The Student Room Group

Becoming a Primary School Teacher?

This will be a long thread (apologies), but I would really appreciate it, if you can read it all. Thanks!

Hi guys, was just wondering if some of you could possibly help me with some questions and concerns I have?

Background:

Been out of education now for 4.5 years (left 6th form in 2010), and have been working full time since. I'm now 23.
I've never been majorly academic (more hands on and vocational). I hated exams, found it hard to sit down and revise- but I loved essays, coursework and projects. I always did well in those three.
I got average GCSES (Cs, with some Bs).
Same-ish at AS Level (just Cs and one D).
I completely flunked A2 (partly down to pneumonia), though amazingly still had enough to get into uni, and received several offers.

I never really wanted to go to Uni, hence why I decided not to. I didn't want the debt, couldn't commit to a course I wanted to do, if I'm honest I wasn't ready for the student lifestyle, and I'm not that academic.

Fast forward 4 years and I still have no idea what I want to do, and I'm looking for a career change.

I started I think about my strengths (patience, leadership, work well with kids) and thought what I could do with them.
I always get told I'm great with kids and that I should work with them- but childcare has never appealed to me.

I then thought about Primary Education, and it really appealed to me, and a lot of people who know me, including many people who I have worked with in childcare (I've done bits for nurseries, youth groups and pre schools) said that I should do it.

Using that information, do you think it's an achievable goal?
Also what sort of path should I, and do I have to take?
I'd imagine I would have to do a foundation course, as I won't have enough UCAS points.

Apologies for a really long thread, and I really appreciate your replies.
Yes I do think it's possible, although will involve a lot of determination and commitment on your part.

If you google 'part time foundation degree education' or similar, you'll find that there are a lot of degrees designed specifically for people like you, who've worked in Early Years, liked it, and want to progress to be a teacher. Example here but there are lots of others.

For this kind of degree, A level qualifications are less important but they will look more closely at your application as a whole, and your professional experience. You will need to be in a job working with children, because the coursework will involve investigating your setting, and you will need to have a supportive employer who lets you have the time off for attending college (or be working part-time). It's likely to be one day a week.

I know three people who have taken this route. Two were experienced TAs in infant schools, both of them left school with GCSEs and worked up through the NVQ route (NVQ - Foundation degree - Honours degree - SCITT) One started as a childminder and is still in the process. It's a long term commitment!

I'd say that you should check out the courses available in your area, contact the unis/colleges to discuss whether your A levels and professional experience meet the entry criteria, and then consider what employment steps you should take to put yourself in a position to make a competitive application.

There are other routes, but because you've said you are more hands on and prefer coursework/projects, this would seem to fit your requirements.
Original post by Jantaculum
Yes I do think it's possible, although will involve a lot of determination and commitment on your part.

If you google 'part time foundation degree education' or similar, you'll find that there are a lot of degrees designed specifically for people like you, who've worked in Early Years, liked it, and want to progress to be a teacher. Example here but there are lots of others.

For this kind of degree, A level qualifications are less important but they will look more closely at your application as a whole, and your professional experience. You will need to be in a job working with children, because the coursework will involve investigating your setting, and you will need to have a supportive employer who lets you have the time off for attending college (or be working part-time). It's likely to be one day a week.

I know three people who have taken this route. Two were experienced TAs in infant schools, both of them left school with GCSEs and worked up through the NVQ route (NVQ - Foundation degree - Honours degree - SCITT) One started as a childminder and is still in the process. It's a long term commitment!

I'd say that you should check out the courses available in your area, contact the unis/colleges to discuss whether your A levels and professional experience meet the entry criteria, and then consider what employment steps you should take to put yourself in a position to make a competitive application.

There are other routes, but because you've said you are more hands on and prefer coursework/projects, this would seem to fit your requirements.

Thanks for your advise, really appreciate it.

Are this support wells generally paid, or voluntary?

I suppose what I struggle with, is the idea of dropping my 38-50 hour working week.
I'd lose my independence, earnings, and won't be able to save.
In terms of trying to move out, it'll probably set me back 3 years or so.

It'll be a struggle to give that all up.
Reply 3
just wondering if I could do a primary education degree in university eve though I have studied btec business and law in college.
Been researching this more- I really don't have the motivation to go to uni for three/four years.

I'd rather learn on the job, or as much as possible.

Are there options were you can volunteer/assist for a few years with part time college study, then do a year with a school and gain a qualification?
Or do one year at uni?

Are there such routes?
Original post by Standard Procedure
Been researching this more- I really don't have the motivation to go to uni for three/four years.

I'd rather learn on the job, or as much as possible.

Are there options were you can volunteer/assist for a few years with part time college study, then do a year with a school and gain a qualification?
Or do one year at uni?

Are there such routes?

Teaching is a graduate career.

You MUST have an undergraduate degree to teach. There really isn't a way around it. I've heard (very rarely) of people with decades of work experience (usually in a related field) managing to get onto a post-grad training course without an undergrad degree, but this would never be the case for someone so young.

Your options are to get an undergrad degree in whatever subject you fancy (within reason) then doing a 1 year PGCE / SCITT / School Direct or a 2 year Teach First ITT route. Alternatively, you do a 3 year undergrad degree in primary education with QTS.

In my view, if you can't be bothered to go to uni to join a profession which requires you to have a degree, then you probably aren't looking at the right career path for you.

Have you considered a TA role instead? Pay isn't great, but you only need level 1 /2 /3 /4 qualifications (depending on the school and the particular responsibilities of the role).
Have you looked at the open university? you study part time at home so can hold down a full time job as well. or start by doing nvq2/3 in support teaching and look to gain a job as a teaching assistant. you will still need to have a degree to be a qualified teacher though x
Reply 7
just wondering if I could do a primary education degree in university even though I have studied a btec in business and law in collage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending