The Student Room Group

Chemical Engineers - current students thread

Hello fellow students :wink:

Why make a thread?
I am just beginning my first year of Chemical Engineering at Strathclyde, and already work in the oil, gas, and chemicals industries. Hopefully I can offer some advice to fellow students and learn a bit myself.

I am going to add some useful links to this thread, which will come in handy later on. Things like property data, lectures I have found, spreadsheets, etc.

Hopefully we can get some good discussion going and help each other with concepts and problems.

Useful links/resources

Spoiler

FAQ

Spoiler

Chartership/membership (IChemE

Spoiler

:wavey:

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reserved...
Nice thread brother; how did you end up working in O&G before you started this degree? :beard:
Original post by + polarity -
Nice thread brother; how did you end up working in O&G before you started this degree? :beard:

Thanks bro.

I did an apprenticeship and ended up in a lab where I work full-time. The experience helped me transfer to Strathclyde from my NatSci degree. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Checking In Saaaaan! :pierre:
Original post by a10
Checking In Saaaaan! :pierre:

What's up! Already outnumbered with MechEngs.

I don't even...
Reply 6
Original post by addylad
What's up! Already outnumbered with MechEngs.

I don't even...

I'm good ty, how are you doing? :hello:

Hahaha can't beat the hungry mechs :wink: :smug:
Reply 7
:beard:

open sans doe!
4th Chemical Engineering student checking in.
Original post by a10
open sans doe!

:cyber: typing up the last section now
I'm applying for Chemical Engineering this week, so I'll just slide into this thread and post as if I were a chemical engineer :colone:.
What universities do you people go to and with what grades did you apply with?
Reply 11
Original post by Ade9000

Have you heard of Yemi Alade?

:cyber: typing up the last section now

Good lad!
Original post by a10
Have you heard of Yemi Alade?

No. Why you ask?
Reply 13
Original post by Ade9000
No. Why you ask?

Ahh lol

Ohh because from your name I figured you were nigerian or at least I'm guessing you are...
Original post by a10
Ahh lol

Ohh because from your name I figured you were nigerian or at least I'm guessing you are...

Haha I am indeed Nigerian, through heritage.
Reply 15
Original post by Ade9000
Haha I am indeed Nigerian, through heritage.

Nice!! My former flatmate was nigerian was a funny guy :biggrin:
That's a brilliant idea (:
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
I'm applying for Chemical Engineering this week, so I'll just slide into this thread and post as if I were a chemical engineer :colone:.

I start at Imperial in October. I applied to Bath, Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester and Newcastle. Where are you thinking of applying to?
Just repped everyone I can. Welcome. :smile:

Original post by a10
I'm good ty, how are you doing? :hello:

Hahaha can't beat the hungry mechs :wink: :smug:

Good man. Just been looking at my first problem sets. Some stuff makes sense and looks easy, but the second problem I looked at just confused the hell out of me. :redface:

I was going to troll you with the whole 'MechEngs are car mechanics' thing, but in the interests of good relations between the disciplines, I won't. :tongue:

Original post by Ade9000

Long time no speak! Anything you'd like added to the OP? I might update the wiki too, now I am actually a - wait for it - chemical engineer.

Original post by The Clockwork Apple

Good luck! I 'go to' Strathclyde but only for exams; it's mostly via distance learning. I had high 2:1s in a NatSci degree, which I was halfway through, plus an apprenticeship and industrial experience.

Original post by x-Sophie-x
That's a brilliant idea (:

Thank you! Did you have your maths diagnostic test thingy?
Original post by addylad
Just repped everyone I can. Welcome. :smile:

Good man. Just been looking at my first problem sets. Some stuff makes sense and looks easy, but the second problem I looked at just confused the hell out of me. :redface:

I was going to troll you with the whole 'MechEngs are car mechanics' thing, but in the interests of good relations between the disciplines, I won't. :tongue:

Long time no speak! Anything you'd like added to the OP? I might update the wiki too, now I am actually a - wait for it - chemical engineer.

Good luck! I 'go to' Strathclyde but only for exams; it's mostly via distance learning. I had high 2:1s in a NatSci degree, which I was halfway through, plus an apprenticeship and industrial experience.

Thank you! Did you have your maths diagnostic test thingy?

Indeed I did. It was absolutely fine, just basic A-level maths!

Quick Reply

Latest