The Student Room Group

Medicine with a C in English Language?

Ok, so I got 'C' in English Language. I am not sure if this grade will hold me back in terms of my medicine application in year 13, My other grades are really good and so far everything is going great with my AS level studies. Would really appreciate some sound advice. Thinking of resisting the exam this November tho.

These are my GCSE results:

Math-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Religious Studies-A*
English Literature-A
Geography-A
Economics-A
Statistics-A (Did Exam in Year 10)
CCW (Short)-B
ICT (Short)-C
French (Foundation Tier)- C
English Language- C

All together 5A*'s, 4A's, 1B's, 3C's
Reply 1
Ok, so I got 'C' in English Language. I am not sure if this grade will hold me back in terms of my medicine application in year 13, My other grades are really good and so far everything is going great with my AS level studies. Would really appreciate some sound advice. Thinking of resisting the exam this November tho.

These are my GCSE results:

Math-A*
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
Religious Studies-A*
English Literature-A
Geography-A
Economics-A
Statistics-A (Did Exam in Year 10)
CCW (Short)-B
ICT (Short)-C
French (Foundation Tier)- C
English Language- C

All together 5A*'s, 4A's, 1B's, 3C's
I literally got the same grades as you except for a B in English language (without the Cs though). When I looked at Nottingham, they wanted a minimum of a B in English Language at GCSE :L. I would definitely retake English Language if I were you.
If i recall correctly there's a set of pages on the TSR wiki that breaks down which of the Medical schools have particular penchants / fetishses

i.e. those who like specific subjects / grades at GCSE

those what use the different aptitude testing processes or don't ...
Reply 4
Email universities about whether a resit would be unfavourable and whether you would be ranked by your GCSEs.
Some may also allow you to use your English Literature grade instead of the language one, may be worth asking as the rest of your grades are decent.
But no one here is going to have a definite answer for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SuperiorGenius
I literally got the same grades as you except for a B in English language (without the Cs though). When I looked at Nottingham, they wanted a minimum of a B in English Language at GCSE :L. I would definitely retake English Language if I were you.

Do u think if I resit English Language GCSE it might put me at a disadvantage? Also, is it possible they can use my English Literature Grade instead or even an average of the two? :colondollar:

Original post by zippyRN
If i recall correctly there's a set of pages on the TSR wiki that breaks down which of the Medical schools have particular penchants / fetishses

i.e. those who like specific subjects / grades at GCSE

those what use the different aptitude testing processes or don't ...

Can u send me the link, can't find it?
Maybe you should resit English language if there's an issue. However I can't imagine it being a problem. I think it would be more important for you to do well in your AS subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending