The Student Room Group

Can the human brain only recognise one object at a time?

Scroll to see replies

If figure ground perception is to hold, which as a law of perception it does, it is one object at a time. Unless you can prove me wrong.
My viewpoint is that vision is divided into 2 pathways...

1) Where pathway
2) What pathway

1) Where pathway means you don't bump into objects. Say when walking, you are not paying attention to everything in your environment, but you won't bump into it.

2) What pathway is recognition. This is done with the central foveal vision, essentially when a visual scene is separated into figure and ground. The figure is recognised, the ground is ignored.

... i dont really understand what your point is.
Reply 23
Bump
Reply 24
Bump..
Reply 25
Original post by godd
Bump

Original post by godd
Bump..

OMG! Two Bumps!

My brain can't recognise so many objects at once!! What do they mean???
I by recognise you mean "put a name to" I'd say it takes me about 1-2 seconds for each one. Except the unusual ones.

If you mean, recognise it's an object your SHOULD know the name of, probably quicker.

It took me just a few seconds to scan the image and deduce that it is a grid-like arrangement of common objects. But there could be something in there that I missed by my quick scan.
Original post by imnotalibrarian
Try the invisible gorilla video, it was a study to see how the mind sees things and found that 50% of people didnt see the gorilla, the study helped the 'don't text and drive' campaign. The study was about a decade ago I think but it has been applied to other theories too

Posted from TSR Mobile

but that means that 50% did ​see the gorilla

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending