The Student Room Group

How motivated are you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Quite a lot. Lifelong dedications tend to equal success.
Everything I do is with my future goals in mind. Every decision I make, every practical thing I do. I live and breathe with my future in mind and I've got ambition by the bucket load. Although I don't think that saying justifies it if I'm completely honest.

In short though, I'm as motivated as I could possible be. Every day is a learning curve and I'm absolutely loving it at the moment, and my future hasn't even begun yet.

With than in mind, I'd have to say 24/7 in terms of hours. I won't stop until I get where I want to be.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by ryan9900
Everything I do is with my future goals in mind. Every decision I make, every practical thing I do. II live and breathe with my future in mind and I've got ambition by the bucket load. Although I don't think that saying justifies it if I'm completely honest.

In short though, I'm as motivated as I could possible be. Every day is a learning curve and I'm absolutely loving it at the moment, and my future hasn't even begun yet.

With than in mind, I'd have to say 24/7 in terms of hours. I won't stop until I get where I want to be.

Cool! What are your long-term plans career-wise and what stage are you at right now?
Original post by ZetaMu
Nice! I'm hoping to break into banking/consulting this year as well. Today was a day off to recharge as I'm absolutely out of steam after my summer internship in consulting. I need some motivation to get back in the swing of things by tomorrow morning.

Motivated enough to get the highest grade in my year. I spend around 15-18 hours a day working. I've worked all of summer and have saved up quite a lot. I'm also a programmer, as I'm really into web development.
Original post by ZetaMu
Cool! What are your long-term plans career-wise and what stage are you at right now?

I have told people before but it usually goes over most peoples heads and I get branded a dreamer, which is fair enough.

I'm right at the start of my journey aged 19, but I've got solid progressive plans which reach out about 15-20 years into the future.
Reply 25
Original post by Aspiring Genius
Motivated enough to get the highest grade in my year. I spend around 15-18 hours a day working. I've worked all of summer and have saved up quite a lot. I'm also a programmer, as I'm really into web development.

Highest grade in your year -- is that school or university? What are you studying and at what level? :smile:
Everything I do is with my future goals in mind. Every decision I make, every practical thing I do. I live and breathe with my future in mind and I've got ambition by the bucket load. Although I don't think that saying justifies it if I'm completely honest.

Me and you have a lot in common. I can't stop I wont stop, people tell me I work too hard, but they don't realize the amount of work that goes into becoming successful.
Reply 27
I have told people before but it usually goes over most peoples heads and I get branded a dreamer, which is fair enough.

I'm right at the start of my journey aged 19, but I've got solid progressive plans which reach out about 15-20 years into the future.

You can tell me. :wink: I'm very ambitious myself.
Me and you have a lot in common. I can't stop I wont stop, people tell me I work too hard, but they don't realize the amount of work that goes into becoming successful.

Good on you. The ones who tell you that you're working too hard aren't working hard enough themselves.

Keep going, you'll get there.
Original post by ZetaMu
Highest grade in your year -- is that school or university? What are you studying and at what level? :smile:

I did the international baccalaureate. I'm going to uni this year, I also plan on getting the highest grades in my year when I start at uni. My obsession to be first has turned into a problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ZetaMu
Ah right! Where do you work and do you enjoy it?

As an actuary consultant. And yes, it's pretty cool. A lot of learning and interesting topics.
Reply 31
I did the international baccalaureate. I'm going to uni this year, I also plan on getting the highest grades in my year at uni, I started revising for uni last month. My obsession to be first has turned into a problem.

I scored the highest grade in the year back at high school too. Be prepared to meet some serious competition at university though -- the average IQ shoots up there.
Maybe 30 - 40 minutes per day if we are including showering, shaving and averaging out laundry.
Original post by ZetaMu
I scored the highest grade in the year back at high school too. Be prepared to meet some serious competition at university though -- the average IQ shoots up there.

What are you studying if you don't mind me asking ? I see you're also very motivated yourself then.
Original post by ZetaMu
the average IQ shoots up there.

lol
Reply 35
Original post by ByronicHero
lol

Haha. Well, it's true. :wink:
Original post by ZetaMu
Agree with you both. I'm incentivized by the promise of a luxury lifestyle, money, looking good. May seem "shallow" to some people on here but I think most people are secretly targeting the same goals amongst their other objectives. Hopefully my big break is on its way now.

Everybody's aims and personal objectives are for personal gain, so the concept of "shallow" is very very subjective.

Now somebody may come up and tell me "You're wrong, my objectives are to..." [help others/charitable gain] etc etc

My response to that is this: a charitable objective in life is because it ultimately gives happiness to you, in helping others, which ultimately makes it a personal gain - by giving back to community, you feel good. Now, I don't mean to knock that at all - I think it's a fantastic thing - but my theory remains the same - every time, without fail, the person gaining at the end of the line is you.

Some people may jump to a conclusion with that, saying that it means one is selfish and the only reason that they give away money is to help themselves.

I, on the other hand, say the opposite. I say that everybody does what they do in order to fulfil their own personal dreams, and when that ambition is to help others, the ultimate goal is personal fulfilment - in that the act of helping others, ultimately makes them themselves feel good.
Reply 37
What are you studying if you don't mind me asking ? I see you're also very motivated yourself then.

I am, yes. I average 10-12 hours of work per day (minus this weekend, which was an opportunity to recharge after a gruelling internship) -- less hours than some other people for sure, but I think I get more out of those hours by working more efficiently.

I'm a Masters student in Neuroscience.
Does this include work or not?

If so, probably around 10 or 11 hours a day.
Original post by ZetaMu
I am, yes. I average 10-12 hours of work per day (minus this weekend, which was an opportunity to recharge after a gruelling internship) -- less hours than some other people for sure, but I think I get more out of those hours by working more efficiently.

I'm a Masters student in Neuroscience.

Yeah that's true, some people do work extremely efficiently, however, some find that the more hours they put into their work the better the outcome. But it's no use working all day if it's not efficient. What do you hope to do after your degree ?

Quick Reply

Latest