The Student Room Group

Do you believe Westminster will keep its promises to Scotland?

Poll

Do you think Westminster will keep its promises to Scotland?

As an English person I am already starting to feel ashamed that the likes of Cameron and Miliband are showing signs of failing to follow through on their promises for more devolved powers for Scotland.

The Scots do not have a monopoly on disliking Westminster. It irritates me the way they refuse to listen to anybody.

BTW, if there's an in/out referendum on the EU do you think it should have to be carried in at least one out of Scotland, Wales, NI in addition to England?
I think they'll come up with something which fulfills their promises. It may well not be as much as the Scots were hoping for, though.

The whole situation points to a kind of federal UK, as long as Miliband gives ground.
Reply 2
a federalist UK would be great
Unfortunately I think they will keep them.

After that, no more concessions though, frack the **** out of their land, get the oil and use the empty space to build cities to house the poorest people. That way if ever they go, they can enjoy poverty literally forever.
Reply 4
Original post by Thomas2
As an English person I am already starting to feel ashamed that the likes of Cameron and Miliband are showing signs of failing to follow through on their promises for more devolved powers for Scotland.

Give them a chance. Even the greatest political theorists couldn't decide upon and put into action such major constitutional changes in a day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Thomas2

The Scots do not have a monopoly on disliking Westminster. It irritates me the way they refuse to listen to anybody.

BTW, if there's an in/out referendum on the EU do you think it should have to be carried in at least one out of Scotland, Wales, NI in addition to England?

If there is an in/out referendum it would be carried out throughout the UK.
Reply 6
Original post by SirMasterKey
If there is an in/out referendum it would be carried out throughout the UK.

What I was getting at was 'should there be a requirement that there be a majority in favour in at least two of the constituent parts of the UK in addition to an overall majority?' This is to avoid a situation whereby England votes Yes and Scotland, Wales and NI vote No.
Original post by Thomas2
What I was getting at was 'should there be a requirement that there be a majority in favour in at least two of the constituent parts of the UK in addition to an overall majority?' This is to avoid a situation whereby England votes Yes and Scotland, Wales and NI vote No.

Aaah now I get you. That is a toughie really. Hmmm :holmes:
Reply 8
I'm a Scot who votes Tory in England and I do think he will give then power. Milk and has to yield or Scottish Labour will be slaughtered, Cameron's laid a great trap here.

If Cameron betrays the Scots, I certainly won't vote Tory in 2010.
Reply 9
Reply 10
It's embarrassing that they offered it when they did the first place - as a clear bribe to Scottish people to vote 'No'. Having made their promise, they should stick to it - but I bet you they won't
Doubt it would happen in this Parliament.

Next Parliament, probably won't happen either.
Reply 12
15,000 people joined the SNP over the weekend...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending