The Student Room Group

Am I allowed music in my exams to help with concentration?

I have Asperger's and possible ADD, and I also have extremely sensitive hearing, so, for example, a sprinkler outside may distract me during a lesson because that's all I can hear. I'm doing all essay subjects, so the exams are long and I can't focus for that length of time. I'm not talking about having pop music blaring, but could I possibly have some background noise tracks in headphones to assist me? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

This is the kind of thing I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_e2rVF_aUE
Fur elise is my classical music :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I think it's unlikely, as headphones are usually banned from exams (according to the big poster displayed by Ofqual outside all exam rooms), however if you can get a letter from a medical professional, you could try asking for it under access arrangements.

I was allowed to sit my exams in a separate room, and got extra time and rest breaks - I know some students who have had 'helpers' to prompt them when their concentration begins to wane...I don't know if any of those things might be helpful for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Highly doubt it. But ask the invigilators or someone like that...
Probably not. But you can ask for a seperate room, rest breaks and earplugs.
Original post by Edminzodo
I have Asperger's and possible ADD, and I also have extremely sensitive hearing, so, for example, a sprinkler outside may distract me during a lesson because that's all I can hear. I'm doing all essay subjects, so the exams are long and I can't focus for that length of time. I'm not talking about having pop music blaring, but could I possibly have some background noise tracks in headphones to assist me? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

This is the kind of thing I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_e2rVF_aUE

Not a stupid question at all.
You need to talk to your exams officer about access arrangements.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, everyone!
I think you're allowed music without lyrics and headphones if you ask specially and have a need for it.
I'm probably going to say no since it's unfair to the other candidates taking the exam.

You could try take the exam in a private room however.
Original post by RosieEPQ
I think it's unlikely, as headphones are usually banned from exams (according to the big poster displayed by Ofqual outside all exam rooms), however if you can get a letter from a medical professional, you could try asking for it under access arrangements.

I was allowed to sit my exams in a separate room, and got extra time and rest breaks - I know some students who have had 'helpers' to prompt them when their concentration begins to wane...I don't know if any of those things might be helpful for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree.
Its like at my old 6th form, a couple of people who had dyslexia where allowed extra time in the exams.
Probably not. Ask.
By music I mean white noise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest