The Student Room Group

Would you apply to your local university?

I live in Greater Manchester so Manchester uni would be my local uni and I for sure wouldn't apply!!! Way too close to home, plus Manchester is a bit too urban for me although it has good night life.

What's your's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My local university is Nottingham, although I live close to 2 others which are DMU Leicester and Derby uni.
Reply 2
Well my local one is Durham, but no I wouldn't because they don't do joint Maths and Physics.
Reply 3
Original post by Jatyization
My Local city is Birmingham, I don't live too close to Birmingham though (thankfully!) and i would be sure to apply there however my academic profile does not suit the university of Birmingham hence applying elsewhere instead... You have to choose wisely!

My local uni is UCLan, but I wanted to get out of Preston and go somewhere else but not too far so I chose Lancaster!!
I live in London and applied for Cass (City University London).. although I moved into halls. Not much of a problem, can easily pop home whenever I want. In fact I'm at home now.
Reply 5
My local uni's are Warwick and Coventry. However, I'm looking to study at a London based university, so these aren't in my potential uni's anyway. Even if they were, I'd love to go away from home for university to get the full halls experience etc
My local universities are Warwick and Coventry (I live in Warwick); Coventry I wouldn't apply to because I'm predicted better grades than it (no offence or snobbery there, it's a good uni, but I want to get to the best one I'm capable of); Warwick is actually fantastic for my course, but I'm not going to apply there merely because there are other AAA unis I like better (Exeter, KCL, York which I just visited today)
Reply 7
Mine was Birmingham, and I probably would have stood a decent chance of getting in, but decided against it because it was not close enough to still live at home (~30 miles, at least an hour's drive and longer on public transport) - not that I think anyone should ever live at home for uni unless there are compelling medical reasons - but still close enough to be at high risk of parental interference/me caving and going home if things got tough. I'd also had a fairly miserable time at school and wanted to really move away and start a completely new life for myself - which I did.

Cambridge was far enough (2.5-3 hours by car, close to 4 by train) for there to be a good separation from home but close enough that it wasn't a total pain in the arse to get back.

Forgot to say - the actual closest university to my parents' is Wolverhampton, but they don't do medicine so it was never an option.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Lancaster seems like a good choice since I'm applying there too! :biggrin:

What are your stats like? :smile:

Stats?
Would have applied if I wanted to do medicine (Bristol).
I live in London so have loads of local unis. UCL is a good university which I would consider (if it did the course I want to do). I don't really want to stay here though, so even though I would apply, unis here wouldn't be my first choice.
Its actually really advantageous to have that option of commuting from home for some. You get all the home comforts and can just concentrate on your course and have structure and routine and
Noo way.

Also my local is probably Hertfordshire and LOL. Enough said.
Also living in Manchester; in fact I pass the University everyday on my way to college.
I am not bother about living home or away, preferably at home.
Everything is much easier and I dont fancy the idea being independent and doing everything by yourself...

Manchester Uni is pretty a good uni, been inside the uni and the library; very nice.
I am just worried if I were to live somewhere else for Uni, I might end up hating the new environment.

I went to bradford open day and the environment...not good...
Pretty dead there...the town was um just nope. Sorry if I offend anyone!
Greenwich uni is probably my closest

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1411249191.938835.jpg
Reply 15
I live equally far from Newcastle, Northumbria, Sunderland and Durham. I want to get away from Sunderland, it's been great growing up here but living in the city centre for three years would be a bit too much haha. I think I know Newcastle too well to go to uni there. I was reluctant to apply to Durham because it was close but the geography course and the uni in general are amazing, so I'm applying there.
My local university is Manchester.

Not prestigious enough, so no. Cambridge it was.

Technically my local "university" is Salford but I personally don't consider ex-poly techs to be universities.
Reply 17
A-levels? GCSE's? Work experience? Im just interested...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, I got AAB in A levels, can't remember GSCEs. I just realized that this is in the Medicine section :colondollar: and I don't do Medicine sorry :tongue:. But if you have any questions about Lancaster feel free to ask!!
my local one is UEL, Queen Mary, UCL, Imperial, London South Bank, Kingston... I would apply to all of them but hardly any do my course.
Original post by Suemarie
My local university is Nottingham, although I live close to 2 others which are DMU Leicester and Derby uni.

4 surely ? you mentioned DeMented and Derby what about the proper uni in Leicester and Loughborough uni ?

of which Nottingham and Leicester are the ones with Medical Schools ( but the Notts GEM students are based at derby )
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest