The Student Room Group

How motivated are you?

Out of curiosity, how many hours do you typically spend being productive/working in some way towards your future? Don't just include your study hours -- include things like laundering or showering. Basically the # number of hours per day you spend doing something constructive.

Just interested to know how much people manage to get through in a day minus the time wasted procrastinating, etc.

And finally, what motivates you? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm totally unmotivated :tongue: I'll only ever do anything 'productive' at the last minute :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Vionar
I'm totally unmotivated :tongue: I'll only ever do anything 'productive' at the last minute :frown:

I think everyone is like that at times! But it's a vicious cycle and difficult to break out of.
i think im motivated to an extent once ive rested up from 6th form hw and revision during my free periods...

what motivates me:
Not getting the typically African talk/punishments/insults/chores at home from my mum and not getting a "knock" from my dad :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ZetaMu
I think everyone is like that at times! But it's a vicious cycle and difficult to break out of.

For me 'at times' is my whole life :mmm:
Reply 5
showering? surely that is just something you routinely do every day lol

but for motivating, to look good and to earn $$$
Don't really know how many hours but definitely not a lot, spend my time playing games and watching stuff lol XD.
Original post by Vionar

I'm the same. It's not that I'm lazy, I just can't concentrate on things for a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Edminzodo
I'm the same. It's not that I'm lazy, I just can't concentrate on things for a long time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I could easily concentrate on something for a long time, I'm just lazy
My weekly breakdown:
-30 hours (including work done in free periods) of school
-15 hours homework/revision
-16 hours of work at the Three store
-14 hours juggling my startup in Cambridge, MA (I live in Scotland founded it at an MIT startup program) and a webdev company
- 3 hours of team sport (basketball and lacrosse)
-2 hours of unicycling

Brings it to about 80 hours? Then again, I am crazy concerned about my future - banking/consulting to a successful startup is the plan!
Showering? haha.

Depends. Sometimes about 1 per day. Sometimes about 20. Depends how nice/nightmarish my life is at the time. Currently about 1 :P
(edited 9 years ago)
I have 30 hour days and 15 hour sleeps. I'm always working non stop, no matter what - I have lots of different projects going at once so when I get frustrated or tired from one, I just move on to the other. I generally eat while I'm working, I facebook/TSR/other socially forummy things while something is exporting or converting or uploading, and I shower when I wake up and when I go to bed, takes about 5 minutes each time so not really making an impact on the whole schedule. So I guess, by having a 45 hour "routine", 30 hours of which are working, I have a 60% work time in my life. Sounds like a lot, but I'm planning on retiring at 40, and I know that then, I'll be thanking myself.

I work in a tough industry, but when I've earnt enough money to buy something fancy, I find myself using that as motivation for the next thing.

I always have my desktop wallpapers set to the things I want next, be it house, car, boat, plane.

So far, I have the house, I have the boat (but need to sell my part since the house is the other side of the world :P), and I'm studying for my type rating for the plane, even though it'll probably be a good few years before i can afford to buy one for myself.

I have a business card with my name, title and company name with "You already know who we are" on the back instead of contact details, written in gold. I have it mounted in a picture frame on my wall. While this seems ridiculous, the point of this is that every day, it's the first thing I see when I wake up and the last thing I see when I go to bed, and it keeps me running my businesses at full steam ahead working towards that day when I can finally take that business card out of the frame and into my wallet.

I think the biggest point being that it's important to have a constant reminder of your goals, ambitions and life achievements, because it's easy to lose track of your aims in life when you have nothing to remind you of what you're working towards.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not at all :rofl:

No seriously someone help me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Several hours a day usually. Even when I'm at work, I think about my goals and how I can better achieve them.
9-10 hours.
Reply 15
Original post by XMaramena
I have 30 hour days and 15 hour sleeps. I'm always working non stop, no matter what - I have lots of different projects going at once so when I get frustrated or tired from one, I just move on to the other. I generally eat while I'm working, I facebook/TSR/other socially forummy things while something is exporting or converting or uploading, and I shower when I wake up and when I go to bed, takes about 5 minutes each time so not really making an impact on the whole schedule. So I guess, by having a 45 hour "routine", 30 hours of which are working, I have a 60% work time in my life. Sounds like a lot, but I'm planning on retiring at 40, and I know that then, I'll be thanking myself.

I work in a tough industry, but when I've earnt enough money to buy something fancy, I find myself using that as motivation for the next thing.

I always have my desktop wallpapers set to the things I want next, be it house, car, boat, plane.

So far, I have the house, I have the boat (but need to sell my part since the house is the other side of the world :P), and I'm studying for my type rating for the plane, even though it'll probably be a good few years before i can afford to buy one for myself.

I have a business card with my name, title and company name with "You already know who we are" on the back instead of contact details, written in gold. I have it mounted in a picture frame on my wall. While this seems ridiculous, the point of this is that every day, it's the first thing I see when I wake up and the last thing I see when I go to bed, and it keeps me running my businesses at full steam ahead working towards that day when I can finally take that business card out of the frame and into my wallet.

I think the biggest point being that it's important to have a constant reminder of your goals, ambitions and life achievements, because it's easy to lose track of your aims in life when you have nothing to remind you of what you're working towards.

Original post by iamu
showering? surely that is just something you routinely do every day lol

but for motivating, to look good and to earn $$$

Agree with you both. I'm incentivized by the promise of a luxury lifestyle, money, looking good. May seem "shallow" to some people on here but I think most people are secretly targeting the same goals amongst their other objectives. Hopefully my big break is on its way now.
Reply 16
Original post by SarcasticMel
9-10 hours.

Nice!
Original post by ZetaMu
Nice!

It's my working day lol :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Princepieman
My weekly breakdown:
-30 hours (including work done in free periods) of school
-15 hours homework/revision
-16 hours of work at the Three store
-14 hours juggling my startup in Cambridge, MA (I live in Scotland founded it at an MIT startup program) and a webdev company
- 3 hours of team sport (basketball and lacrosse)
-2 hours of unicycling

Brings it to about 80 hours? Then again, I am crazy concerned about my future - banking/consulting to a successful startup is the plan!

Nice! I'm hoping to break into banking/consulting this year as well. Today was a day off to recharge as I'm absolutely out of steam after my summer internship in consulting. I need some motivation to get back in the swing of things by tomorrow morning.
Reply 19
Original post by SarcasticMel
It's my working day lol :smile:

Ah right! Where do you work and do you enjoy it?

Quick Reply

Latest