The Student Room Group

Thinking about talking a self-defense course

I'll be moving out of my parents home next year and working in another city my mum has been urging me to pick up self-defense class to protect myself against men because the city I'll be moving to has a reputation for women being harassed and possibly even raped by men.

I can't say which city it is in case people I know realise who I am. But you can imagine.

Anyway thoughts?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
If they only harass women then why are you worried?
Reply 2
Original post by obidobi

I'm a girl.
Original post by obidobi

op could be trans gendered
buy a freedom dispenser instead

What city are you moving too?
Depends on how much contact you want. You could try kick boxing, I'm going to see if I can start jiu jitsu or something, looks pretty good. Or even just attended a few classes to watch the different varieties and pick one you like.
Reply 7
Original post by bertstare
buy a freedom dispenser instead

:rofl:
Where you moving? Mumbai ?
Reply 9
Following feminist logic, you shouldn't take self-defense courses. That suggests that you have a sense of responsibility or ability to prevent an assault/rape. Just do nothing, and we should teach men not to assault/rape instead.

To answer the question seriously, then yes, a self-defense course might be helpful. However, you should focus more on never getting into a situation where you need it. If you are walking at night, know your route, know a safe place, and know which paths to take. Bring a rape-whistle, etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
A self-defence course might be useful, but probably not that useful. I think it would be useful in generating an awareness of safer practices that exist (e.g., carrying a decoy purse, not walking closely to bushes where people might be waiting, etc.). But that's about the extent of it. A self-defence course will not help you fend off a mugger or stop a rape-attack. To be able to confront violence takes a lot of training and isn't to be underestimated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Arkasia
Following feminist logic, you shouldn't take self-defense courses. That suggests that you have a sense of responsibility or ability to prevent an assault/rape. Just do nothing, and we should teach men not to assault/rape instead.

To answer the question seriously, then yes, a self-defense course might be helpful. However, you should focus more on never getting into a situation where you need it. If you are walking at night, know your route, know a safe place, and know which paths to talk. Bring a rape-whistle, etc.

victim blaming at it's finest
Original post by Marky Mark
victim blaming at it's finest

Uh-huh. Cool. What's your point exactly?
Reply 13
Original post by Arkasia
Uh-huh. Cool. What's your point exactly?

Well your whole post reads as though you're blaming women for being raped or harassed. I'm not dumb I won't walk down a risky alley but expecting women to carry whistles so that men won't rape is ridiculous.
Reply 14
Original post by consumed by stuff
Where you moving? Mumbai ?

London.
Original post by Marky Mark
Well your whole post reads as though you're blaming women for being raped or harassed. I'm not dumb I won't walk down a risky alley but expecting women to carry whistles so that men won't rape is ridiculous.

I am suggesting ways to help. If you think women have no part to play, and rapists gonna rape, then why are you going to take self-defence classes? Surely you realize the risks, whilst not totally removed, can be limited or reduced by certain actions or items?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending