The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Is it safe to go out at London during midnight?

Hello everyone. I'm just new to London and don't know much about the safety here. I know some students may go out to some pubs at night, but is it safe to go out alone during midnight? I have quite a lot of concerts want to see and most of them won't end until midnight. The more important thing is, I saw a post here saying Brixton is quite a rough area, there is a concert going to be held in O2 Academy Brixton and I really want to go. I am struggling whether going to those concerts or not right now. By the way, would I be safer if I jump on a taxi right after the show? Could anyone please advise on this? Thank you very much!!!
Depends on the area. Tbh I wouldn't go to Brixton alone even in daytime lol. Although I suppose there will be loads of normal people leaving the concert so you should be ok. Why not just go with a friend?

And if you're thinking of venturing into New Cross/Lewisham/Penge/Peckham/Mile End/Hackney I'd forget it haha

Oh and yes definitely book a taxi (in advance) and you will be fine. Don't go around hailing random cabs though because a lot of minicab drivers will try to rip you off or even abduct you (has happened to a friend of mine in Croydon).
(edited 9 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
I've been to plenty of concerts that have ended late, not just in London, and been fine. With such a large crowd of people often travelling to the same areas (taxi ranks, train stations) people tend to be fine. However, should you find yourself lost, alone and in a particularly rough area, there could be the potential for you to find yourself in a bit of trouble.

But yeah, if you're smart (well, not stupid) about where you go, you should be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by tnetennba
Depends on the area. Tbh I wouldn't go to Brixton alone even in daytime lol.

... Lool, I guess it depends on the person. Lived in London my entire life and near Brixton but leave during uni. Its really not that bad especially in the daytime and around the main bit of Brixton where the underground and other shops are. Don't know why people exaggerate how unsafe it is. I've always felt safe when walking around there during the day but I would avoid walking around there (and anywhere else in London) alone around midnight. In general if you're alone at night and need to get back home call a taxi first and wait in a busy area, its fine. All big cities are the same to me tbh, just don't walk around with your headphones in, walk along busier roads instead of alleyways, don't have your phone out etc. Just need to be street smart :tongue:

Anyway, there will be loads of people leaving at the same time so you should be fine. Usually when I'm leaving gigs with a friend I call a taxi and wait outside the venue as loads of people are still around. Its not like the O2 in Brixton is in a quiet area anyway so just get the taxi to pick you up there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
London is a very big international city.

As with other very big international cities, there is a fair bit of crime, the majority of which occurs at night. It's also mostly concentrated in central london and the rougher parts of london. The rougher parts are pretty much everything in Zone 2 give or take. Some areas are more notorious than others, hackney, brixton, mile end, stepney green, shadwell, clapham get a mention.

If you are in a large enough group, on a well lit road, you should be "relatively" safe. Though find yourself in one of those rough areas I listed before, they probably wouldn't mind having a go at mugging the group.

Do not ever walk alone at night, you are asking for trouble. The only people out at night are the drunk clubbers, prostitutes, police and criminals. You'd rather not meet the last bunch.

If you can avoid going out at night, great!! But if you have to go out, be very careful where you go and who you talk to.
London is dangerous at night. Its your life, be careful and try to keep to main/busy road areas
Assume everyone wants to get you in London, lol.
Brixton is fine day or night. Be sensible at night as you would anywhere and you will be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I live near brixton but never been to the o2 gig but iv seen so many people come out of there when a gigs finished and they all seem calm and collective people but obviously loud at the time because there having fun and enjoying the night, i wouldn't say they are a danger but as i know a lot of dangerous things do happen in the area but only involving gangs but any area could be like that but i walk in brixton alone sometimes or with my friend at night but everyone mostly minds there business tbh but yeah its best if you was to book a cab or go with someone just incase

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by heidioyk
Hello everyone. I'm just new to London and don't know much about the safety here. I know some students may go out to some pubs at night, but is it safe to go out alone during midnight? I have quite a lot of concerts want to see and most of them won't end until midnight. The more important thing is, I saw a post here saying Brixton is quite a rough area, there is a concert going to be held in O2 Academy Brixton and I really want to go. I am struggling whether going to those concerts or not right now. By the way, would I be safer if I jump on a taxi right after the show? Could anyone please advise on this? Thank you very much!!!

Well it depends on a number of factors. In central London you are perfectly safe almost always, their are generally plenty of people about and for people who are just going home etc, it is fine. Areas like Brixton can be rough since their are estates and other residential areas where some dangerous people live and you might be unlucky enough to encounter them, but again this is unlikely. After a concert, where hundreds and hundreds of people are on their way home, you will be fine. If you want to get a taxi or an uber to begin with until you know your way around and see for yourself how normal things are, then eventually youll probably be more confident.

Personally, I'm born and bred London(and have lived in some fairly rough areas) and in my life Ive encountered only a handful of people who were genuinely dangerous, and even then these incidents came to nothing. But when I walk around London I look like I know what I'm doing and so I assume people dont notice me, if you walk around rough areas like Brixton nervously at 2am then I can imagine you getting into trouble.

I wouldnt hang about Brixton, Peckham, anywhere East of Hoxton, Kilburn, Ladbroke Grove etc at 1am if I was new in town and didnt really look like I knew what I was doing tbh. Still very very unlikely that you'd find yourself in hot water though.

Also, are you a guy or a girl? English? Posh?
(edited 9 years ago)
Victoria near the station can be a bit dodgy at 1am, but so will anywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
Born and bred Londoner here, and I second Zurich above. I certainly wouldn't consider Brixton a rough area any more, however, and it's actually a really good place to go out. Going to the Brixton Academy is very safe as you'll be walking to and from the station with tonnes of other people. Head to Brixton Village before the gig and there are loads of great restaurants.

Generally, in London, as above, don't walk around nervously, stay clear of any estates (ie stick to main roads) and you'll be fine. I often walk home late at night from all sorts of areas of town (including Brixton) and always feel safe as there are usually lots of people around/ I don't go around staring at dodgy looking characters.

That said, you WILL at some point in London encounter dodgy characters, as in any big city. I've never actually been mugged or worse in London (touch wood). Try and look poor!

Quick Reply

Latest