The Student Room Group

Help! Are my A Levels hard enough?

I want to study Law and I soon need to pick A Levels. I was thinking:
English Lit
History
Psychology
Philosophy

Is philosophy and psychology considered easy? Also how is gov and politics thought of?
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
Is philosophy and psychology considered easy?

philosophy - no
psychology - sort of, you have 3 solid subjects though so it doesn't really matter

Also how is gov and politics thought of?

i wouldn't suggest it
Reply 2
Philosophy is incredibly difficult, do not underestimate it. And it's looked on highly by unis
Psychology A2 is hard, AS is considered 'soft', but still worth doing, and most unis wouldn't judge you for it.
Russel Group facilitating subjects:

Maths and further maths
Physics
English Lit
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
History
Languages

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

That said, at the end of the day you need to pick whichever subjects you enjoy and whichever ones you think you would do well in.
Well phil eng lit and history are based around reading and comprehension which is what a lawyer is supposed to be good at. Psychology ... I guess its more or a scientific subject... its an option
Reply 5
Philosophy and Government and Politics are soft subjects - psychology to some degree is soft too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Arithmeticae
philosophy - no
psychology - sort of, you have 3 solid subjects though so it doesn't really matter

i wouldn't suggest it

Original post by mickey27
Philosophy is incredibly difficult, do not underestimate it. And it's looked on highly by unis
Psychology A2 is hard, AS is considered 'soft', but still worth doing, and most unis wouldn't judge you for it.

Original post by GraceTheSheep
Russel Group facilitating subjects:

Maths and further maths
Physics
English Lit
Biology
Chemistry
Geography
History
Languages

http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

That said, at the end of the day you need to pick whichever subjects you enjoy and whichever ones you think you would do well in.

Original post by sunnydespair
Well phil eng lit and history are based around reading and comprehension which is what a lawyer is supposed to be good at. Psychology ... I guess its more or a scientific subject... its an option

Original post by 78Saab
Philosophy and Government and Politics are soft subjects - psychology to some degree is soft too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you. Also some people have suggested doing maths but I am not sure if I could do very well in it. If I get an A* in my GCSE do you think I will be good enough. Do you think having no maths or science will hold me back?
Okay thank you. Also some people have suggested doing maths but I am not sure if I could do very well in it. If I get an A* in my GCSE do you think I will be good enough. Do you think having no maths or science will hold me back?

no, an A* at gcse is not a reliable indicator of how you will perform at a level

not really, there's no set subjects for law (someone from my school did maths/science subjects and got in) but it would probably be useful to take essay subjects
I burst out laughing when I read that list. Peasant subjects.
English Lit
History
Psychology
Philosophy

Is philosophy and psychology considered easy? Also how is gov and politics thought of?

Hi, I did english lit/lang (mixed course), classical civilisation (sort of ancient history/ancient lit) and philosophy. Psychology was my extra AS level. I got offers from UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Southampton and Sheffield. So, those subjects will be fine :smile: don't take maths if you feel you will struggle, the best thing is for you to take subjects you feel you can do well in. It will be better for you to get an A in psych than a B/C in maths, because that will limit your uni choices.
Original post by Arithmeticae
no, an A* at gcse is not a reliable indicator of how you will perform at a level

not really, there's no set subjects for law (someone from my school did maths/science subjects and got in) but it would probably be useful to take essay subjects

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by infairverona
Hi, I did english lit/lang (mixed course), classical civilisation (sort of ancient history/ancient lit) and philosophy. Psychology was my extra AS level. I got offers from UCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Southampton and Sheffield. So, those subjects will be fine :smile: don't take maths if you feel you will struggle, the best thing is for you to take subjects you feel you can do well in. It will be better for you to get an A in psych than a B/C in maths, because that will limit your uni choices.

Thanks for your help and congratulations on your offers.

GCSEs are not a good way to tell. I went from A at GCSE to B at AS, but I know plenty of people who went from A* at GCSE to U at AS.

Having no maths or science is fine, as long as you've got good essay subjects instead. Your current choices only have one facilitating subject (edit: sorry didn't see history there, you have two), but to my knowledge none are heavily looked down on.
(edited 9 years ago)
Those will be fine.
Original post by 78Saab

Posted from TSR Mobile

Philosophy is not a "soft subject". I would argue that it's one of the more difficult A-Levels that you can do.

Don't do maths if you have any doubt at all about if it would be a struggle - it's HARD! It's best to do the subjects you enjoy and get a good grade in them, than do a 'respected' subject and hate it.
I think doing 2 'hard' subjects is a must, you're doing eng lit and history so thats fine :smile:

I'm doing Chem, Bio, History and Sociology... so i've got 3 'hard' subjects
English Lit
History
Psychology
Philosophy

Out of those, English Literature and History are considered 'facilitating', Psychology and Philosophy aren't.
Your subjects are absolutely fine! You won't have any problems with that combination! :biggrin:
If you are going to do Law then government and politics may be more appropriate . However gvt and politics may be a little bit dry

Quick Reply

Latest