The Student Room Group

Imperial Graduate Medicine A109 2015 Entry :)

Any one else planning to apply to Imperial? :smile: I really love this university and I really really want to study here :colondollar:

I've posted some information from the official website below that you might find helpful.

Information (bits and pieces taken from the official website)

Official course website: http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/graduateentry
Official BMAT website: http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/bmat/about-bmat/

The College has decided to cease offering the 4 year Graduate Entry programme and has replaced this with a 5-year Graduate Medicine programme. Candidates will be exempted from Year 4 (Science Year) of our 6 year Medicine programme.

Our admissions criteria has also been updated. We are intending to provide graduate candidates with a high quality experience tailored to their individual skills.

The minimum entry requirement for this course is a 2.1 Honours degree. The degree must be in a biological subject such that you will have significant knowledge of the basic physiology and biochemistry of mammalian cells and organs. Examples of such degrees are:

All candidates applying to the five-year course must take the BioMedical Admissions Test (BMAT) in the year of application in order to be considered for an interview.

Invitations to an interview will be based on:

the content of your UCAS application

your performance in all three sections of the BMAT

BMAT cut-off scores are calculated each year as a result of ranked candidate BMAT scores versus number of expected interview sessions. As a result, the absolute BMAT cut-off changes each year. For 2014 entry, the minimum scores required for the 6-year MBBS/BSc course were:

a score of 4.5 in section 1
a score of 4.6 in section 2
a score of 2.5 and grade B in section 3

Competition for places on the graduate course is expected to be fierce; we will interview around 60 candidates, with 30 students admitted in October 2015.

We use a range of criteria to assess candidates. Candidates must meet the minimum academic requirements outlined in the section on entrance requirements and BMAT. Candidates are expected to be available for competitive interviews in January 2015 without which no offer will be made.

The School of Medicine has a comprehensive admissions policy which ensures that all applications are dealt with in the same way. When applications are received, they are assessed to make sure that candidates fulfil the minimum requirements. Candidates must:

Have obtained or be predicted to obtain a degree of adequate class, in an acceptable biological subject, to satisfy the School of Medicine’s academic criteria

Have sat the BMAT examination in the academic year prior to the year of admission

Submit their application on time

Candidates who do not fulfil the above requirements will be rejected immediately.

If a candidate fulfils the minimum entry requirements his or her application form will be passed to an experienced member of the selection panel. The selection panel is made up of members of staff who are involved in medical education. After that staff member has reached a decision about whether to interview the candidate or not, that decision will be ratified by one of the admissions tutors. The panel members look at the following criteria when assessing applications:

Grade(s) and content of previous degree(s)

BMAT scores

Motivation and understanding of medicine as a career

Community activities

Leadership and teamwork interests

Referee’s report

Interviews
If you have been assessed as suitable you will be required to attend an interview. These will generally take place in January 2015. Normally interview panels consist of a chairperson, two other members of the selection panel, a senior medical student and frequently a lay observer. The interview is not intended to be an intimidating experience and staff will try to put candidates at ease while evaluating the following:

Motivation and realistic approach to medicine and medical research as a career

Capacity to deal with stress

Evidence of working as both a leader and a team member

Ability to multi-task

Likely contribution to university life

Communication skills, and maturity of character

Candidates should normally receive a written response from the School of Medicine by early February 2015.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Currently thinking about applying to Imperial A109 but the thought of sitting the BMAT is very off-putting. I'm fairly sure that they'll have a lot higher cut off than the A100 course. Plus, I called the other day and the admissions guy said there are 20 places this year, some of which will probably go to overseas students. Tough decisions!! It certainly is a great uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I wish they had more spaces for grads. Really makes me wish that I didn't do a degree and just take a gap year after my A-levels. I guess I just went with the flow and I kind of regret it now
Reply 3
Original post by PAT330
Currently thinking about applying to Imperial A109 but the thought of sitting the BMAT is very off-putting. I'm fairly sure that they'll have a lot higher cut off than the A100 course. Plus, I called the other day and the admissions guy said there are 20 places this year, some of which will probably go to overseas students. Tough decisions!! It certainly is a great uni.

Are you aware that you have to pay the fees yourself for this course?

"Tuition fees and student finance

Graduate applicants will be required to commit to financing their tuition fees for the duration of their study, however you may be eligible for the government maintenance loan or the NHS bursary."
Hi,

I am 3rd year biomed predicted a 1st (or high 2:1). I got 2610 (652.5) in my ukcat - I am aware that this is not the best but UKCAT. I have decent work experience and extra-curricular stuff.

I really need some help as the deadline is quickly approaching. I need some help with choosing my fourth university. My choices:

1 - St Georges GEP
2 - Swansea GEP
3 - Keele 5 year (this because I know they're not too harsh with UKCAT
4 - I don't know (Sheffield, Leicester, Manchester???)

I don't know what my fourth option should be. I probably need it to be a university that's not too strict with UKCAT, but still uses it. I know I make the minimum requirement for Sheffield but I also know that it is very competitive. I'm not 100% sure about other unis. I know ukcat overall is lower this year, but does anyone have any suggestions about a fourth university I should apply to?

Somebody please help me out.

Thanking you guys in advance,

document35
So am I the only one who applied to this course? hahaha
Original post by AnushkasHero

I applied as well :smile:

I applied too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cutieapple44
I applied as well :smile:

Original post by AishaNeuro

YAY! you're the only two that I am aware off haha

What were your previous degree(s)? Mine was biomedical science :smile:
And hows BMAT prep going? :s

Hahah i wish there was only 3 people, maybe i'd have a chance then! Lol. I did Neuroscience :smile:.

BMAT section 1 and 3 are fine. Section 2 is a pain in the a**.

Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahah i wish there was only 3 people, maybe i'd have a chance then! Lol. I did Neuroscience :smile:.

BMAT section 1 and 3 are fine. Section 2 is a pain in the a**.

Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But I do think that many people would be put off by the BMAT exam and so there will be less applicants this year. And that there isn't much funding either.

I personally think S1 and S2 are ok but S3 is really hard for me!
(edited 9 years ago)

I did Pharmacology. BMAT prep is slow. S1 is alright but I hate having to revise GCSE Science for S2.
I did Pharmacology. BMAT prep is slow. S1 is alright but I hate having to revise GCSE Science for S2.

Yeah it's is quite annoying, thankfully I remember quite a bit so I just revise the things I get wrong on the past papers. I'm so glad they have that online book to help us.
But I do think that many people would be put off by the BMAT exam and so there will be less applicants this year. And that there isn't much funding either.

I personally think S1 and S2 are ok but S3 is really hard for me!

Yeah, i'm sure there will be a signicant drop in the number of applications! Fingers crossed we make it to the interview stage!

Ah i'm okay with S3 as i've had to do plenty of essays in the last 3 years lol.
Yeah, i'm sure there will be a signicant drop in the number of applications! Fingers crossed we make it to the interview stage!

Ah i'm okay with S3 as i've had to do plenty of essays in the last 3 years lol.

Yeah me too! :smile:
I've done tons on essay too but I always knew the topic in a lot of detail so I had loads to write about. Most of the time with the BMAT essays, I don't even understand what they are trying to say :s I really hope there is at least one straightforward one this year!
Yeah it's is quite annoying, thankfully I remember quite a bit so I just revise the things I get wrong on the past papers. I'm so glad they have that online book to help us.

Which online book are you talking about?
Which online book are you talking about?

The cgp one on the official bmat website!
The cgp one on the official bmat website!

Could you add the link for this? I can't seem to find it
Could you add the link for this? I can't seem to find it

https://www.metritests.com/metrica/productscatalog.aspx

Not sure if the link will work. But you can access it under the preparing for the BMAT section on the official website
https://www.metritests.com/metrica/productscatalog.aspx

Not sure if the link will work. But you can access it under the preparing for the BMAT section on the official website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending