The Student Room Group

English why don't you ask for an independence referendum?

The Scottish referendum was decided by economic reasons only, people have voted No because they think they receive money from London. This means England would be better off without Scotland and Wales. So why don't you ask for a referendum? The Scots would.
Reply 1
Sense of fair play? Bit harsh on the Welsh :tongue:
OP, I'm pretty sure those are not the reasons the Scots voted to stay. In fact, attempts by the NO campaign to imply that offended many Scots and drew them to vote YES.

To answer your question: England has no interest in independence.
Reply 3
Original post by gladders
OP, I'm pretty sure those are not the reasons the Scots voted to stay. In fact, attempts by the NO campaign to imply that offended many Scots and drew them to vote YES.

To answer your question: England has no interest in independence.

They are, ask them and they'll answer it was for economic reasons. The English would then be better off with independence.

A MORI opinion poll commissioned jointly by the Campaign for an English Parliament under the English Constitutional Convention banner indicated that support for the creation of an English Parliament with the same powers as the existing Scottish Parliament had risen, with 41% of those questioned favouring such a move. In the same month an ICM Omnibus poll commissioned by the Progressive Partnership (a Scottish research organisation) showed that support for full English independence had reached 31% of those questioned. In November 2006, another ICM poll commissioned by the Sunday Telegraph, showed that support for an English Parliament had reached 68% and support for full English independence had reached 48% of those questioned.
Reply 4
Because I ****ing hate where I live.
Reply 5
I don't know what the big deal is.

They've had their little vote up there. Very nice.

Now let's have a vote down here to see what's really going to happen - and then when we've decided, we'll tell them.
Reply 6
Independence from what?

What I'd like is for the UK to be independent from London. Wave goodbye to the Commons, the Lords and that big smelly city. Build a wall round the M25 so you need a passport to leave it to join the enter the UK proper.
Reply 7
Original post by StarsD
The Scottish referendum was decided by economic reasons only, people have voted No because they think they receive money from London. This means England would be better off without Scotland and Wales. So why don't you ask for a referendum? The Scots would.

Because Scotland pays its way, any gains from Scotland leaving would be small.

Because Wales and NI would collapse without us.

Because England actually values its place in the world. No country ever became more powerful after chopping bits of itself off.
Original post by StarsD

Very flawed logic.
The reasons were economic but it is not as simple as because "London gives them money." The main reasons they voted no are to do with trade. They would not have a currency, they would not be in the EU (which would affect trade) and England would be less likely to buy from them.
The money they receive from London is in terms of having a close relationship to the financial capital of the world. High speed train links and such means that the Scottish economy is boosted by the proximity to London. They benefit from international trade as a result of being part of both the UK and the EU.
It is a mutually beneficial relationship where if either leave, they both lose.
Reply 9
Original post by Simes
Independence from what?

What I'd like is for the UK to be independent from London. Wave goodbye to the Commons, the Lords and that big smelly city. Build a wall round the M25 so you need a passport to leave it to join the enter the UK proper.

The gap between London and the rest of the country is increasingly worrying.
Original post by StarsD

The Scottish referendum was not decided by economic reasons only. Scotland has the oil and Edinburgh is one of the largest financial centres in Europe. The reasons are a lot more complicated than that.

In answer to your question, cynicism. I think, most English would not support independence because we don't trust politicians further than we can throw them.
At the moment, England is only represented by the UK government, which really only represents London or at the most the South-East. This is why Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have devolved powers. England can't go independent without first establishing an English parliament, which would just be adding another layer of bureaucracy. Then knowing politicians once we had done this they'll find some excuse not to allow or not to hold a referendum.
Or if we did go independent, what then? It would just over-complicate everything.
As well as this, why would we tear apart a union that has only benefited us?
We like Scotland and Wales and we like being in the union.
Reply 11
One of the most obvious benefactors from English independence would be Farage.
I don't really see the point, even as someone who *used* to be a pretty extreme English nationalist. I don't think there's much to be gained financially or culturally. Plus I doubt that Wales and NI would survive economically without being part of a larger union. Heck, even England sans London would probably struggle.
I am getting a bit frustrated that Westminster is fannying about whether or not we should get an English parliament. To me there are two solutions: form an English parliament or ban MPs representing non-English constituencies from debating and voting on matters that only affect England.
No-one's asked us.
Original post by Clip
I don't know what the big deal is.

They've had their little vote up there. Very nice.

Now let's have a vote down here to see what's really going to happen - and then when we've decided, we'll tell them.

But will the lefties from Scottish Labour and the SNP be involved in our "vote down here to see what's really going to happen" as well...?
Original post by StarsD

Do you think that the 45% should start taking militant action to separate themselves from the rest of the UK? Similar to the IRA?
Why don't we ask? Are you trying to imply that people haven't, because they are. Although, more for devloved power to England rather than independence, and if it were independence I would think it to be less independence from the Uk, but from a part of the Uk, ie "should we kick this part out?"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending