The Student Room Group

% Yield Help

"8.2g of propan-2-ol is oxidised to form 2.9g of compound Q. Calculate the percentage yield of Q."

I should really know this but my head has gone completely blank. I'm aware of the basics of calculating percentage yield but I just hit a wall with this question. Any help appreciated!
Original post by .Trooper.
"8.2g of propan-2-ol is oxidised to form 2.9g of compound Q. Calculate the percentage yield of Q."

I should really know this but my head has gone completely blank. I'm aware of the basics of calculating percentage yield but I just hit a wall with this question. Any help appreciated!

The percentage yield equals the amount of product created over the amount of product that was wanted, all of it multiplied by 100.
You would therefore divide 2.9 by 8.2.
You would then multiply by 100 to gain a percentage.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
As worded question has no solution. You can't calculate percentage yield not knowing the theoretical yield, and this is neither given, nor possible to calculate without knowing what Q is.
Original post by Borek
As worded question has no solution. You can't calculate percentage yield not knowing the theoretical yield, and this is neither given, nor possible to calculate without knowing what Q is.

You are told that the secondary alcohol is oxidised... the product is a ketone, i.e. propanone
Reply 4
Good point. Sigh.

Quick Reply

Latest