The Student Room Group

Component forces

I need some help with the following question:

A car of weight 6100N is at rest on a hill of gradient 9 degrees. Calculate the component of the weight alone the slope.

Can someone possibly draw a diagram or a link a video. I understand the whole Fcos theta, Fsin theta bit. But am having troubles identifying which one to use. :redface:
Original post by Super199
I need some help with the following question:

A car of weight 6100N is at rest on a hill of gradient 9 degrees. Calculate the component of the weight alone the slope.

Can someone possibly draw a diagram or a link a video. I understand the whole Fcos theta, Fsin theta bit. But am having troubles identifying which one to use. :redface:

Does this help?

Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
Does this help?

Wow that is amazing!! How did you know the other angle is 9 degrees as well? I can't seem to see how.
Original post by Super199
Wow that is amazing!! How did you know the other angle is 9 degrees as well? I can't seem to see how.

180 degrees in a triangle. In the triangle on the left, the angle on the left is 9 degrees, the angle in the bottom right is a right angle so the angle in the top right is 90-9 degrees. The dotted line forms a right angle with the solid black line, so the green angle is 90-(90-9) = 9 degrees.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
180 degrees in a triangle. In the triangle on the left, the angle on the left is 9 degrees, the angle in the bottom right is a right angle so the angle in the top right is 90-9 degrees. The dotted line forms a right angle with the solid black line, so the green angle is 90-(90-9) = 9 degrees.

Oh I see. Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest