The Student Room Group

Why is skinny shaming suddenly acceptable in pop music?

Nicki Minaj, I'm looking at you. Slightly hypocritical considering your bum is silicone and transfered fat. It's not acceptable to have the words "**** you if you're skinny" and "**** the skinny bitches"... Along with countless other references to guys wanting a big fat ass and " something he can grab".

Also, this song called "all about that bass", sung but what I can only describe as a slight overweight girl (Megan Trainor) . Constantly reiterates that boys love her "junk in the right places" and they "want a bit more booty to hold at night" along, again with references to "skinny bitches".

This, coupled with other songs like that new Jlo abomination Booty and "wiggle wiggle wiggle".. Or whatever it's called. It seems like all pop songs are about arses. Which is fair enough, but why the constant degradation of skinnier women? Why call them bitches? Is a slim woman or one who does not posses an ass the size of Jupiter automatically a bitch? No!

I'm all for positive body image but these songs are giving a very warped message and considering it's the sort of music that teenage girls listen to, its dangerous. Obviously don't promote skinny as the ideal but saying skinny is abnormal and unattractive isn't exactly going to do wonders for girl's self esteem (considering during their teenage years a lot of girls are pretty lanky).

Rant over

Scroll to see replies

It's not okay, it's really rude, people should stop putting people's body types down. I don't know why people do it!
Had to google the all the bass song but I quite enjoyed it, mainly it was the guy dancing. Booty is good though.
I completely agree with you, sometimes it seems its fine to call somebody for being skinny but unacceptable to call them for being bigger.. :confused:
Wiggle wiggle wiggle :elefant:
Although I agree that there is an issue and that any sort of body shaming should never be acceptable, I think we need to be a little careful about what we condemn. I have seen people taking things as personal insults when they're really not, and in the process discouraging people of larger body sizes from proclaiming the love for their bodies, if you see what I mean?

So yeah, body shaming = not okay. Expressing positive messages about body types that aren't usually portrayed positively by the media = fine. It's getting to the point where people are taking the second as suggesting the first. Especially because the second is so important at the moment.
Original post by charlottei
Although I agree that there is an issue and that any sort of body shaming should never be acceptable, I think we need to be a little careful about what we condemn. I have seen people taking things as personal insults when they're really not, and in the process discouraging people of larger body sizes from proclaiming the love for their bodies, if you see what I mean?

So yeah, body shaming = not okay. Expressing positive messages about body types that aren't usually portrayed positively by the media = fine. It's getting to the point where people are taking the second as suggesting the first. Especially because the second is so important at the moment.

No I agree! I think it's fine to celebrate all body types. This isn't really new anyway, with Bootylicious and other songs from the 00s. What's new is this whole "skinny bitches" thing... I mean "**** the skinny bitches" couldn't really be more blatant if it tried.
Once you realise that mainstream pop music is made for cretins then you stop caring about its contents. The lyrics are god-awful but not much you can do about it when half the population lap it up.
Original post by illusionz
Once you realise that mainstream pop music is made for cretins then you stop caring about its contents. The lyrics are god-awful but not much you can do about it when half the population lap it up.

such edge

Yeah I know, it's all silly nonsense and I'm not even taking particular offence personally because I'm not skinny. I just know what my 15 year old self would be thinking and it's just a negative message to be sending out to teenagers who are probably already massively self conscious.
No one has said it's acceptable, I don't think. I think it's just they way artists are going for money. I only heard that song last week and I cringed at the bit insulting girls who are 'skinny'. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fizzel
Anaconda is great video.

Anyway I think its just them backlashing to what they feel is negativity they have received throughout their lives for having big butts and such at the hands of skinny girls.

Hmm... Except nicki minaj only had a big butt when she went a paid for it for the purpose of furthering her career by being able to make songs like anaconda. No reason to call people skinny bitches and have some superiority complex because you deem your body to be what men want.
Thin Privilege. Check your privileges.
tbh, if skinny people (like myself) feel like their body type is being shamed by the video then they can always close the tab and open a women-targeted magazine which will be filled of pictures of equally skinny women, almost certainly validating the skinny body type

i'm not saying that people should go out to 'shame' other body types but i'd say that on the whole, skinny girls have it better when it comes to media portrayal
sorry
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It's not okay, it's really rude, people should stop putting people's body types down. I don't know why people do it!

Hint 1: its not meant to be taken seriously
Original post by + polarity -
such edge

I'm not even edgy but most of what's on the radio these days is ****ing terrible. I'm sure it wasn't so bad back in like 2009/2010.

But yes as you insinuated, pop music is not my genre. I'm more into hip hop and trance
Fat girls are more likely to be mentally weak, impressionable or persuaded, and with a rise in the number of people (both men and women) who are overweight or obese, songs are marketed to the hugely growing market (pun slightly intended) of young, easy to dupe girls. The pop industry is basically for teenage girls, and now more are getting fat, song subjects are reflecting this.
I'm not even edgy but most of what's on the radio these days is ****ing terrible. I'm sure it wasn't so bad back in like 2009/2010.

But yes as you insinuated, pop music is not my genre. I'm more into hip hop and trance

Ah, 2010, when music was actually music. Some great retro stuff.

:facepalm2:
Original post by Solivagant
Ah, 2010, when music was actually music. Some great retro stuff.

:facepalm2:

At what point did I say it was retro. Are you brain damaged?
At what point did I say it was retro. Are you brain damaged?

The ad hominem is strong with this one.

Quick Reply

Latest