The Student Room Group

Is Critical Thinking worth doing as an extra AS?

My school has offered critical thinking as an extra AS where you have one lesson a week after school and I wanted to know if this was worthwhile? Apparently, it prepares you for some uni's entrance exams and makes you stand out against other applicants but how true is this?
Thanks for any help!
No because unis don't even consider it. Its just a waste of time tbh. You should rather focus on your REAL subjects. :smile:
Some universities do consider it (even Oxford would accept it), but it's not particularly well-regarded. I personally enjoyed it, but then I did do it in Yr 11 so I didn't have any other AS to focus on.

If the course looks interesting to you, pick it up. The exam doesn't require all that much revision to get a decent grade in, and with one lesson a week it won't detract from your other subjects too much.
Reply 3
Do it if you particularly want to but it probably won't be that useful, unless you know the course you want to do takes it into consideration.
My college forced me to take it, I think to make you stand out from other applicants. It is quite difficult if you're just doing science subjects and not english. However, I didn't work or revise for it at all and ended up with a C, i was satisfied with that. But I'm sure if you focus time on it you would get a higher grade.
So I would say yes, some uni's do look at it, and some things you learn are quite useful. It teaches you to think in a different way which certainly helped with my politics studies.

:smile:
No it's not worth it - most universities (especially Russell Group ones) don't accept Critical Thinking anyway! Just concentrate on getting great grades in your other subjects - THAT'S what will make you stand out from the crowd :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lifescomplexity
No it's not worth it - most universities (especially Russell Group ones) don't accept Critical Thinking anyway! Just concentrate on getting great grades in your other subjects - THAT'S what will make you stand out from the crowd :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know unis often say 'excluding critical thinking' but does that include when you're just doing it as an extra thing aswell as your real subjects?
Original post by phoebecushion
I know unis often say 'excluding critical thinking' but does that include when you're just doing it as an extra thing aswell as your real subjects?

Yeah it does - when they say 'excluding Critical Thinking' they mean that they just don't recognise it as an A Level, whether you've done it as a twilight or not. When you come to apply to university they'll just ignore the fact that you've done it - just as, for example, Cambridge doesn't accept some A Levels (eg Law). I just don't think it's with your while doing it tbh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No don't do it.
I feel like its kind of a waste of time. The only thing that it could help you in is for a UKCAT test or admission test to university. But a lot of people don't have to do these admissions tests, only medics/oxbridge type. Even if you do choose to take it, I would recommend you do barely any work for it, it only takes a couple of days preparation
Ive heard its nearly as bad as general studies.
I wouldnt bother if i where you.
Most won't accept it as one of the subjects in the offer but it still looks really good especially if you're applying to Oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellipsis...
Most won't accept it as one of the subjects in the offer but it still looks really good especially if you're applying to Oxbridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would disagree - Oxbridge don't accept it! And it's often associated with private schools just trying to get their pupils to have as many A Levels as possible by 'cheating' (if we take the view that Critical Thinking and General Studies aren't 'real' A Levels). Not saying that this is the OP's situation but in any case it seems pointless to take an extra subject when it won't even be recognised by most universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope... I wouldn't advise you to do it.
Original post by lifescomplexity
Yeah it does - when they say 'excluding Critical Thinking' they mean that they just don't recognise it as an A Level, whether you've done it as a twilight or not. When you come to apply to university they'll just ignore the fact that you've done it - just as, for example, Cambridge doesn't accept some A Levels (eg Law). I just don't think it's with your while doing it tbh :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you!:smile:
Original post by ellipsis...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's what my school said, it's note like it's one of my three main ones
Yeah that's what my school said, it's note like it's one of my three main ones

I did it in addition to my 4 first year subjects. It doesn't take up much time, but on the other hand I can't really see that it adds much to your application. Tbh if I was picking my A-levels again I wouldn't bother with it.
Okay thank you!:smile:

You're welcome :biggrin: I hope your A Levels go well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest