The Student Room Group

Charges of oxides, hydroxides, etc

Hey guys, could you please tell me the charges of; oxides, hydroxides, halides, nitrates, sulphates and carbonates?

Thank you!
Original post by TarotOfMagic
Hey guys, could you please tell me the charges of; oxides, hydroxides, halides, nitrates, sulphates and carbonates?

Thank you!

Generally...

O2-
OH-
X- (where X is the halogen)
NO3-
SO42-
CO32-
Reply 2
Depends on what you are asking. In general, compounds are NOT charged, so the short answer is ZERO to all questions. (Copper oxide - CuO, charge zero; sodium hydroxide - NaOH, charge zero, and so on).

Now, if you ask about ANIONS present in these compounds, that's a different thing. Then see Chlorophile answer.
Original post by TarotOfMagic

Thank you!

Original post by Borek
Depends on what you are asking. In general, compounds are NOT charged, so the short answer is ZERO to all questions. (Copper oxide - CuO, charge zero; sodium hydroxide - NaOH, charge zero, and so on).

Now, if you ask about ANIONS present in these compounds, that's a different thing. Then see Chlorophile answer.

Well.... they're all gonna be uncharged if they're correctly balanced compounds :P

Anyway the real point.. you can easily work out the charge of the anion if you konw what the cation charge is! If you can;t remember it from the list above just look at the metal ion. You should be able to remember/work out those more easily.... then just add year 4 maths!
Is this AS OCR spec? If yeah, they give you a list of the ones you need to know in the spec.

Quick Reply

Latest