The Student Room Group

Applying to Imperial College London to do geology

I am thinking about applying to do geology at imperial, however i don't know if my AS are 'good enough'. I got an A in geography, B in biology,D in maths (i am going to resit 2 modules to get a better grade on it) and D in physics I am doing now maths, geography and biology and my minimum target grade are 3 As (not predicted grades though!). I know that they ask for AAA, should i apply? :s
Original post by Imranfr0
I am thinking about applying to do geology at imperial, however i don't know if my AS are 'good enough'. I got an A in geography, B in biology,D in maths (i am going to resit 2 modules to get a better grade on it) and D in physics I am doing now maths, geography and biology and my minimum target grade are 3 As (not predicted grades though!). I know that they ask for AAA, should i apply? :s

Whilst I obviously can't give you a definitive answer, I would say that it's practically impossible. Imperial College is now ranked second in the world, and they are one of the most competitive universities in the country for Geology. The fact that you only got Ds in your physical science AS levels (given that Geology is a physical science) means that they would probably instantly reject you, regardless of your target grades or anything else. Unfortunately, your A in Geography is pretty irrelevant since it's a social science and Imperial really don't care about it. AAA is their 'minimum offer' but in reality, virtually all offers they give out are higher. They apparently regularly give out A*A*AA offers and above. So, given that most people applying will have straight As, I really don't think it's worth wasting a choice on Imperial. If you really want to get in, I'd suggest applying post-A2 if you manage to nail those exams and retakes and get A*AA or above.
Reply 2
hey i go A italian A biology B geology B psychology C chemistry and im predicted A*AAA (dropped psychology)- is it worth it applying for petroleum geoscienc eta imperial with those AS grades? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest