The Student Room Group

How to write introduction for first AS history essay?

We've been given our first AS history essay.

'Proportional representation was the most significant factor in bringing about the failure of the Weimar Republic." Do you agree?

I've got the main body of the rest planned and drafted but I'm stuck on the introduction. The teacher said to make a judgement and establish your argument from the start but how do you do that without making it sound like a conclusion?

Online I've seen 'there were many reasons for. . . like. . .one of the most important was. . .'
Or something like a fact (in this instance probably the dramatic jump of votes Hitler got and then something like 'shortly after the republic collapsed' and then introducing the factor you feel is most improtant but is this too narrative or too factual? I have no idea.

Do you say all the factors you are going to argue about then pick the most significant and then argue for that first??

What is the best formula for a strong essay introduction? The best beginning sentence?

We've been warned how different an AS level essay is from GSCE and now I'm doubting any essay skill I've been taught as too basic or wrong.
'Proportional representation was the most significant factor in bringing about the failure of the Weimar Republic."

(specific factor)...was the most significant factor in bringing about the failure of the Weimar Republic- This establishes your argument right from the off, leaving the marker/reader in no doubt about your viewpoint

However the impact of (aforementioned factor) must be considered alongside ... (other factors, usually 3 others)- This introduces the counter-argument and sets up the main body of your essay

Lastly you should briefly discuss the historiography surrounding the topic. e.g. The failure of the Weimar Republic is dominated by the ... position, of which ... is a key writer. This viewpoint is largely echoed in my own judgement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending