The Student Room Group

Which degree is more useful:

Engineering or Physics? I love maths and physics and I'm taking all the right a-levels (incl. further maths) for either of the two courses, but I prefer physics (astrophysics, particle physics, cosmology) from what I've read around both. However, I know how sought-after engineers are and how the degree opens up doors indefinitely. Is there much difference in career opportunities for engineers and physicists, since they both require practical, logical thinking? The only difference I can discern between the two is that engineering requires a far greater aptitude in practical design.
Take the one you prefer, imo I don't think you should worry about job prospects too much as neither option would be a bad choice in that regard. I know of a few physicists who ended up working in banking/finance, one who's doing a PhD, so I'd conclude that a physics degree would not make you less employable.

At one point I had to choose between engineering and physics too, but I opted for engineering because I love robots :h:

I know how sought-after engineers are

if you have experience, yeah :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest