The Student Room Group

Do I have a Realistic chance at Oxford?

To what extent to gcses have an impact?
(edited 9 years ago)
Talk to your careers advisor. I'm sure that somewhere on the application you can explain why you didnt do as well at GCSE. If you can get A*s and As at A2, I'm sure that will help! Also, a very good personal statement too!
Reply 2
Applying to Oxford will only take up 1/5 of your application spaces. If you are confident in getting into your second/thrid choice and don't really need that 5th slot for another university then there is nothing to lose by trying. I don't know how likely it is you will get in though.
Reply 3
Original post by King Max
Talk to your careers advisor. I'm sure that somewhere on the application you can explain why you didnt do as well at GCSE. If you can get A*s and As at A2, I'm sure that will help! Also, a very good personal statement too!

Thanks for the response. My school doesn't really have an Oxbridge co-ordinator, I will try though!

I've worked hard on my Personal Statement! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by james22
Applying to Oxford will only take up 1/5 of your application spaces. If you are confident in getting into your second/thrid choice and don't really need that 5th slot for another university then there is nothing to lose by trying. I don't know how likely it is you will get in though.

With respect to application spaces, I would also agree, that is a good idea.
Seeing that you have achieved all As in your A-Levels, then it seems feasible that Oxford may accept you, but this is likely chance due to the performance of your GCSE.
If Oxford do decline your application, then I suggest Imperial, Reading or Leicester University.
As said above ^^ make sure that your application is concise, relevant & is exemplary.
Don't worry.
Reply 6
Original post by inachigeek21
Seeing that you have achieved all As in your A-Levels, then it seems feasible that Oxford may accept you, but this is likely chance due to the performance of your GCSE.
If Oxford do decline your application, then I suggest Imperial, Reading or Leicester University.
As said above ^^ make sure that your application is concise, relevant & is exemplary.
Don't worry.

Imperial don't offer humanities.
Original post by ghostly1010
Thanks for the response. My school doesn't really have an Oxbridge co-ordinator, I will try though!

I've worked hard on my Personal Statement! :smile:

You dont need an "Oxbridge coordinator" whatever that means, you just need a careers advisor. THEY WILL KNOW WHAT THEYRE ON ABOUT ITS THEIR JOB.
Reply 8
Original post by ghostly1010
To what extent to gcses have an impact?

GCSEs are but one indicator the tutors use to judge whether or not you'd be a suitable candidate.

Ultimately they are assessing your potential and that is a function of your personal statement, GCSEs, interview, aptitude test (if applicable), A Levels, ability to juggle a large workload, etc.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending