The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Nottingham or Westminster?

Hi! I'm an international student and for my year abroad in England I'm looking forward to have a good experience with student life. I have two options, The University of Nottingham and The University of Westminster. Which one would you recommend for meeting new people and making friends? I've also heard mixed opinions about the quality of the courses in Westminster, but I really have no idea since I don't live in the UK and there isn't much information elsewhere.
Reply 1
Nottingham! London is expensive, crowded and overrated :/
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Original post by adrianalh
Hi! I'm an international student and for my year abroad in England I'm looking forward to have a good experience with student life. I have two options, The University of Nottingham and The University of Westminster. Which one would you recommend for meeting new people and making friends? I've also heard mixed opinions about the quality of the courses in Westminster, but I really have no idea since I don't live in the UK and there isn't much information elsewhere.

Definitely Nottingham - it is part of the Russell Group so is a much better uni; better facilities, better teaching, smarter students so smarter peers (that helps alot while studying) and better reputation so better chance of employment upon completion of degree. It also has a better location and better social life. Nottingham has one of the most beautiful uni campuses in the world. It is sometimes referred to as 'the alternative to Oxbridge'. Accommodation would be cheaper there also.
Reply 3
Hi Adrianalh
Although I don't know much about the courses and their quality at Nottingham, I was born and raised in the city and my Dad works at the Uni so I have a lot of experience with the city and the campus. I would definitely tell you to choose Nottingham, the campus is lovely with lots of green areas, which I've used many summers :smile: there's great sports facilities and it's only about 10-15 minutes away on the bus (which is a £1 for students) to the town centre. Nottingham is a great place to live as it's a big city but not TOO big. It is also a good base where you can easily take day trips to other cities in the UK to explore such as Birmingham or London as you're an international student this may be of interest. I think the uni is absolutely gorgeous and I would go there myself if I hadn't grown up here. If you have any other questions about the campus or the city feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 4
I got my BA at Nottingham and currently doing MSc at Westminster. As an international student, I personally prefer Westminster given the experience i have had so far. I love the vibrant life in London where i can easily get part-time job to support the expensive cost of living here. Not much but it give me greater exposure to the local life and improve my English. In term of teaching, the league doesn't guarantee you will have good lecturers. There are good and bad everywhere. And the ranking doesn't help much in term of career prospect so far for my case. Back in my country, unless you go to Oxbridge, every university is the same. The only thing that matters is whether you get a first or not. It requires your efforts not about which uni you are going to attend. Also, i believe Westminster have better support for students in finding a job. Because Westminster wants to become a practical uni, they give more priority to this.
The life in Nottingham is a little boring for me. I rather study in London and have a one or two-day trip to Nottingham. So, think about where you want to stay. Studying abroad doesn't mean you only study. It's about experience as well.
All the best
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending