The Student Room Group

I need advice on privately taking AS

Basically, I need advice on taking my AS levels again privately I didn't do very well the first time I took them because I had a laissez-faire attitude to them. I then got kicked out of the 6th form I was attending and I wasn't able to find anywhere that wasn't full to resit.However I have decided to use most of my free time learning the subjects properly and hopefully doing well enough to pass. I did OCR Chemistry,Physics and Biology and I got EUE in the subjects, however the E's were close to D's but I didn't send them in for a remark because of the E. I need advice on which exam board to use as I have looked at OCR but the coursework is very important and there is nowhere that I can find that will let private students do the practical work. Also, any advice on resources would be greatly appreciated
So you're sitting as an external candidate? You can attend a private sixth form where you can do a fast track A level in a year- improving on As level grades..get a private tutor..coursework many places will do like "3a tutors" in Bristol
I'm doing the exact same thing as you. I failed my AS levels UUED and no college would let me retake except do a BTEC in applied science so I decided to self teach. I'm doing biology chemistry in OCR and RS in AQA.
I decided to be bold and do my A2 with my AS this year bcus i know all the contents from last year I just left revision too late.
I've started this week and my timetable I learn my AS in the morning and A2 in the later afternoon
9-10:15 f211 bio
10:20-11:35 f321 chem
Break
12-1:15 philosophy AS RS
1:20-1:35 islam AS RS
Break 1 hour and half
3-4:15 f324 chem A2
4:20-5:35 f214 bio A2
It's really not alot it looks like "whoah" but it's working for me plus remember you are at your home where u don't have an excuse of feeling tired. you can have the rest if the evening after 5pm off to do whatever you like. NEVER study after 6pm

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by radicalboujie
I'm doing the exact same thing as you. I failed my AS levels UUED and no college would let me retake except do a BTEC in applied science so I decided to self teach. I'm doing biology chemistry in OCR and RS in AQA.
I decided to be bold and do my A2 with my AS this year bcus i know all the contents from last year I just left revision too late.
I've started this week and my timetable I learn my AS in the morning and A2 in the later afternoon
9-10:15 f211 bio
10:20-11:35 f321 chem
Break
12-1:15 philosophy AS RS
1:20-1:35 islam AS RS
Break 1 hour and half
3-4:15 f324 chem A2
4:20-5:35 f214 bio A2
It's really not alot it looks like "whoah" but it's working for me plus remember you are at your home where u don't have an excuse of feeling tired. you can have the rest if the evening after 5pm off to do whatever you like. NEVER study after 6pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah..never give up !!!.It depends what your future goals are!!! Like I wish I took btecs as it's quite easy to achieve a distinction/D* and all the Russell group unis except oxbridge of course) accept them! I know someone who got into Durham with all D*/D btecs! Try to do loads of past papers & revise loads! It'll be worth it in the end! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lozasaurus99
Ah..never give up !!!.It depends what your future goals are!!! Like I wish I took btecs as it's quite easy to achieve a distinction/D* and all the Russell group unis except oxbridge of course) accept them! I know someone who got into Durham with all D*/D btecs! Try to do loads of past papers & revise loads! It'll be worth it in the end! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha thanks im interesting in appying for biomedical science. thing with doing BTEC is that it isnt respected as much by russell group unis. alot of teachers tried rubbing btec science at me but i refused, im not being a snob but for future uni applications theyre more likely to pick an alevel student over a btec one(just honesty)
ALEVELS ARE A MUST! SERIOUSLY
haha thanks im interesting in appying for biomedical science. thing with doing BTEC is that it isnt respected as much by russell group unis. alot of teachers tried rubbing btec science at me but i refused, im not being a snob but for future uni applications theyre more likely to pick an alevel student over a btec one(just honesty)
ALEVELS ARE A MUST! SERIOUSLY

Nooooooo you've been hearing loads of myths only a bit is true!!! I use to think the exactly the same, until I flopped my A2s and realised how easy a btec is. EVERY RG uni accepts them except oxbridge I know someone who not only got into Durham, but people also I know have gone to top unis like Exeter/Kcl/Queen Mary with btec diplomas/applied ! If it wasn't that respected why are the ucas points the same e.g. -D*=140 which is same as A* which many people would find a struggle to achieve at A level! Like 2 A levels and a btec look good. Distinction on your cv would definitely look way better than a mediocre C' grade? Right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But..I understand why many people think so..why are top unis accepting candidates with btec vocational qualifications, when they are applying to study an academic degree. Surely, it shows commitment and if they did struggle at gcses ..then it shows perseverance that they've still worked hard and achieved a distinction which is pretty easy.
I understand but I'm trying to do a biomed course then hopefully graduate entry med (I know it's competitive lol) which is why I meant in the direction I'm heading alevels are essential. You're right but it depends what course your looking at. What is it u want to study if you don't mind?
Btw I'm not rly smart it takes me twice the work to get a decent grade my as levels were mediocre but yanow lolz gotta work twice as hard this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I understand but I'm trying to do a biomed course then hopefully graduate entry med (I know it's competitive lol) which is why I meant in the direction I'm heading alevels are essential. You're right but it depends what course your looking at. What is it u want to study if you don't mind?
Btw I'm not rly smart it takes me twice the work to get a decent grade my as levels were mediocre but yanow lolz gotta work twice as hard this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same I mostly achieve B/C grades which is okay. :/ that's why I think btecs are the easy way for entrance into a top uni. Politics and International relations or European/International Law are the subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Though good luck for your future!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi need help.

I live in South East london, CR4.

Looking to do Economics AS OCR as a private candidate for 2015. It is a RE-SIT. No tuition or any sort required, I am self teaching.

Two exams - F581 + F582. No coursework.

Cost of whole course examination fee is £42.40 set by OCR.

Need to find an examination centre ?

Any recommendations that have CLEAR updated PRICING and is under £60 per exam and is under 20 miles from CR4.

Please anyone let me know ASAP.
Reply 11
As a private candidate, most examination centres don't allow practical assessment. For science this can really impact grades because like 20% of the marks are awarded this way. Even with full marks in the written examinations getting an A would still be impossible. Does anyone know of any exam board that offers a paper in place of practical assessment? Because I haven't committed to any exam board yet. I've been using OCR books and resources and I've done a few Edexcel papers.

I heard there is an exam board that does offer a paper instead but I don't know which one it is, if anyone knows that would be really helpful.
Original post by swimdeeper
As a private candidate, most examination centres don't allow practical assessment. For science this can really impact grades because like 20% of the marks are awarded this way. Even with full marks in the written examinations getting an A would still be impossible. Does anyone know of any exam board that offers a paper in place of practical assessment? Because I haven't committed to any exam board yet. I've been using OCR books and resources and I've done a few Edexcel papers.

I heard there is an exam board that does offer a paper instead but I don't know which one it is, if anyone knows that would be really helpful.

OFQUAL currently insists that 20% of Science A level sis assessed practically, hence all the domestic exam boards have 20% of practical assessment. However, CIE may not as it is an international board and Edexcel have an international option which does not have the practical but i think it is not available in this country.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest