The Student Room Group

HMRC Graduate Programme (Tax Professional) 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ToniLaidler
the numerical test starts off quite nice then gets really tricky, about to do the online verbal test :/

Numerical test was the last one I did - it was a nightmare at the end I agree, how do you think you did? I ran out of time with 1 question to spare but guessed around 6 of my answers. Confident of at least 13 right though
If there anyone who is on the scheme at the moment looking at this thread, could you give us an idea of what you are doing day to day?
Original post by Alarae
My degree is Law, so numbers at all! The most relevant knowledge I have is from studying revenue law in my last year but this only gives me the law side of it.

I've been revising my maths skills for these tests! I'm fine with verbal Reasoning.

Thanks, I am revising mine too :smile: Verbal is fine too but dreading the numerical since people are saying it gets really tricky! Asked my sister who currently works for HMRC (but not graduate programme) and she said it was trickier than she had thought it would be!
Original post by accountant-future
Numerical test was the last one I did - it was a nightmare at the end I agree, how do you think you did? I ran out of time with 1 question to spare but guessed around 6 of my answers. Confident of at least 13 right though

Yeah sounds a lot like mine, I couldn't tell you how many I got right hoping over half anyway, I just know I had to guess a few and on the last question I selected an answer but ran out of time before I pressed the finish button so, not sure if that would show as being answered or not, hopefully it's enough to get me through to the next stage :s-smilie:
Verbal reasoning is tricky, they've set a high pass mark to proceed on the next stage of recruitment process.
Original post by Amy3561
Hello, just applied to this graduate scheme and completed the online tests, fingers crossed for that maths one!

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight into the pay, on the website it says that the Pay minimum is £27,095 and the maximum is £39,946, does this mean that our pay will increase each year?

Sorry if a silly question :smile:

Certainly, you will gain experience from the four year programme as well as the salary increases yearly.
Reply 106
Hey guys, I have applied for this programme as well, i have to complete the 4 tests Verbal, numerical, situational and questions. I am dreading it, as I am quite ****ty at these things.

I got 2:2 as well, annoyingly was given a 2:2 even though i was 2 marks away from a 2:1, this really cheesed me off. Anyways, I am now practicing for the tests. Any pointers? Anybody?
Original post by gtc1508
If there anyone who is on the scheme at the moment looking at this thread, could you give us an idea of what you are doing day to day?

I'm not on the TSP.

What TSP-ers do on a week to week basis generally follows something like this (depending on what business unit they are assigned to).
1 Tutorial day
10 hours study time
3 days working on case related stuff which will ramp up in complexity as you progress.
just finished round 1. how soon can I find out my percentile for the maths/verbal/work-style tests? I can see my "result" for the SIFT but not the rest yet and I am rather impatient. Roll on December, good luck to all x
Finishing the tests off later today. Hopefully it goes well :confused:
Original post by allycat84
just finished round 1. how soon can I find out my percentile for the maths/verbal/work-style tests? I can see my "result" for the SIFT but not the rest yet and I am rather impatient. Roll on December, good luck to all x

They don't show us our scores for the numerical/verbal/work-style at all unfortunately.
Seems to be some confusion as to whether you had to "pass" the numeracy test to move on to the literacy test, and then the workplace one - or whether you get invited to all three regardless. The application status did say "Congratulations" after each stage, so presumably we can't have done too badly if we got asked to do all three.

Useful to discover on here that we all now have to wait until December - will save me checking my application status every few hours!
Original post by anisa-101
Silly question. Can you apply to this if you graduated 2 years ago?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hope so - I graduated 19 years ago!
Original post by ianelden
Seems to be some confusion as to whether you had to "pass" the numeracy test to move on to the literacy test, and then the workplace one - or whether you get invited to all three regardless. The application status did say "Congratulations" after each stage, so presumably we can't have done too badly if we got asked to do all three.

Useful to discover on here that we all now have to wait until December - will save me checking my application status every few hours!

Think it's all 3 tests at once, so it'll say congratulations regardless how well you did in the previous tests - sadly it won't notify you if you failed until December I reckon

It's nice of them to say everyone will be notified at the same time though, saves a lot of checking like you say :cool:
Has anyone heard of anyone being rejected at the SIFT test stage? i did appallingly in it but was still invited to the numerical test. I remember someone saying that you needed to do better than around 40 - 50% better than other people that have taken the test to progress, where as i did a fair be worse than that so I'm convinced that the invite was a mistake
Original post by james_OPT
Has anyone heard of anyone being rejected at the SIFT test stage? i did appallingly in it but was still invited to the numerical test. I remember someone saying that you needed to do better than around 40 - 50% better than other people that have taken the test to progress, where as i did a fair be worse than that so I'm convinced that the invite was a mistake

Like I previously said, I think as soon as you pass stage one and get invited to do the tests, you are invited to do them all. I know it says 'congratulations' which can be confusing - but I think you are automatically invited to all of the tests irrespective of the scores in the last one
Going to start applying for this, it says deadline is 26th November midnight, not sure if that means on the start or end of Wednesday, but going to get it done by tomorrow night to be safe.
Reply 117
Original post by eugenius 8
Going to start applying for this, it says deadline is 26th November midnight, not sure if that means on the start or end of Wednesday, but going to get it done by tomorrow night to be safe.

Hi Eugenius, pretty certain it means the start of Wednesday :smile:
I've got to complete the tests yet. By the sounds of things the numerical one is going to be tough!

Good luck :smile:
Well I'm angry.

I got asked to do the Numeracy test and Verbal test.

Was not asked to do the Civil Service Initial Sift. This is a technical error.

I had just been asked to do the Work Styles Questionnaire when their system goes haywire. My end is fine, no internet problems. I have to close everything down and try again - just to be told that they assume I don't want to continue, and it automatically fails me!

I don't know what my score is, but their system has failed on 2/4 of the tests!

(sent an email - bit worried as it's so close to the deadline, so may not be seen in time)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by lightburns
Well I'm angry.

I got asked to do the Numeracy test and Verbal test.

Was not asked to do the Civil Service Initial Sift. This is a technical error.

I had just been asked to do the Work Styles Questionnaire when their system goes haywire. My end is fine, no internet problems. I have to close everything down and try again - just to be told that they assume I don't want to continue, and it automatically fails me!

I don't know what my score is, but their system has failed on 2/4 of the tests!

Have you sent the resourcing team an email? They may be able to sort something out for you.

I've had an issue with the system too :frown: I can't seem to answer any of the example questions before the SJT. It just has no way for me to select an answer before proceeding and I imagine it'd be the same if I were to continue onto the real test. Tried on Mac and Windows, but had no luck so far.

Hope things work out for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending