The Student Room Group

So about Oxbridge...

(edited 6 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
You'd be better asking in the Oxford forum.
I've never applied there but I know that A*AA is the lowest they will offer you, and a lot of their applicants are predicted/achieve even higher. You're up against strong competition so perhaps take up something that will make your application stand out. Even if you miss Oxbridge it won't be the be all and end all - those grades will easily see you into the other top uni's in the UK. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Hello, I want to do PPE at Oxford, I'm currently taking Politics, Economics, History and English Lit. If I achieve, say A*AAB in A2, then would it worth taking a gap year and doing AS in Maths and Critical thinking?

I would be doing more A levels but the college I'm at has limit of only taking 4 A levels.

Thanks. Oh, also how much emphasis do Oxbridge put on gcses? Be honest, but don't over exaggerate, I was told that my a levels were hard, but I'm finding them extremely easy.

Doing more A Levels won't help you one bit and will waste a year. If you still want to, go ahead but I don't see the point. Oxford requires only 3 although it's common for applicants to have 4 (at least to AS if not A2).

GCSEs are quite important. There's no means of quantifying it but to put it in relation to your AS grades, your GCSEs will matter more.

Can this please be moved to the Oxford forum, moderators?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LauraB101
I've never applied there but I know that A*AA is the lowest they will offer you, and a lot of their applicants are predicted/achieve even higher. You're up against strong competition so perhaps take up something that will make your application stand out. Even if you miss Oxbridge it won't be the be all and end all - those grades will easily see you into the other top uni's in the UK. Good luck :smile:

Completely untrue. Oxford makes more AAA offers than A*AA offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amol_chalis447
Completely untrue. Oxford makes more AAA offers than A*AA offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Point is, a lot of candidates will be predicted higher than the grades they offer. If you look at their courses it seems the average offer they make is A*AA.
Original post by LauraB101
Point is, a lot of candidates will be predicted higher than the grades they offer. If you look at their courses it seems the average offer they make is A*AA.

Your first sentence is right. However the "average offer they make" is not A*AA. If you'll look at their website(http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/entrance-requirements/level-offers), you'll clearly see that nearly all humanities courses require AAA. It's not common to receive an offer above that.
A*AAB, for an Oxford applicant, is kinda low. Sure, it'd make their offer, but you're going to have a hell of a lot of A2 applicants with 3/4 A*. Worth a try, but you'll probably be wanting something closer to A*A*AA or more.

Don't take more A levels. 4 is fine and critical thinking is a waste of time (typing this with the critical thinking teacher five feet away, better hope she doesn't look over my shoulder...)

Oxford care a lot about GCSEs.

Quick Reply

Latest