The Student Room Group

Ask an Admissions Tutor - applying at 21+

Hi everyone,

My colleague from Christ's has hosted a number of threads allowing students to ask any questions they have about the admissions process at Cambridge, and sometimes got some rather tricky queries from older students, and those with non-standard qualifications. I'm the Admissions Tutor at Lucy Cavendish, which focuses on the education of students aged 21 and over, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applying to Cambridge as a mature student, affiliate, postgraduate, or simply a little bit later than the norm.

If you are going to be 21 or over at the time you start University, you might want to bear in mind that applications to Cambridge stay open beyond October 15, in many subjects.

I look forward to answering your questions, anyhow!

---
IMPORTANT UPDATE : September 2016

Please note that there are likely to be delays replying to posts on this thread due to staffing changes at Lucy Cavendish. In the meantime, I've tagged a few other people who may be able to help for now.: @Christ's Admissions, @Peterhouse Admissions, @Murray Edwards Admissions
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
Hi everyone,

My colleague from Christ's has hosted a number of threads allowing students to ask any questions they have about the admissions process at Cambridge, and sometimes got some rather tricky queries from older students, and those with non-standard qualifications. I'm the Admissions Tutor at Lucy Cavendish, which focuses on the education of students aged 21 and over, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applying to Cambridge as a mature student, affiliate, postgraduate, or simply a little bit later than the norm.

If you are going to be 21 or over at the time you start University, you might want to bear in mind that applications to Cambridge stay open beyond October 15, in many subjects.

I look forward to answering your questions, anyhow!

Dear Lucy Cavendish,

Thank you for creating this wonderful and very helpful thread! Although I am not female, and therefore not able to apply directly to Lucy Cavendish, I do have two questions as a mature student:

1. My academic qualifications are a Certificate of Higher Education in 'Legal Method' from Birkbeck with an awarding mark of 'distinction' (77%), 1 level 1 OU module, and an American high school diploma. I'm interested in studying law and have received conflicting academic requirements from Wolfson, St. Edmunds, and Hughes Hall. Wolfson college considered my academic qualifications adequate to apply, whereas St. Edmunds and Hughes Hall suggested that without A levels or AP courses, I wasn't considered a strong applicant to apply. Do academic prerequisites vary considerably from college to college at Cambridge?

2. What additional information should a mature student include in their personal statement? Should it still be mainly academic in content?

Thank you in advance for your help and clarification!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Perks25
Dear Lucy Cavendish,

Thank you for creating this wonderful and very helpful thread! Although I am not female, and therefore not able to apply directly to Lucy Cavendish, I do have two questions as a mature student:

1. My academic qualifications are a Certificate of Higher Education in 'Legal Method' from Birkbeck with an awarding mark of 'distinction' (77%), 1 level 1 OU module, and an American high school diploma. I'm interested in studying law and have received conflicting academic requirements from Wolfson, St. Edmunds, and Hughes Hall. Wolfson college considered my academic qualifications adequate to apply, whereas St. Edmunds and Hughes Hall suggested that without A levels or AP courses, I wasn't considered a strong applicant to apply. Do academic prerequisites vary considerably from college to college at Cambridge?

2. What additional information should a mature student include in their personal statement? Should it still be mainly academic in content?

Thank you in advance for your help and clarification!

Academic prerequisites don't generally vary much from college to college, when it comes to 'standard' qualifications (i.e. the ones listed here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/). But colleges do vary in the experience that they have in dealing with non-standard qualifications, and their preferences at subject level, particularly when it comes to Law, which I'm guessing you're applying for?

In terms of your qualifications, neither your US High School Diploma, nor your OU credits at Level 1, are likely to be of much interest to Cambridge. Your Certificate in Higher Education, however, is at A-level (plus) standard, so should be acceptable at many colleges, given that you achieved such a high grade. I have certainly interviewed candidates from the same Birkbeck course that you've completed. I'm guessing what Hughes Hall and St Edmund's may be concerned about is the narrowness of focus, which effectively means that Law is the only subject you've studied to an appropriate level; they may have a preference for a mix of subjects, and certainly, prior knowledge of Law does not itself confer any special advantage on applicants for Law.

Where the personal statement is concerned, yes, it should mainly be academic in content. The most common pitfall, for mature students, is feeling they have to go into too much detail on their trajectory so far. It's good to include a sentence or two providing information about any contextual factors that have affected your education in the past, as well as any employment that has helped you develop relevant skills (e.g. resilience, time management), but what an Admissions Tutor really wants to see is that you're passionate about your subject!
Reply 3

heya. this is a pleasant surprise. i'm a mature american with previous sub-par qualifications. i'll be sitting for the british A levels. if i do well for the A levels will i be even considered or should i not bother at all since the college may reject my application based on my current qualifications i've attained? won't the college wait to see the outcome of my A level results are before deciding whether to accept me or not? i'm a late bloomer. Do i not stand a chance at all?
Don't worry, lots of successful applicants to Cambridge have a past history of underperformance. Generally speaking, Admissions Tutors are only interested in your most recent course of study - in your case, A-levels. That said, it is true that we can only make a judgement based on the evidence in front of us. If you're taking A-levels over two years, there should be no issue, since you'll have AS marks by the time you apply. If you're taking A-levels over one year, you need to make sure you have strong predictions from your academic referee, and it might be an idea to delay your application until after Christmas, if you can, since this will give an A-level Tutor more time to get to know you (four Colleges - Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's and Wolfson - accept applications up until March 1, in most subjects). You might also want to consider applying to a College that asks for advanced written work, since this gives you additional scope for demonstrating what you can do.
Reply 5
One last question. How does Cambridge asses students who are currently studying at a university outside of the UK? I know that Cambridge doesn't accept transfer students, but if I was considering applying as a non-transfer student, would my current BA be used to asses my application? I'm currently studying a BA in International Studies at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. I chose this program because I was not accepted to any of my UCAS choices last year due to poor performance on the LNAT. However, after receiving a distinction on my CertHE from Birkbeck, I feel encouraged to reapply to universities that don't require the LNAT. And although I am enjoying my current studies, I still feel quite passionate and determined to study law. I chose my current studies based on the fact that I could always go on to the LPC after, but if I can, I would like to study other areas of law that are not covered on the LPC syllabus.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there!

I'm a 23 year old graduate of biomedical science (1st class) wanting to study medicine. Do you think it would be futile applying for your graduate course in medicine with the following A levels: biology A grade, chemistry B grade, physics D grade; AS levels in music and psychology both B grades.

Regards,
Christy!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
If you're taking A-levels over one year, you need to make sure you have strong predictions from your academic referee, and it might be an idea to delay your application until after Christmas, if you can, since this will give an A-level Tutor more time to get to know you (four Colleges - Hughes Hall, Lucy Cavendish, St Edmund's and Wolfson - accept applications up until March 1, in most subjects). You might also want to consider applying to a College that asks for advanced written work, since this gives you additional scope for demonstrating what you can do.

Heya Admissions. i am an aspiring law student. this is indeed news to me that the mature colleges accept applications until March 1 in most subjects. where can i find more info on this? from my understanding oct 15 was the cutoff. i do not wish to be in for a rude shock if i sent in my application off after the Oct 15 only to be told that it will not be entertained as it was late :eek:

where can i also find out which mature Colleges ask for advanced written work for say law applicants?
Original post by Perks25
One last question. How does Cambridge asses students who are currently studying at a university outside of the UK? I know that Cambridge doesn't accept transfer students, but if I was considering applying as a non-transfer student, would my current BA be used to asses my application? I'm currently studying a BA in International Studies at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. I chose this program because I was not accepted to any of my UCAS choices last year due to poor performance on the LNAT. However, after receiving a distinction on my CertHE from Birkbeck, I feel encouraged to reapply to universities that don't require the LNAT. And although I am enjoying my current studies, I still feel quite passionate and determined to study law. I chose my current studies based on the fact that I could always go on to the LPC after, but if I can, I would like to study other areas of law that are not covered on the LPC syllabus.

Hi again (and sorry for the delay in responding to your previous post - my reply is still being moderated!). You're right that Cambridge doesn't allow transfers. However, study at another University can be used to demonstrate that you meet the standards for entry, and we certainly have a number of students coming to Lucy Cavendish next month who have already spent a year on a BA programme elsewhere in Europe. Can you tell me a bit more about your course at Leiden, and the grades you have achieved?
Original post by christyriot
Hi there!

I'm a 23 year old graduate of biomedical science (1st class) wanting to study medicine. Do you think it would be futile applying for your graduate course in medicine with the following A levels: biology A grade, chemistry B grade, physics D grade; AS levels in music and psychology both B grades.

Regards,
Christy!

Hi Christy, I'm afraid the minimum requirement for our graduate course in Medicine is an A grade in A-level Chemistry, and to be competitive, you'd also realistically, need at least a B in both your other A2 subjects. Sorry!
Original post by Maura Kat
Heya Admissions. i am an aspiring law student. this is indeed news to me that the mature colleges accept applications until March 1 in most subjects. where can i find more info on this? from my understanding oct 15 was the cutoff. i do not wish to be in for a rude shock if i sent in my application off after the Oct 15 only to be told that it will not be entertained as it was late :eek:

where can i also find out which mature Colleges ask for advanced written work for say law applicants?

Information about the delayed deadline is available on the Study at Cambridge website, or on any of the mature college sites. The bad news is, Law is unfortunately one of the seven subjects for which October 15 remains the cut-off (along with Architecture, History of Art, Medicine, Music, Philosophy and Vet Medicine), though you're fine in any other subject if you change your mind about your choice of degree. The "Entry Requirements" tab of the Law course page on the Study at Cambridge website contains a table setting out the ways in which each College assesses applicants for the subject. To save you looking, though, I can tell you that Lucy Cavendish and Wolfson both ask for advance written work from Law applicants, as do Emmanuel, Magdalene and Peterhouse, should you decide to opt for a non-mature college.
Why isn't a CertHE from the OU enough for admission? I was told repeatedly that I needed at least 60 credits at level 2 or 3 on top of the CertHE to be considered, but if I took those extra modules, I would be ineligible for a full student loan were I to come to Cambridge. In effect, Cambridge places impossible burdens on OU students and I'd like to know why?

Original post by Perks25
I'm currently studying a BA in International Studies at the University of Leiden

I hope you don't mind me butting in, but what's that degree like? I very nearly applied for it. Also, are you planning on completing the BA before going to Cambridge?
ITo save you looking, though, I can tell you that Lucy Cavendish and Wolfson both ask for advance written work from Law applicants, as do Emmanuel, Magdalene and Peterhouse, should you decide to opt for a non-mature college.

It's a saturday and you're here on TSR doing this. thank you.
you did not mention your name or how long this thread will be open for.
Original post by Samual
Why isn't a CertHE from the OU enough for admission? I was told repeatedly that I needed at least 60 credits at level 2 or 3 on top of the CertHE to be considered, but if I took those extra modules, I would be ineligible for a full student loan were I to come to Cambridge. In effect, Cambridge places impossible burdens on OU students and I'd like to know why?

Hi Samual, what you've flagged up here sounds like a really unfortunate anomaly. Many colleges would accept a CertHE, in many subjects, and from many institutions, assuming it was achieved at Distinction level. However, historically, candidates who have only come to Cambridge with credits from the OU have been asked for credits at Level 2 (and credits at Level 1 - like the ones you presumably gained on your CertHE - have been discounted). I don't think that was an issue when the OU's fees were lower, and when the OU itself was more receptive to students jumping straight to Level 2. But I'd agree, it does sound as though it's starting to exclude people, and Cambridge needs to address this. I'll raise with my colleagues and come back to you.
It's a saturday and you're here on TSR doing this. thank you.
you did not mention your name or how long this thread will be open for.

I'm Emily Tomlinson, and I'm the Admissions Director at Lucy Cavendish. This thread will be open for as long as people need it!
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm Emily Tomlinson, and I'm the Admissions Tutor at Lucy Cavendish. This thread will be open for as long as people need it!

Hi Emily. i wanted to ask you. suppose an applicant is rejected when the college receives and processes the application. the said applicant goes on to do well for the A levels. if after the release of the said A level results, the applicant gets in touch with the college that rejected the application months ago, will the said college look through the application again or simply stand by its original decision months ago?
Reply 16
Hi again (and sorry for the delay in responding to your previous post - my reply is still being moderated!). You're right that Cambridge doesn't allow transfers. However, study at another University can be used to demonstrate that you meet the standards for entry, and we certainly have a number of students coming to Lucy Cavendish next month who have already spent a year on a BA programme elsewhere in Europe. Can you tell me a bit more about your course at Leiden, and the grades you have achieved?

Hi, and thank you for your response. The BA in International Studies is a comparative area study program. Students study the history, culture, economics, politics, and a corresponding language of a particular world region. On top of that, students are also required to take several core modules in philosophy of science, sociolinguistics, international politics, and political economy. Unfortunately, I only just started the course so I don't have any grades yet, but I will start having grades to show in December when exam and midterm results are due. I also have a few written assignments (essays) due in the coming weeks, and I suppose those will have been marked and returned within a week or two.
Hi Emily. i wanted to ask you. suppose an applicant is rejected when the college receives and processes the application. the said applicant goes on to do well for the A levels. if after the release of the said A level results, the applicant gets in touch with the college that rejected the application months ago, will the said college look through the application again or simply stand by its original decision months ago?

De-selection decisions are final, unfortunately. But should you be de-selected (or rejected after interview), then go on to achieve A-level results at Cambridge standard, it's certainly worth considering re-applying the following year. Plenty of people get in on the second attempt, and students of all ages without UMS (AS) scores can often be in a stronger position post qualification.
Original post by Perks25
Hi, and thank you for your response. The BA in International Studies is a comparative area study program. Students study the history, culture, economics, politics, and a corresponding language of a particular world region. On top of that, students are also required to take several core modules in philosophy of science, sociolinguistics, international politics, and political economy. Unfortunately, I only just started the course so I don't have any grades yet, but I will start having grades to show in December when exam and midterm results are due. I also have a few written assignments (essays) due in the coming weeks, and I suppose those will have been marked and returned within a week or two.

This sounds like a perfect complement to your CertHE. Cambridge would usually be looking for grades of 7.5+ on the Dutch University scale, so if the College you apply to asks for advanced written work, and you can submit something at that level - or a supplementary reference from a Leiden lecturer stating you're working at that level - it will strengthen your application. Even mentioning it in your personal statement would be a plus.
Reply 19
This sounds like a perfect complement to your CertHE. Cambridge would usually be looking for grades of 7.5+ on the Dutch University scale, so if the College you apply to asks for advanced written work, and you can submit something at that level - or a supplementary reference from a Leiden lecturer stating you're working at that level - it will strengthen your application. Even mentioning it in your personal statement would be a plus.

Thank you for the response! I received a mark back for one assignment, which was a 9 on the Dutch grading scale, so I suppose I feel confident enough that I could realistically achieve a 7.5 when it comes time to hand in my other written work/exams. I'll be sure to contact Wolfson directly and explain my current situation. Thank you again for your help! This is such a wonderful thread, I wish something similar to it existed last year!

Latest