The Student Room Group

A level Maths help:Coordinate Geometry help

Question 5i) the points A,B, C have coordinate A(2,1), B(b,3) and (5,5), where b>3 and Angle ABC=90, find b

Can someone help me figure out how to get to the answer I have tried so many times and I never reach the correct answer. It will be greatly appreciated
Take a photo and include it in your thread so its easier for us to help guide and aid you in your work.
bump
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Take a photo and include it in your thread so its easier for us to help guide and aid you in your work.

Oh, There is no diagram or anything
Reply 4
Ok, so you need to use the fact that the product of the gradients of AB and CB is -1 because they are perpendicular (as ABC is 90), that is (5-3)/(5-b)*(1-3)/(2-b)=-1, gradients found doing that y1-y2 over x1-x2 thing. From this you can easily get a quadratic in b (multiply everything by
(2-b)/(-2), which is b2-7b+6=0, factorise to (b-6)(b-1)=0 so b=6 because it's greater than 3
I hope this helps you
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by meriadoc
ok, so you need to use the fact that the product of the gradients of ab and cb is -1 because they are perpendicular (as abc is 90), that is (5-3)/(5-b)*(1-3)/(2-b)=-1, gradients found doing that y1-y2 over x1-x2 thing. From this you can easily get a quadratic in b (multiply everything by
(2-b)/(-2), which is b2-7b+6=0, factorise to (b-6)(b-1)=0 so b=6 because it's greater than 3
i hope this helps you

omg thank you so much. This really helps!:smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ennahaspatience
omg thank you so much. This really helps!:smile:

Alternative method: since ABC is a right angle you can use Pythagoras' Theorem which tells you that

AC2=AB2+BC2AC^2 = AB^2 + BC^2

This gives you the same quadratic equation in b as given by the poster above using the gradient method.

Quick Reply

Latest