The Student Room Group

Fear of Intimacy

Hiii
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tflanjee
I think I have a fear of intimacy. The idea of anyone touching me or getting close to someone makes me want to run away, and I've hurt guys feelings in the past when I blow hot and cold.
Anyone else have any experience with this or ways to help? Have got myself into another situation...

When you say close, is this physically? There could be many different reasons from asexuality (a form of it, i.e. demisexual, greysexusl etc) to a bad experience either personally, someone you know or when you were younger watching something that influenced. I can't really say what it is as I'm not you.

In terms of experience, I have a fear of commitment. Not the same at all, I know, but for me it means I lack experience in being intimate with someone, which then makes me nervous/unsure I want to go down that route in relationship. Maybe if you've never been intimate with someone it can be unnerving to begin with. Before uni, even hugging friends was strange to me but quite a few uni mates hug goodbye so I got used to it.
I feel like I know what you mean. Well, as in, I think somebody I know has this.

Hi, if you're reading this :biggrin: (you know who you are)

You can't really change who you are, so just be yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I have that too, its weird. For me I think its because I'm always the one who falls for someone who doesn't like me back or as much so it freaks me out to think anyone would want me :P sad times. One of my friends told me he loved me and I told him to piss off, I don't think you could've said anything that bad :P
Reply 4
I can relate. Opening up can be difficult and painful, and I have had intrusive thoughts about what would happen to me or them if I got close to someone.

I think it is that fear of vulnerability, once we've opened we think they can hurt us-but love isn't about hurt, it's about trust :smile:
Original post by Riku
I can relate. Opening up can be difficult and painful, and I have had intrusive thoughts about what would happen to me or them if I got close to someone.

I think it is that fear of vulnerability, once we've opened we think they can hurt us-but love isn't about hurt, it's about trust :smile:

riku how is the lifting are you making gains, have you been on sluthate.com it's the new puahate, also is your username after riku from final fantasy 10
Reply 6
Original post by Greg Jackson
riku how is the lifting are you making gains, have you been on sluthate.com it's the new puahate, also is your username after riku from final fantasy 10

no gains mate, not enough money to afford enough protein haha :') I go for therapeutic reasons

I do my best to stay away from PUAhate and all that…PUAhate is bad but better than RedPill...

No that's Rikku in FFX :tongue: this is Riku from Kingdom Hearts
Read this thread and all I could think of was the female therapy group leader in the tv comedy 'Dear John'

"Was it a......sexual problem?"

Sorry,😳

Quick Reply

Latest