The Student Room Group

Should students be persuaded to study more FAME and STEM subjects?

Seriously I swear with degrees in art related subjects or stuff like politics or history, those graduates always find the job market x10 tougher

FAME = finance, accounting, management and economics
STEM = science, technology, engineering and maths
Original post by Yux
Seriously I swear with degrees in art related subjects or stuff like politics or history, those graduates always find the job market x10 tougher

Really? :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Lol FAME

just lol

there is STEM, economics then everything else.
Reply 3
its not my fault employment figures are higher for those subjects.....besides people who study these subjects tend to have higher earning power...p.s i'm not saying people shouldn't study art related subjects, instead for those students they should go to an art/theater school (who teach the best of the best in these subjects)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
not only that but underemployment figures tend to be lower for STEM and FAME subjects...that means people with these degrees are more likely to start with jobs where the skills they were taught are used rather than wasted
Original post by Yux

Fame makes a man take things over.
Fame lets him loose, hard to swallow.
Fame puts you there where things are hollow. Fame.
Fame, it's not your brain, it's just the flame
That burns your change to keep you insane. Fame.

Fame, what you like is in the limo.
Fame, what you get is no tomorrow.
Fame, what you need you have to borrow. Fame.
Fame, it's mine, it's mine, it's just his line
To bind your time, it drives you to crime. Fame.

Is it any wonder I reject you first?
Fame, fame, fame, fame.
Is it any wonder you are too cool to fool? Fame.
Fame, bully for you, chilly for me,
Got to get a rain check on pain. Fame.

Fame, fame,
Fame, fame,
Fame, fame, fame,
Fame, fame, fame, fame,
Fame, fame, fame, fame,
Fame, fame, fame,
Fame, what's your name?
Reply 6
Original post by thisistheend
Fame makes a man take things over.
Fame lets him loose, hard to swallow.
Fame puts you there where things are hollow. Fame.
Fame, it's not your brain, it's just the flame
That burns your change to keep you insane. Fame.

Fame, what you like is in the limo.
Fame, what you get is no tomorrow.
Fame, what you need you have to borrow. Fame.
Fame, it's mine, it's mine, it's just his line
To bind your time, it drives you to crime. Fame.

Is it any wonder I reject you first?
Fame, fame, fame, fame.
Is it any wonder you are too cool to fool? Fame.
Fame, bully for you, chilly for me,
Got to get a rain check on pain. Fame.

Fame, fame,
Fame, fame,
Fame, fame, fame,
Fame, fame, fame, fame,
Fame, fame, fame, fame,
Fame, fame, fame,
Fame, what's your name?

its not a word but an abbreviation in this case
Reply 7
I swear I didn't make this word up...........
Reply 8
Firstly, stop it already with the STEM threads... We've got a thousand of these because people are incompetent to search for already existing threads!

And fame? Seriously?

Let me guess: You're studying a "fame" subject, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
But surely if more people did STEM and ..ehm FAME topics, there would be an abundance of graduates in these areas and underemployment in these areas would rise, devaluing the degree and decreasing the graduates chances of finding employment?
Well the world doesn't necessarily revolve around STEM subjects. They are important though.

Besides, what's the point in having technology if you haven't got an art to use it for?

It takes less people to manufacture an iPod than it does to make the music that goes onto the iPod.

I'd consider doing an science or technology subject if I could start it from scratch at uni and seeing if it's right for me. But sadly the system doesn't work like that. :frown: Arts subjects tend to be more appealing because you don't need a certain set of A Levels or GCSEs.

Plus I swear everyone is taking Business Management these days. :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Original post by bubadeeboop
But surely if more people did STEM and ..ehm FAME topics, there would be an abundance of graduates in these areas and underemployment in these areas would rise, devaluing the degree and decreasing the graduates chances of finding employment?

the economy would probably be in a better state though
OP, I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you're studying management, seeing as every other subject in those two acronyms requires a degree of analytical thinking, and the methodology behind your sweeping generalisation along with the "x10 harder" bit doesn't really hit the mark.
You does a degree in management...
Original post by alpen
the economy would probably be in a better state though

possibly, but while there is certainly a need for more STEM students at present, an abundance of any subject would produce surplus, this would lead to lower wages, if the wage for these jobs dropped too far, then graduates with better grades would leave the country in search of better paying jobs abroad.
Another STEM thread... This is new.

Guys, let people study whatever they enjoy/whatever career field they want to enter.
Btw have you just made "FAME" up...
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah my college is overrun with hordes of BTEC business students. Seems pretty useless.
"We need STEM grads!". Then why are many science and engineering grads in finance? It's because the jobs on offer in science and tech do not compare. If the government was really desperate, they would subsidise STEM degrees heavily. They don't do that.

The government wants you to flood the STEM industries so that companies can offer rock-bottom wages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending