The Student Room Group

Do you think you can handle a divorce if it happened to you?

I know that TSR's general population are made out of young people, but there are also users here that are already matured or have seen divorces happening around them, so I think this thread could have some good views on the thread title.

Now on to the thread title; do you think you can handle a divorce if it happened to you?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I could handle it emotionally. And financially you just need a good lawyer which I have access to.
Reply 2
Original post by DiddyDec
Yeah, I could handle it emotionally.

I see. But I'm curious, what made you say this?
Yes, because I wouldn't marry in the first place.
Original post by kka25
I see. But I'm curious, what made you say this?

My parents divorced when I was about 5. The divorce process took over a decade to complete. It was one legal battle after another for over 10 years of my life. I went through child services 3 times in that time. It has seriously put me off marriage and it has forever tarnished my childhood to the extant of repressed memories, I don't remember most of my childhood.

So yeah, I have survived worse.
No. I think that would destroy me cos I'm so stupidly pathetically emotional.
Reply 6
My parents divorced when I was about 5. The divorce process took over a decade to complete. It was one legal battle after another for over 10 years of my life. I went through child services 3 times in that time. It has seriously put me off marriage and it has forever tarnished my childhood to the extant of repressed memories, I don't remember most of my childhood.

So yeah, I have survived worse.

Owh, my; sorry to hear that : /
How are you moving on (from the experience) these days - if you don't mind I ask.

Actually, your experience is exactly one of the reasons I'd think really long and hard if I want to marry in future. I've acquaintances who just can't wait to get married, have kids, yadda, yadda, and I've always wondered what's all the fuss about in the first place; they don't see how this sort of thing can just fall apart like a deck of cards.
Original post by Genocidal
Yes, because I wouldn't marry in the first place.

In order to get a divorce, one needs to be married. Therefore you are illogical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kka25
Owh, my; sorry to hear that : /
How are you moving on (from the experience) these days - if you don't mind I ask.

Actually, your experience is exactly one of the reasons I'd think really long and hard if I want to marry in future. I've acquaintances who just can't wait to get married, have kids, yadda, yadda, and I've always wondered what's all the fuss about in the first place; they don't see how this sort of thing can just fall apart like a deck of cards.

Thanks.

You can ask what ever you like, I am completely open about my entire life to anyone that wants to know. There is no point keeping secrets because they can be used against you.

Since the end of the divorce I have been through much worse. But I like to think positively. It is no use dwelling on the past as it won't get you anywhere nor can you change it. I have a good relationship with both of my parents, though there were some rocky times.

Basically you just have to get on with life. Regret is not something that is worth feeling. Learn from your past experiences and move the **** on. Live life to the fullest.
I'm not an emotional person, but I don't think I could. Finding out that the person I presumably loved could no longer stand me and deemed a relationship with me untenable would just send me into a spiral of self-loathing, I would imagine.
Reply 10
Thanks.

You can ask what ever you like, I am completely open about my entire life to anyone that wants to know. There is no point keeping secrets because they can be used against you.

Since the end of the divorce I have been through much worse. But I like to think positively. It is no use dwelling on the past as it won't get you anywhere nor can you change it. I have a good relationship with both of my parents, though there were some rocky times.

Basically you just have to get on with life. Regret is not something that is worth feeling. Learn from your past experiences and move the **** on. Live life to the fullest.

That's very open of you. I can see why you'd say that (apparently, it did come to my mind recently but I haven't processed or given it further thought).

Well, perhaps the reason I asked this is to just see how others would or could cope with such situations. TBH, I've no idea if I could. However if it did happen to me, I'd tell myself that I could move on, since just like you, I'd faced things that are a lot worst so why dwell on it - however, I could still be wrong.

Perhaps you would agree with me that such life experiences have had turned us slightly ,but reasonably pessimistic (or maybe the better word here is realistic) on long-term human relationships?
Reply 11
Original post by + polarity -
I'm not an emotional person, but I don't think I could. Finding out that the person I presumably loved could no longer stand me and deemed a relationship with me untenable would just send me into a spiral of self-loathing, I would imagine.

But polarity, you can snap your fingers and create super powers that's unimaginably brilliant to the human eyes.

Going back on topic; yeah, I can see why you'd say that : /
Well no because I'm unlikely to ever get married.. Why chose to put yourself through that?
Original post by kka25
That's very open of you. I can see why you'd say that (apparently, it did come to my mind recently but I haven't processed or given it further thought).

Well, perhaps the reason I asked this is to just see how others would or could cope with such situations. TBH, I've no idea if I could. However if it did happen to me, I'd tell myself that I could move on, since just like you, I'd faced things that are a lot worst so why dwell on it - however, I could still be wrong.

Perhaps you would agree with me that such life experiences have had turned us slightly ,but reasonably pessimistic (or maybe the better word here is realistic) on long-term human relationships?

I don't actually think divorce would be that bad, compared to other situations I have been involved in.

I agree in essence. I think it has made me more weary of when I should express my true emotions which does make long-term relationships difficult. I can only live in the present, which is apparently quite hard for many people. But yes, I am much more realistic about my life and future.
I think I could because I know a few people(including me) whose parents have gotten divorced. My best friend's parents got divorced and she was upset for ages. She would only speak to me for the first 2 weeks after her parents had gotten divorced. My boyfriend's parents got divorced when he was 16 but he weren't really bothered about it because he didn't like his Dad. When I was 10 my parents got divorced. I think what made it worse was that I was getting bullied at the time and my younger sister was only 3 months old at the time. Out of me and my 2 sisters my older sister understood it more because she was 12 at the time. My life is better now that the man my Mum has been married to for the last 3 years is treating me and my sisters like his own children and I have a little baby step-brother who is 6 months old.
Reply 15
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Well no because I'm unlikely to ever get married.. Why chose to put yourself through that?

Through which part of marriage?

(I mean, please do elaborate)
Reply 16
Some interesting people on this thread.
Original post by kka25
Through which part of marriage?

(I mean, please do elaborate)

The divorce part
Reply 18
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
The divorce part

But you'd never know if you'd get divorce wouldn't you?
Original post by kka25
But polarity, you can snap your fingers and create super powers that's unimaginably brilliant to the human eyes.

Going back on topic; yeah, I can see why you'd say that : /

:gah: I am now ShadowElsa

srsly though if I did get slapped with a divorce, I would want nothing more than to disappear up an inaccessible mountain, a place where I am free :moon:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending