The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Are textbooks worth the money?

I'm going to be studying Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology this year, and just got a letter telling me of the course textbook. Is it worth me buying the book (new or used) or can I just use the library? I've heard stories of people spending lots of money on books but end up not using them at all. I'd like to hear opinions of other undergraduate students.
Original post by umar.squared
I'm going to be studying Physics, Astrophysics and Cosmology this year, and just got a letter telling me of the course textbook. Is it worth me buying the book (new or used) or can I just use the library? I've heard stories of people spending lots of money on books but end up not using them at all. I'd like to hear opinions of other undergraduate students.

I got Young and Freedman and the maths book (Riley and Hobson maybe). Everything else you can get from the library. You can get the core books from the library too but you might want to have a copy of your own. There are also some of the required materials as ebooks from the library.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
There's no reason to rush in and buy them before your courses start really.

I waited to see which lecturers were actually going to make heavy use of the books and then picked up those ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending