The Student Room Group

Article on the lad culture growing abuse of women at university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cole-slaw
Lad culture is fantastic. Its about being young, having fun, having a great bunch of mates, sticking together, playing sport, having a beer, sleeping with girls. Its a happy, healthy and enjoyable lifestyle.

Wtf is wrong with that?

Its no coincidence that its the same hateful bunch of sad ****ers dissing lad culture that are the ones claiming all women are sluts and abusing women in the street and going on PUA and PUAhate forums.

To me lad culture is about shagging random birds,getting random tattoos,running around town half nakid,getting arrested, fighting,getting an std,throwing up,exchanging mouth fluids,shouting,pop pills,sexual assault,homo errotic banter with the lads and getting hospital treatment
We all like to have fun but lad culture is retarded
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Blue_Mason
Again incorrect.
All I am saying is as a woman if you volunteer yourself to get wasted in unfamiliar surroundings whislt the wolves are out in full force, then you shouldn't get the same level of support and empathy as other,more genuine victims of sexual assault, because in a way you put yourself in blatant danger by being an unstable drunken mess!
Again why do women dress in such attire when they know the dangers?

No you didn't.
These women allow themselves to be taken advantage of and do not deserve any sympathy .

And wtf is a genuine victim. A victim is a victim. Men are not wolves, men are men. And we are talking about college campus rape, campuses are meant to be a community, a home where people feel safe and comfortable. It's not "getting drunk in an unfamiliar place". I see no reason why women should be shunned for enjoying themselves as much as their male contemporaries.
Those girls should be more worried about "Asian" culture than lad culture.
To me lad culture is about shagging random birds,getting random tattoos,running around town half nakid,getting arrested, fighting,getting an std,throwing up,exchanging mouth fluids,shouting,pop pills,sexual assault,homo errotic banter with the lads and getting hospital treatment
We all like to have fun but lad culture is retarded

Well, that's completely wrong, as any lad would tell you.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Not at all. There's nothing wrong with any of that, it just seems to me like 'lad culture' turns the whole process of going out, getting drunk and having fun into some sort of competition to see who is the laddest lad or who can bant the most bants or whatever as if they need to prove themselves to each other, instead of just playing it cool and doing your own thing. It often seems to create a breed of brash, obnoxious and sometimes just straight up rude/aggressive revellers who I don't really want to be in the same venue as. My social circle and I love to go out and get stupid drunk probably more than we should but to me LAD culture seems to entail doing exactly the same thing we do but being a bit of a nob in the process.

Again, completely wrong. Being a lad is about being a good mate and a good person - as any lad will tell you.
Original post by Truths
No you didn't.

But notice I said women that allow themselves to be taken advantage of should not get the same level of sympathy as other victims
You put yourself in danger,then hey **** happens

And wtf is a genuine victim. A victim is a victim. Men are not wolves, men are men. And we are talking about college campus rape, campuses are meant to be a community, a home where people feel safe and comfortable. It's not "getting drunk in an unfamiliar place". I see no reason why women should be shunned for enjoying themselves as much as their male contemporaries.

Regardless of my choice wording we still have predators and opportunist out there hence we have criminals and victims on a daily basis.
Well I am talking about clubs,bars and parks or areas that are outside of college campus or safe zones.
Its bad enough we have such an appaling drinking culture and drinking etiqutte.
Getting wasted and having no bodily control is not enjoyment,you see I am focusing on the more extreme but negative sides of going out.
Yes a victim is a victim but not all of them deserve the same level of support if I am being honest.
dont get drunk with these idiots then, they don't think and act like the vast majority of respectful males, problem solved
Well, that's completely wrong, as any lad would tell you.

Cultures do evolve m8,some for the better some for the worse
Again, completely wrong. Being a lad is about being a good mate and a good person - as any lad will tell you.

So what exactly distinguishes 'lad culture' from 'having friends and going out with them' if it isn't 'being a lad', i.e. a nob?
Reply 89
Regardless of my choice wording we still have predators and opportunist out there hence we have criminals and victims on a daily basis.
Well I am talking about clubs,bars and parks or areas that are outside of college campus or safe zones.
Its bad enough we have such an appaling drinking culture and drinking etiqutte.
Getting wasted and having no bodily control is not enjoyment,you see I am focusing on the more extreme but negative sides of going out.
Yes a victim is a victim but not all of them deserve the same level of support if I am being honest.

The picture you posted did not illustrate a "wasted girl with no control over her limbs with no bodily control". The picture you posted was of 2 girls walking together in provocative clothing. Stop trying to back track lmao. You continue to change the criteria
Real lads dont go to uni. They're either skilled tradesmen or criminals.
Original post by Truths
The picture you posted did not illustrate a "wasted girl with no control over her limbs with no bodily control". The picture you posted was of 2 girls walking together in provocative clothing. Stop trying to back track lmao. You continue to change the criteria

But you know I am right deep down
So what exactly distinguishes 'lad culture' from 'having friends and going out with them' if it isn't 'being a lad', i.e. a nob?

A lad is not a nob, what a ridiculously judgemental and highly offensive suggestion. If you are a nob, you will not have any male friends, hence you can no longer be considered a lad.

Being a lad implies you enjoy the company of your male friends and typically male interests like playing sport, drinking beer and having sex with attractive women. All things I enjoy and will wholeheartedly encourage my son to take up when I have one. The three things kinda go hand in hand, funnily enough. Think of it as the holy trinity.
A lad is not a nob, what a ridiculously judgemental and highly offensive suggestion. If you are a nob, you will not have any male friends, hence you can no longer be considered a lad.

Being a lad implies you enjoy the company of your male friends and typically male interests like playing sport, drinking beer and having sex with attractive women. All things I enjoy and will wholeheartedly encourage my son to take up when I have one. The three things kinda go hand in hand, funnily enough. Think of it as the holy trinity.

What you describe is what most people call 'having a social life'. 'Laddishness' may involve many of the same things but for most people the term adds a whole bunch of negative connotations on top of them. I'm sure it can mean different things to different people but generally it goes above and beyond the normal human activities of drinking and screwing. And come on man let's not pretend that nobheads don't have nobhead friends.
What you describe is what most people call 'having a social life'. 'Laddishness' may involve many of the same things but for most people the term adds a whole bunch of negative connotations on top of them. I'm sure it can mean different things to different people but generally it goes above and beyond the normal human activities of drinking and screwing. And come on man let's not pretend that nobheads don't have nobhead friends.

For many people, but not for groups of lads themselves.

This is the problem, the people dismissing lads as a bunch of knobs are people who have no experience in laddish male environments like sports clubs. I've been part of several groups of lads and a nicer, more respectful bunch of young men you could not possibly hope to meet.

The inference made in threads such as this is that there is a correlation between young men who enjoy stereotypically male-oriented pursuits and misogynist and sexist attitudes. In fact, the diametric opposite is true. Lads are generally popular and successful with women, and partake of an environment with a robust social feedback mechanism that corrects any inappropriate sexist or "dickish" views.

As I said in a previous post, the same people who criticise lads are the ones who then go on to espouse misogynistic or sexist views.
Reply 95
A lad is in between a gentlemen and a "dick". Of course it's a lot closer to the latter.
Original post by Truths
A lad is in between a gentlemen and a "dick". Of course it's a lot closer to the latter.

Elliot Rodger: true gentleman, definitely not a lad.
Seriously, do people actually do any work at university any more? You do have to wonder what universities are for these days.

Probably best not to go out half naked, down a bottle of tequila, and go back with a load of tanked up rugby boys in the first place if you want your dignity to remain intact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending