The Student Room Group

Economics Exam Help-Difference between Analysis and Evaluation

Hi,

Basically when it comes to my 25 mark questions which are the difference between getting a C or A, I'm struggling to properly understand the difference between Analysis and evaluation. At first, I thought it was analysis would be for example, explaining how a subsidy could be used to promote the healthy eating by providing them to healthy food manufacturers and evaluation would be talking about how subsidies carry a huge opportunity cost, how they can be arbitrary and expensive etc. Like listing all of the disadvantages. I've been doing this in my test's and the best mark I've got is 17? Can anyone really define in context how to apply evaluation to the 25 mark question (For both AS and A2, my board's AQA)

Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by Silvalry
Hi,

Basically when it comes to my 25 mark questions which are the difference between getting a C or A, I'm struggling to properly understand the difference between Analysis and evaluation. At first, I thought it was analysis would be for example, explaining how a subsidy could be used to promote the healthy eating by providing them to healthy food manufacturers and evaluation would be talking about how subsidies carry a huge opportunity cost, how they can be arbitrary and expensive etc. Like listing all of the disadvantages. I've been doing this in my test's and the best mark I've got is 17? Can anyone really define in context how to apply evaluation to the 25 mark question (For both AS and A2, my board's AQA)

Thank you in advance :smile:

Hello there,
I have only done AS level but hope this helps anyway. Here is a link to a document from the AQA website - Evaluation Guidance for Teachers -telling you what exactly evaluation is and with the odd example too. Evaluation does include recognising alternative points of view, as you say you do, but also coming to an overall judgement on the question. It also lists other things you can do to evaluate.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2140-W-TRB-OGEGT.PDF

Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by stardude8
Hello there,
I have only done AS level but hope this helps anyway. Here is a link to a document from the AQA website - Evaluation Guidance for Teachers -telling you what exactly evaluation is and with the odd example too. Evaluation does include recognising alternative points of view, as you say you do, but also coming to an overall judgement on the question. It also lists other things you can do to evaluate.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2140-W-TRB-OGEGT.PDF

Any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:

That's Great! Thank you so much! :biggrin:
I'm not sure about the formal definitions. I think an evaluation ultimately leads to some conclusion, like a comparison of the costs and benefits, if benefits exceed costs, then X is a good thing. An analysis considers many of the elements involved in a problem, without necessarily reaching a definitive conclusion
Original post by Silvalry
That's Great! Thank you so much! :biggrin:

No problem - I had the same question as you before I top ok my AS exams, but this document gave me a lot of ideas. Are you resitting AS alongside A2? If so, I'd be happy to look over some of your AS essays or help with A2 essays if you want. The problem with doing evaluation is that it covers things which are not explicitly mentioned in the main AQA textbook, and so you have to think beyond that for evaluation points.

Good luck with your year and exams!
Original post by stardude8
No problem - I had the same question as you before I top ok my AS exams, but this document gave me a lot of ideas. Are you resitting AS alongside A2? If so, I'd be happy to look over some of your AS essays or help with A2 essays if you want. The problem with doing evaluation is that it covers things which are not explicitly mentioned in the main AQA textbook, and so you have to think beyond that for evaluation points.

Good luck with your year and exams!

Yeah I am. I got a B overall at AS, but resiting AS so I have a better chance of getting An A at A level. Thank you for the offer. I really appreciate it :smile:
[QUOTE="username1581977;50506261"]That's Great! Thank you so much! :biggrin:[/QUOTE
I dont know how to do next?

Quick Reply

Latest