The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do with my life

Hey guys :smile: I finished my A-Levels (Maths, Further maths, Chemistry and Physics) this year and I'm taking a gap year because I am still not sure of what I want to do with my life. I enjoy solving complex math problems but I don't want to do engineering and there are many computer science graduates so I doubt that I should do a computer science degree. I would like to work in the business/finance sector, but I'm not sure of what degree to do. I recently started considering doing CIMA to become an accountant but I first want to do a solid bachelor's degree that would give me alot of other opportunities incase if I do not enjoy doing accounting. I would really appreciate anyone's help and advice :confused:
Physics sounds like a good option then if you've done it at A-level but aren't interested in a maths degree. There will be plenty of mathematical problems to keep you busy, and also you can pick up skills in a programming language such as C++ and also in statistics, which will both be valuable to you should you want to go into the financial sector. Physics also fits the bill for you wanting to keep your options open with regards to other careers. On top of everything else, it's a great thing to be educated in regardless of what you do with your life, I consider it the most important thing I've ever done.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
Physics sounds like a good option then if you've done it at A-level but aren't interested in a maths degree. There will be plenty of mathematical problems to keep you busy, and also you can pick up skills in a programming language such as C++ and also in statistics, which will both be valuable to you should you want to go into the financial sector. Physics also fits the bill for you wanting to keep your options open with regards to other careers. On top of everything else, it's a great thing to be educated in regardless of what you do with your life, I consider it the most important thing I've ever done.

Thanks for replying but I don't think I want to do a Physics degree. I like Physics but not as much as someone that would want to do a Physics degree and I prefer statistics to mechanics..
Original post by dreamgirl13
Hey guys :smile: I finished my A-Levels (Maths, Further maths, Chemistry and Physics) this year and I'm taking a gap year because I am still not sure of what I want to do with my life. I enjoy solving complex math problems but I don't want to do engineering and there are many computer science graduates so I doubt that I should do a computer science degree. I would like to work in the business/finance sector, but I'm not sure of what degree to do. I recently started considering doing CIMA to become an accountant but I first want to do a solid bachelor's degree that would give me alot of other opportunities incase if I do not enjoy doing accounting. I would really appreciate anyone's help and advice :confused:

Hi
Many people do not know what they want to do as a career, you are not alone, I didn't know until a year AFTER I graduated (many years a go now!).

I suggest you study at university whatever subject you most enjoy most, and don't worry about careers for now, things have a habit of falling into place, especially since you will have a further three years to think about it. It may or may not be related to your degree.

If you are interested in accountancy look at my posts on accountancy as a career, I would be happy to help further if I can.

Good luck, and don't worry too much.
Don't be too quick to dismiss computer science. A degree in computer science (as opposed to something like 'computing' etc.) Will set you on his stead for a number of careers and the top graduates will always be needed. Take a look on the internet for programmer jobs or similar things and you'll realise how much is out there for computer scientists.

But, as a poster above said, take what you enjoy and you'll find everything else falls into place :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ez_accountancy
Hi
Many people do not know what they want to do as a career, you are not alone, I didn't know until a year AFTER I graduated (many years a go now!).

I suggest you study at university whatever subject you most enjoy most, and don't worry about careers for now, things have a habit of falling into place, especially since you will have a further three years to think about it. It may or may not be related to your degree.

If you are interested in accountancy look at my posts on accountancy as a career, I would be happy to help further if I can.

Good luck, and don't worry too much.

Thanks! That seems like a really good idea! :smile:

Do you however think that I would be at a disadvantage if I want to do CIMA after doing a science degree ?

I would make sure to check your posts for more info about accounting :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by hothedgehog
Don't be too quick to dismiss computer science. A degree in computer science (as opposed to something like 'computing' etc.) Will set you on his stead for a number of careers and the top graduates will always be needed. Take a look on the internet for programmer jobs or similar things and you'll realise how much is out there for computer scientists.

But, as a poster above said, take what you enjoy and you'll find everything else falls into place :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile: I would put computer science back on my list then because I do love maths and algorithms; I'm not sure about programming though..
Thanks! That seems like a really good idea! :smile:

Do you however think that I would be at a disadvantage if I want to do CIMA after doing a science degree ?

I would make sure to check your posts for more info about accounting :smile:

Hi
not at all,though CIMA, as you know is a management accounting qualification, which is just one branch of the accountancy profession. I would suggest ICAEW/ACA is more appropriate and will give you greater options following qualification.
Reply 8
Original post by ez_accountancy
Hi
not at all,though CIMA, as you know is a management accounting qualification, which is just one branch of the accountancy profession. I would suggest ICAEW/ACA is more appropriate and will give you greater options following qualification.

Ok. Thanks alot :smile:
Thanks for the advice :smile: I would put computer science back on my list then because I do love maths and algorithms; I'm not sure about programming though..

Well, the point is that for IT related jobs there is a huge demand so you should be very well placed to find a job. Good luck with your choice - I'm sure whatever you do you'll enjoy it!
Reply 10
Original post by hothedgehog
Well, the point is that for IT related jobs there is a huge demand so you should be very well placed to find a job. Good luck with your choice - I'm sure whatever you do you'll enjoy it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending