The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOAS applicants 2015 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MiqBib95
Spanish applicant here! I'm applying for both BA Japanese and Japanese and Chinese Studies

Yay!

That makes 1/2 of us the same!

Chinese Studies here :smile:

What are your predicted grades?
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 41
Original post by Guills on wheels
Yay!

That makes 1/2 of us the same!

Chinese Studies here :smile:

What are your predicted grades?

I already have all my final qualification results, actually. I couldn't submit them by January the 15th last year so I'm applying now.

I got an average of 9.3/10 in Spanish high school which stands for AAA :smile:
Original post by MiqBib95
I already have all my final qualification results, actually. I couldn't submit them by January the 15th last year so I'm applying now.

I got an average of 9.3/10 in Spanish high school which stands for AAA :smile:

oh wow!

I'm in year 13, so I haven't finished yet, but I'm predicted A*AB, in History of Art, Chinese and Maths, respectively.

Good luck!
oh wow!

I'm in year 13, so I haven't finished yet, but I'm predicted A*AB, in History of Art, Chinese and Maths, respectively.

Good luck!

I finally found someone else with the same predicted grades as me. Let's be friends with a nice range of predictions xD
Original post by Darthmixalot
I finally found someone else with the same predicted grades as me. Let's be friends with a nice range of predictions xD

Yay!

The sort of people who think… to UCL, or to not UCL?

These predictions make you think…!
Yay!

The sort of people who think… to UCL, or to not UCL?

These predictions make you think…!

I erred on the side of not UCL(ing?). I instead applied to somewhere that seemed alright so as to stop my tutor having a heart attack over me not applying to a proper fallback :P
I erred on the side of not UCL(ing?). I instead applied to somewhere that seemed alright so as to stop my tutor having a heart attack over me not applying to a proper fallback :P

UCL seemed like the right option until I realised they don't actually do Chinese Studies...

So no for me too.

My unis are:

SOAS
Nottingham
Leeds
Sheffield
Durham

in that order of pref :smile:
UCL seemed like the right option until I realised they don't actually do Chinese Studies...

So no for me too.

My unis are:

SOAS
Nottingham
Leeds
Sheffield
Durham

in that order of pref :smile:

Mine are, in no particular order:

SOAS
Oxford
Hull
KCL
Newcastle

all of them for straight no nonsense History xD
Mine are, in no particular order:

SOAS
Oxford
Hull
KCL
Newcastle

all of them for straight no nonsense History xD

I'm intrigued… why SOAS?
I'm intrigued… why SOAS?

What can I say. I've always loved asian history. It's just so big and fun, I can't see why a lot of people seem to think china only comes in to existence some time around the opium wars.
What can I say. I've always loved asian history. It's just so big and fun, I can't see why a lot of people seem to think china only comes in to existence some time around the opium wars.

Chinese history is basically my life and love. (other than my girlfriend, in case she sees this)...

Apart from the language, of course, too.
Reply 51
I have also applied for Japanese at Sheffield and have already received an uncondicional offer. YAY!
Chinese history is basically my life and love. (other than my girlfriend, in case she sees this)...

Apart from the language, of course, too.

I'm mainly interested in two fairly distinct eras. The french revolution and Segoku jidai japan. It makes for a strange collection of books and strange looks from those I tell.
I was thinking of trying my hand at japanese at some point during the course if I do get accepted.
Reply 53
has anyone got an offer for History yet?
Any UG offers at all yet?
Original post by Катя
Any UG offers at all yet?

nope.
When are they going to start sending out offers? Cryyy.
Reply 57
Original post by zainabsadiq

According to some people, in late November, December or even January
Reply 58
Original post by zainabsadiq

I emailed them a few weeks ago and they said that once they start processing (aknowledgement emails) it'll take 3-6 weeks, but I applied last year and I didn't hear back until January, SOAS and KCL tend to be really slow getting back which is so annoying -____-
Hey all :smile:

I'm a mature student (well, I'm only 24 but still). I've applied for Social Anthropology at SOAS and got my acknowledgement email last week. My first choice is HSPS at Cambridge, but SOAS is a close second :biggrin:

I've also applied for Anthropology at UCL, Goldsmiths, and University of East London as 'back ups'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending