The Student Room Group

Does a brain disorder qualify for extenuating circumstances?

I have misophonia (diagnosed myself, no doctor involved).

In every exam there is some stupid ****** who coughs or clicks their pen or moves too much in their chair or something like that. Those things drive me absolutely CRAZY! I lose my concentration, I get so angry that I just visualise ripping their hearts out of their chests.

Would I qualify for extenuating circumstances if I now went to a doctor and officially got diagnosed for it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unfortunately many people have not heard of this condition - it's not classified as a disorder in DSM-V and it's largely misunderstood. It can be absolutely debilitating though - I think it's worth trying to get a diagnosis. If your GP is able to provide recommendations for you, I believe your university is kind of duty-bound to respect them.
Reply 2
Original post by Reord
Unfortunately many people have not heard of this condition - it's not classified as a disorder in DSM-V and it's largely misunderstood. It can be absolutely debilitating though - I think it's worth trying to get a diagnosis. If your GP is able to provide recommendations for you, I believe your university is kind of duty-bound to respect them.

I'm in my gap year but I'm going to retake some A Level exams so I just wanted to know because of that.

But yeah, it's so annoying having this because nobody understands what it's like. They think I'm overreacting.
go to a doctor..

If they dont understand, go to a differernt doctor.

repeat a few times, until you either:

1 - you realise your fine
2 - you get a diagnosis and problem is solved

seems simple
I'm sure if your GP said you had a condition then you'd qualify for something however my immediate thought is that they could probably change your exam conditions to accomodate you rather than giving you extra marks or anything (e.g. you could sit in a separate room, wear ear plugs, the invigilator be told to stay quiet, a rest break if you get too wound up)
Same issue since I was about ten, but our exam officer was bloody terrifying so I just kinda block my ears with one hand and my shoulder and get on with it XD hurts your back, I gotta admit, but it's better than becoming a mass murderer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by HeritageofEurope
what a load of *******s !!

Not to exam boards
I have a similar problem I've got *SLS (self diagnosed) , its really hard for me to think during an exam because of it. Its even affected my revision to the point where I can't even sleep. I completely empathize with the OP. I mentioned this in PS and Universities were really understanding (I'm now off to Uni !!!)
Dw you will get through this.

*severe laziness syndrome

Seriously though wtf, when will people accept their failures, instead of shifting the blame.
Moved to Disabled Students.

I can't see you getting exenuating circumstances for previous exams. You may get them for future exams if it can be proven that your condition (I have something similar) does affect your ability to do exams.

A diagnosis itself would not qualify. It depends how, if, it affects your ability to do exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Sorry for the bullying posts of other people.

It might be a good idea to ask for a separate exam room but usually it's a case of adjustments (separate room, ear plugs, break) rather than extenuating circumstances for conditions like this.
poor me poor me ... I am to stupid to sit through an exam !!

Your brain condition is called idiocy !!

At the risk of getting into an infuriating debate, if you're going to mock someone's intelligence at least get your spelling and grammar right. Pipe down and butt out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
poor me poor me ... I am to stupid to sit through an exam !!

Your brain condition is called idiocy !!

Got ABB with my brain condition.

Now all I need is a doctor's note so I can get my special arrangements and be able to get at the bare minimum AAB, but preferably AAA.

Yes, yes those grades look terrible.

Original post by Xenorebrem
I have a similar problem I've got *SLS (self diagnosed) , its really hard for me to think during an exam because of it. Its even affected my revision to the point where I can't even sleep. I completely empathize with the OP. I mentioned this in PS and Universities were really understanding (I'm now off to Uni !!!)
Dw you will get through this.

*severe laziness syndrome

Seriously though wtf, when will people accept their failures, instead of shifting the blame.

I didn't fail anything. I got decent grades and I could have gone to uni this year if I wanted to but I chose not to because I was confused about what course I want to do.

I'm resitting because my Misophonia affected a few of my exam results and so I will be redoing those exams. I don't have to but I choose to.

Original post by OU Student
Moved to Disabled Students.

I can't see you getting exenuating circumstances for previous exams. You may get them for future exams if it can be proven that your condition (I have something similar) does affect your ability to do exams.

A diagnosis itself would not qualify. It depends how, if, it affects your ability to do exams.

Yeah I spoke to someone who represents Edexcel and they said the same thing.

My teacher also said a diagnosis can be mentioned in the reference so the university takes that into consideration.
Reply 12
I also agree that the lack of sympathy to your condition highlights the lack of understanding about it. I'll confess I don't have much knowledge on it either.

That being said, 'self-diagnosis' is not going to cut it with extenuating circumstances. If you're in uni, you need to apply for DSA (Disabled Students Allowance). If A Levels, you at the very least need a diagnosis by a professional i.e. GP. A good GP will take the time out to understand a neurological condition even if they know little about it themselves.

I'm also afraid to say that I don't think you can retrospectively add extenuating circumstances after you have your results. If you knew this was going to affect you, or even that it might, you should have

a) let your school/college and the exam board know weeks, if not months ahead of time (like at the start of AS or A2 to be honest) that this might be a problem

b) at the very least apply within days of sitting the exam. Ideally, that evening/the day after, straight to your Examination Officer's room to explain what happened.

Otherwise it may look to them (the external board) like you got your results, weren't happy with them and just fancied getting a few marks up using a 'condition' you have magically conjured up out of nowhere as excuse.

I'm sorry to tell you that, I certainly don't mean to offend as you might not have known this/been told this-but that is how I understand the examination rules.

My a dive would be to

a) Tell your exam officer about your misophonia and how it affects you
b) Definitely get a diagnosis!!!
c) Request a re-sit, and hopefully you can have uni entry in 2015? :smile:

edit: read you have called them and are getting a doc's note :smile:

Good luck :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Katy100
Sorry for the bullying posts of other people.

It might be a good idea to ask for a separate exam room but usually it's a case of adjustments (separate room, ear plugs, break) rather than extenuating circumstances for conditions like this.

Thank you and I kind of expected it to be honest because in real life people who don't know me well kind of don't believe me either.

Yeah, I'm resitting exams so I hope this time I'm allowed to be separated from everyone.

Original post by EvilAligator
At the risk of getting into an infuriating debate, if you're going to mock someone's intelligence at least get your spelling and grammar right. Pipe down and butt out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha
Reply 14
Original post by Riku
I also agree that the lack of sympathy to your condition highlights the lack of understanding about it. I'll confess I don't have much knowledge on it either.

That being said, 'self-diagnosis' is not going to cut it with extenuating circumstances. If you're in uni, you need to apply for DSA (Disabled Students Allowance). If A Levels, you at the very least need a diagnosis by a professional i.e. GP. A good GP will take the time out to understand a neurological condition even if they know little about it themselves.

Yeah, I'm going to go to my GP. I would have gone sooner but I'm just really scared that they will just stare at me blankly.
I've Googled this condition and, apparently since diagnosis of Misophonia was only established in 2001, many doctors haven't heard of it.
Reply 15
Original post by Da Di Doo
Yeah, I'm going to go to my GP. I would have gone sooner but I'm just really scared that they will just stare at me blankly.
I've Googled this condition and, apparently since diagnosis of Misophonia was only established in 2001, many doctors haven't heard of it.

sorry to hear that :frown: my advice would be to bring the notes from Google in to show your GP, and any medical documentation you have at home. If they still won't give you a note, go to another GP. Go private if you have to, anything you can to get a note. It's really important esp. for Uni exams and future DSA.
Did you inform your teachers BEFORE the exam or did you "diagnose" yourself after seeing your results?
Reply 17
Original post by Riku
sorry to hear that :frown: my advice would be to bring the notes from Google in to show your GP, and any medical documentation you have at home. If they still won't give you a note, go to another GP. Go private if you have to, anything you can to get a note. It's really important esp. for Uni exams and future DSA.

Yeah I'm going to do just that, thank you!!

Original post by Darkwarrior23
Did you inform your teachers BEFORE the exam or did you "diagnose" yourself after seeing your results?

I've known about this for years because it affected my GCSEs as well. And even before GCSEs when I'm not in an exam setting.

I didn't tell any of my teachers because this isn't a widely known disorder. Look at the responses I am getting. I got responses like these in real life too and I really didn't want or need it coming from a teacher.
I find it odd that you're only just about tell your GP. 2 years go, I started having really sensitive hearing. I left it for a few weeks thinking it would go down. It didn't. I saw my GP who said it was blocked ear and was given some ear drops and got told to see the nurse in a few weeks.

I did that and was pre wanred that my hearing would get worse, which it did. (I was having to walk around my parents house wearing ear plugs...)

This didn't settle down much and my hearing was still very sensitive. I went to my GP and was seen by Audiology and ENT. I was given a hearing test and was told that I have Hyperacusis.

It really does sound as though you're using this as an excuse to get higher marks.

It doesn't matter that it's not widely known. I've got 4 rare diseases and all have been diagnosed.
Original post by Da Di Doo
I have misophonia (diagnosed myself, no doctor involved).

In every exam there is some stupid ****** who coughs or clicks their pen or moves too much in their chair or something like that. Those things drive me absolutely CRAZY! I lose my concentration, I get so angry that I just visualise ripping their hearts out of their chests.

Would I qualify for extenuating circumstances if I now went to a doctor and officially got diagnosed for it?

It would be best to get it officially diagnosed (otherwise you could just be making it up. I know you aren't but you have to look at it from the point of view of a university/exam board). Once it has been officially diagnosed I would definitely try to get help during the exam, either do the exam in a separate room or use some sort of ear plugs. Exam boards are really not generous with the extra percentage they give for various things (I believe it is 5% for the death of a family member...which considering how much it would affect someone, it really isn't that much). It would be far better for you to be in a silent room on your own and be able to concentrate and get a good amount of extra marks than do the exam normally and ask for 2 or 3 more marks due to struggling in the exam due to the conditions.

Also, sorry about some of the people on here. This is a condition not really heard about and misunderstood so to some people it would come across as you're just trying to get extra marks but I understand it must be horrible and to cope with it is very hard. Good luck in the future :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest