The Student Room Group

I just don't know

I'm writing this after 3 hours of crying my eyes out. I'm so lost and I have no idea what to do.

Basically, I've always been very academically driven, loved school, the idea of it was brilliant. Until my first GCSE maths exam in year ten. I felt good about it but my result came back as an F. This continued to year eleven after several resits and with the same F year after year.
That same year, my mother developed leukemia which meant added stress on me and my family.

I reached sixth form and I'm studying Creative Media Diploma and an Extended AS project and I'm so good at it. i get top marks in everything I hand in. I took an exam to retake my maths in year 12 and came back with the same results as I always get.

I'm now two weeks into year 13 with my next maths exam in June 2015 and I'm so scared. We're starting personal statements and ucas forms and I just keep comparing myself to others. "They have a C in maths"
"She's applying to do medicine."

I have no clue what to do. I might have a feeling that I have numerical dyslexia but I have no idea how to prove it and if I told anyone I had it I feel like they'd laugh at me right in my face.

Every time I walk into my sixth form my heart gets a little heavier everyday just knowing that I might not amount to anything. My self esteem is as low as it can be right now and I can't remember a day when I haven't cried.

I don't know if anyone even has an answer, let alone will reply, but this is just spontaneous and I feel like I should do this.

Thank you for reading this
Doesnt your school have student learning support? Also, with maths, you should try to get a lot of help from different people even if you think you know the topic as they might help you figure out a new way of doing things. Have you consider ed getting tutored for gcse maths? You could improve your grade significantly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
First of all, calm down. Stress won't contribute to your success.
It's a great idea to share your problem with other's. Not everyone could be good in maths. Otherwise, A lost it's meaning.
Try to emphasize on things, which makes you not to cry, but feel great. Making new contacts serve me like a rescue program, if I'am depressed.
By no means, you must struggle and study maths. Maybe, way of learning doesn't suits you.
Don't give up it!
Reply 3
Original post by Ruqi_Cookie
Doesnt your school have student learning support? Also, with maths, you should try to get a lot of help from different people even if you think you know the topic as they might help you figure out a new way of doing things. Have you consider ed getting tutored for gcse maths? You could improve your grade significantly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes they have learning support but it's mainly aimed for people with learning difficulties, and plus I wouldn't even know what to say to them. "Hi can you help me, I can't get a C in maths because I might have numerical dyslexia, but there's no way of proving that I have it, any ideas?" It just makes me upset thinking about it.

and yeah I'm looking into getting a tutor but I keep putting it on because I'm ashamed. I'm in year thirteen and I haven't passed maths :frown: sorry
It's okay, because I know some of my friends did gcse maths last year in year 12, one is still retaking it this year in year 13. My college has recently put loads of emphasis on gcse maths but also given the option to do functional skills maths as level 2 fs maths is equivalent to a gcse maths grade. So maybe look into that??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by burano
First of all, calm down. Stress won't contribute to your success.
It's a great idea to share your problem with other's. Not everyone could be good in maths. Otherwise, A lost it's meaning.
Try to emphasize on things, which makes you not to cry, but feel great. Making new contacts serve me like a rescue program, if I'am depressed.
By no means, you must struggle and study maths. Maybe, way of learning doesn't suits you.
Don't give up it!

I'm trying to be calm, I love media and everything news but there's nothing for me other than my course to get into and I'm afraid they'd reject me because of my maths.
I know I'll need to study and everything but I'm scared ill fail again and then what?
Reply 6
Original post by Ruqi_Cookie
It's okay, because I know some of my friends did gcse maths last year in year 12, one is still retaking it this year in year 13. My college has recently put loads of emphasis on gcse maths but also given the option to do functional skills maths as level 2 fs maths is equivalent to a gcse maths grade. So maybe look into that??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't know how to get into that, I can't go from my college to my sixth form between things but it might be too late to enter it :/
Reply 7
Original post by worrycentral
I'm trying to be calm, I love media and everything news but there's nothing for me other than my course to get into and I'm afraid they'd reject me because of my maths.
I know I'll need to study and everything but I'm scared ill fail again and then what?

Then be wise. Life doesn't end with exams failure. You need to be ready for it.
Still, you have to do your best.
Have thought about getting a tutor for maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi Worrycentral,
You say you do really well with everything you hand in, then you say that you keep failing in the maths exam. A few questions here for you to consider?
Is it the maths, or is it exam situations, for starters?
Then, think about these:
What is your memory like?
What is your spelling like?
How good are you with Left and Right?
Do you find mental arithmetic difficult?
Did it take you longer than others to learn your times tables?
How well organized are you?
Take a look at my profile and PM me if you want to discuss further ...
There's this CGP GCSE maths DVD rom you can get, you pick on the start up menu whether you're doing foundation or higher and which exam board. It goes through each topic you need to know and there's a teacher that explains it and it's helped me loads as I'm quite shy about admitting when I don't understand. If you get the full pack there's a workbook to go with it and a book of exam questions which is especially good as the teacher goes through the questions with you and explains how to do it :smile: so maybe have a look at that if you're worried about tutoring

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest