The Student Room Group

high school or secondary school?

This poll is closed

high school or secondary school

high school 16%
secondary school84%
Total votes: 32
I see a lot of people on TSR using the term high school for secondary school, when in the UK its secondary school not high school

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jeez, is this what people complain about these days? There are better things to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Norin
Jeez, is this what people complain about these days? There are better things to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

like what?
Reply 3
Original post by Norin

Posted from TSR Mobile

just had an operation and kinda bored :tongue:
Secondary School ftw, I ain't no american!
Reply 5
Original post by plantagenet crown
secondary school ftw, i ain't no american!

america **** yeh!
It isn't an Americanism. This country has quite a few 3 tier systems, but it depends on the county you live in.

Primary
Middle
High

or the more common one:

Primary
Secondary

The American system works like this:

Elementary
Junior High
High

They are not the same thing, and it's perfectly acceptable that some people refer to their school as a 'High School'.
Some secondary schools + grammars are called 'High Schools'. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I say high school because it was part of my school's name, as with infant school and junior school.

Infant (Reception - Year 2)
Junior (Years 3-6)
High (Years 7-11)

But there are other schools nearby that are referred to as middle, primary, secondary and the like, guess it just depends on the individual school.
Secondary schools are way more common but high school isn't incorrect so I can't answer the poll.
My school was literally called a high school in it's name and always has been so it's hardly Americanism.. think it's more Scottish to say it though idk?

Goes primary then high school then college/uni hm

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's Secondary school not High school unless you're living in America! :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Secondary school
My school is actually called "_______ High School" but I still say secondary school

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mine is a "Center For Learning". Is that weird?

IDK, :unsure: ...
Reply 15
I live near a school where it's entitled a High School. I find it a bit weird though.
My school was a "high school"' so that's what I call it. There's no right or wrong word for it. Near me all the schools are called "high schools" because they have it in their name.
mine was called 'community college'

it wasn't even a college though.
Original post by KittyRe-play
It's Secondary school not High school unless you're living in America! :s-smilie:

This!! It annoys me when I have younger relatives who say that theyre going to "high school" It's secondary school, damnit!
Original post by de_monies
This!! It annoys me when I have younger relatives who say that theyre going to "high school" It's secondary school, damnit!

Haha they're watching a bit too much High School Musical I think. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest