The Student Room Group

Why Does TV/Society Find Woman -> Man Violence Acceptable?

Watch any number of TV shows like Eastenders, Hollyoaks, Coronation Street etc. and throughout the episodes you can often see scenes of a woman slapping a man across the face. Usually because the man has cheated, or done something to hurt the woman. And a number of people (can't say all) will see this as the man deserved it.

Yet, if we see a man slap a woman across the face, the end of the TV show contains a message "If you've been affected by domestic violence contact ...". You rarely see a man hit a woman on TV unless it's making a point about domestic violence and such like.

Isn't this painting a picture that a woman hitting a man is ok in the right circumstances?

Just a question.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I personally think it's ****ed up and wrong. It's such a gross double standard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cascadingstylez
Watch any number of TV shows like Eastenders, Hollyoaks, Coronation Street etc. and throughout the episodes you can often see scenes of a woman slapping a man across the face. Usually because the man has cheated, or done something to hurt the woman. And a number of people (can't say all) will see this as the man deserved it.

Yet, if we see a man slap a woman across the face, the end of the TV show contains a message "If you've been affected by domestic violence contact ...". You rarely see a man hit a woman on TV unless it's making a point about domestic violence and such like.

Isn't this painting a picture that a woman hitting a man is ok in the right circumstances?

Just a question.

It was notable to me that the Buzzfeed video on 'swapping gender roles in movies' that got a predictably overstated response on certain blogging sites didn't have a scene swapping things so that a man slapped a woman for comedic effect.

What I find even more odious is the general stigma against directly insulting a woman if you're a man, but not vice versa. For example I was watching an episode of QI a few days ago where Jo Brand calls Rob Brydon a knobhead and he gets mock-offended by it - Stephen Fry then mutters 'yes, I always wonder how it would play out if it had been the other way around - somehow we seem to allow women to insult men but not vice versa'.
Oh please get a grip. Men should be men and stop acting like wusses when a woman shoves or slaps them. I always find it's the weak and insecure men who are quick to react are the same men that are usually being abusive and raping women.
In 2001 a mobile phone was advert was aired many times staring Wycliffe Jean. The jist of it was that he ended up in prison because he broke a contract with a woman.
The advert ended with a scene where he is in the showers with a group of other men, all learing at him. One enormous bald guy dropped the soap and said to WJ, " Pick it up"
Cut to a close crop of WJs face sweating and looking terrified.
The joke of course being he was about to get gang raped.
The same year this was aired there was a large jump in the number of male prisoner suicides in the uk. In heregion of 38%.iirc.
A large proportion of prison suicides is down to weaker men not able to defend themselves against repeated physical or sexual assaults.
Sadly they see suicide as the only way out of their situation.
You would imagine that feminists would have been all over this like a rash wouldnt you.
Well they werent. Not a peep.

A complaint was made ( by a gay rights group iirc) and the advertising ombudsman found in favour of the advertising company. Essentialy saying it was donein humourand therefor ok.
All that was.missing was them saying " Oh lighten up ffs"

Can yoy ever imagine this advert even getting made, let alone aired and then approved by an ombudsman if it was a woman about to getgang raped for our entertainment?

BTW. Next time you see a feminist telling a mens human rights activist that they are not needed as a group and they should pack it in and support feminism as that covers all the problems that men face too, just remember the utter silence from them on this ad. if ever there was a blatent example of rape cultre this was it and it was handed to them on a plate.
(edited 9 years ago)
I wasn't aware of that caravaggio2 ... makes a very valid point. I'm sick of seeing women hitting men on TV as if it's normal.
I think it was Virgin Mobile.
Original post by Marky Mark
Oh please get a grip. Men should be men and stop acting like wusses when a woman shoves or slaps them. I always find it's the weak and insecure men who are quick to react are the same men that are usually being abusive and raping women.

So, you're condoning violence from both sides?
Reply 8
Original post by cascadingstylez
Watch any number of TV shows like Eastenders, Hollyoaks, Coronation Street etc.

My parents watch Coronation Street. There's this one couple in particular that make uncomfortable viewing, considering it's played out to be comedy. One scene that stands out for me was the man had been out all night, his girlfriend (or maybe she's his wife) saw him in the street and dragged him home by his ear. And there's lots of scenes where this woman and his mother call him stupid and mock him. I wanted to refilm the scenes exactly, but with the woman in the place of the man, to show that people wouldn't accept it as comedy if it was the other way around, and that we shouldn't be letting it be used as such in it's current form either. But I don't have the appropriate technology or expertise.
Reply 9
Has a feminist posted yet and femsplained how it's all patriarchy/men's fault? Ironic since they're the first ones to moan about victim blaming.
Original post by obidobi
Has a feminist posted yet and femsplained how it's all patriarchy/men's fault? Ironic since they're the first ones to moan about victim blaming.

Ran out of thumbs. Will give you tomorrow for this. Classic!
Historically domestic violence has always been more of a problem for women than for men, and more dangerous for women than for men. In most cases, everyone knows that a woman couldn't physically do much to a man even if she wanted to, so if she slaps him, the most that he'll get is a stinging sensation in his face. Whereas if people see a man do that to a woman, they're much less accepting of it because, if he's willing to be violent towards her, then her safety is perceived to be much more at risk.

Slapstick violence against men (especially from women) is seen to be more funny, because they're considered to be more able to take it. The weaker person attacking the stronger person is something of a "turning of the tables", like a dog standing on its hind legs and holding a crawling human on a leash, or a child reprimanding their parent and telling them to go to their room, and that they're in big trouble. Violence from men against women is seen to be more distressing, because it's reminiscent of the more prevalent dangers that they face in such circumstances.
Because it's all fun and games when the man should man up.

muh double standards
muh privilege
muh feminism
Its strange the way that people want it both ways.
"Women are strong! "
"Theres nothing a man can do that a woman cant! "
Whether it's
Police arresting someone
Firefighter rescuing some
Soldier killing someone (coming soon) Women can dish it out.
Then when it comes to domestic violence or entertainment violence suddenly women are weak.
Violence is violence no matter who is on the receiving end and should be condemed.
40% of DV victims are men
70% of non reciprocal DV the victims are men.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by caravaggio2
In 2001 a mobile phone was advert was aired many times staring Wycliffe Jean. The jist of it was that he ended up in prison because he broke a contract with a woman.
The advert ended with a scene where he is in the showers with a group of other men, all learing at him. One enormous bald guy dropped the soap and said to WJ, " Pick it up"
Cut to a close crop of WJs face sweating and looking terrified.
The joke of course being he was about to get gang raped.
The same year this was aired there was a large jump in the number of male prisoner suicides in the uk. In heregion of 38%.iirc.
A large proportion of prison suicides is down to weaker men not able to defend themselves against repeated physical or sexual assaults.
Sadly they see suicide as the only way out of their situation.
You would imagine that feminists would have been all over this like a rash wouldnt you.
Well they werent. Not a peep.

A complaint was made ( by a gay rights group iirc) and the advertising ombudsman found in favour of the advertising company. Essentialy saying it was donein humourand therefor ok.
All that was.missing was them saying " Oh lighten up ffs"

Can yoy ever imagine this advert even getting made, let alone aired and then approved by an ombudsman if it was a woman about to getgang raped for our entertainment?

BTW. Next time you see a feminist telling a mens human rights activist that they are not needed as a group and they should pack it in and support feminism as that covers all the problems that men face too, just remember the utter silence from them on this ad. if ever there was a blatent example of rape cultre this was it and it was handed to them on a plate.

Virgin mobile. And I remember the phrase used perfectly. "Hey superstar... Pass the soap."
On another note. Has anyone noticed that of the two British people murdered in thailand, the girl is getting about 90% of the media attention.
Thats benevolent sexism and the patriachy.
Come on get with the program H
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Huskaris
On another note. Has anyone noticed that of the two British people murdered in thailand, the girl is getting about 90% of the media attention.

Original post by caravaggio2
Thats benevolent sexism and the patriachy.
Come on get with the program H

Yeah even though feminists tell us women are considered little more than farm animals in the West. This is just one case though, you can see this stuff every week. Woman is missing/found dead : media blows up for days or weeks, front page, social media campaigns etc etc. Same thing happens to guy and he'll be lucky to get mentioned next to the crossword puzzle. But remember, women barely have the same privileges, rights and opportunities as farm animals. Dat patriarchy sure has strange ways of showing it tho.
Most men understand the difference here, that it's not the same when a woman hits a man because she's unlikely to do as much damage.

It's not right, and women shouldn't go round with some idea in their head that they have a free pass to hit and be free from consequences but most of the time a woman is not going to do any real damage so just grab her wrists and restrain her. It's not on the same scale as a guy hitting a woman where she's not in a position to do anything about it.

Reminds me of last winter when it was snowing, this kid, probably 9 or 10 year old came up to point blank range and snowballed me in the face. It was a good shot and hurt a lot, so obviously I was annoyed. First thought that flashed through my head was, I could give this kid a good chinning, he's still in primary school so one punch he's gonna go down and it will teach him a lesson. I didn't though, I just let him run off.

Now had I smacked that kid one and asked for support on here how would people have reacted, would you have said "yes, what about MEN'S rights against primary school children?", "the child asked for it", "MEN should stop taking abuse from children" or would you have said, get a life mate it's a kid, if you can't deal with a kid it's pathetic.
Yes, because that comparison works doesnt it?😄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending