The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You can't pin a date on it because you never know what is going to happen. I would say long time in the future.
Personally I'd like to be married by 30.. but if it doesnt happen then it doesnt happen! If I was happy then before or after would suit too! lol
Reply 22
22-24
um...maybe 30ish as preference....but i dont know when, it will happen when and it happens
Reply 24
Mid to late 20s sounds about right. Can't see it happening though.
A gypsy lady this summer told me im going to get married at 26 ...
im going to find that biatch if im single on my 26th birthday :p:
General Mullet
For me never, I hate the whole concept of marriage.

Couldn't agree more, i mean it's a human tradition which essentially means nothing. What's marriage, a super relationship?. If u want to be with someone, then u could happily do that but why does putting a name to it make it any different. If u love and cherish someone then fine stick with them until u both feel the same way, but often in unhappy marriages, the singular thought of not geeting DIVORCED keeps the unwilling and unhappy partners together.

I know my views r gonna provoke a lot of debate, and emotional responses, but these r my views
Reply 27
I'm almost 18 and I've been engaged for almost a year. I have no idea when we'll get married, but I know I want to spend the rest of my life with him, and he feels the same about me. Marriage isn't the highest on my priorities list right now, I don't think I'll feel any different being wife rather than fiancee, but at some point I want to dress up and feel special for a day :wink: That's pretty much what marriage means to me as an atheist, it's just a day to celebrate what you have with someone and show everyone else how you feel.
Reply 28
General Mullet
For me never, I hate the whole concept of marriage.

Exactly what I was going to post. :smile:
Obviously when the tome is right for both indivs. Myself, I always though I would get married about 30ish. Now I think (if right girl blah blah) I will get married 25ish.
Reply 30
My ideal time for marriage is next year and I will be 23.

It's a bit of a tricky question, as everyone has different views on marriage, and at the end of the day it's going to be down the the individual couple when they feel ready to be married.
Reply 31
Never :smile:
i thnk it depends on the people some ppl wouldnt mind marriage young and other prefer to wait. whenever the right person comes along i think u know
When both people in a relationship who love each other (based on their personality, the way they are, the way they think, what they do etc., not lust- having a strong sexual desire for each other. If a relationship begins as a result of lust and then love for the person comes after, the relationship is never going to work.
So the man and woman have to be in love. They have to be settled. Settled as in finished their education, living in a steady home (as in not a person that keeps moving house) and know what they want to achieve and where they are going in life. These are the signs of being an adult and hence the two people can get married.
People who have a relationship based on sex or that came about because of lust, are obviously not mature enough to get married as this is the rash, excited, uncontrolled behaviour of teenagers not adults.
So the man and woman have to be mature, understand one another, like each other for who they are and know exactly what they are doing and where they are going in life (in other words oriented).
Well, call me selfish and cynical, but when you don't have to rely on anyone, including your husband/wife to live. I'd like to have a good career, a bit of money saved up and know what I want from life. I'm not that confident in marraige and always plan on having a plan B in life if A fails, no matter how much I'm in love with someone, or how much I trust them. (Sounds like I've never been in love and don't know what I'm talking about - not true, I'm just a wary person). I'm not saying this in a selfish way, but always think about yourself in a "what if" kind of way.....
Reply 35
When both of you are confident with your relationship and see yourselves together for many years to come....I think.
I'd get married in my late 20s-Early 30s or if I wanted a child
Anonymous
Couldn't agree more, i mean it's a human tradition which essentially means nothing. What's marriage, a super relationship?. If u want to be with someone, then u could happily do that but why does putting a name to it make it any different. If u love and cherish someone then fine stick with them until u both feel the same way, but often in unhappy marriages, the singular thought of not geeting DIVORCED keeps the unwilling and unhappy partners together.

I know my views r gonna provoke a lot of debate, and emotional responses, but these r my views

Why does getting married make it any difference? Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you're in a relationship with someone and you honestly believe you're going to stay together for the rest of your lives. Either you don't want children, or you do but don't believe it makes any difference whether their parents are married or not. You're an atheist, and so don't have any moral or religious reasons for wanting to get legally married. You don't even want a party. So why get married?

Well, even if all the above reasons apply, even if there are no other reasons on earth why you would ever want to marry, think of the legal benefits. Couples who are married are able to give each other a lot more financial security, particularly if one of them dies. If your partner dies and you're not married, their life assurance and dependant's pension benefits will not go to you. They may go to any children you might have together, but the children will probably not be able to access any lump sum payment until they are either 18 or 21, so while they are still growing up, they might need that money and not be able to get to it. I work in pensions admin at the moment and there's one woman who has been with her partner for 32 years and keeps writing to us to ask whether her death benefits will be granted to her partner, even though he's not her legal spouse. All we can say to her is that it will be at the trustees' discretion, and that there are no guarantees. The only way she can safeguard this man's financial future in the event of her death is by marrying him, and if for whatever reason she doesn't want to, that's her problem. I've seen countless cases of people getting married in hospital, hours before they die of some fatal illness, so that their partner will get that vital extra income. Even gay couples who undertake a civil partnership get more security now than unmarried straight couples.

Also, I think that whatever people might say, being legally married does make couples less likely to split up when things don't go according to plan. Yes, the divorce statistics are pretty bad, but nobody knows how many unmarried couples split up for the same reasons. I bet it's a lot more. Because if you're not married to someone, there is nothing to stop you just walking away. If you're legally tied to someone, you're more likely to try and work things out.

Furthermore, getting married in the first place demands careful consideration about where the relationship is going and whether both people are prepared to make that emotional and legal commitment. You can just end up in a long term relationship with someone without ever really discussing that, simply because you don't split up. But getting married is an active, rather than a passive commitment, which means that the couple need to think and talk about what they want, and whether they both have the same life plan.

These are reasons which apply to anybody, and any relationship. I'm a Christian, and a romantic, and I believe in the idea of marriage anyway, even for non-religious reasons. Also I want a big wedding! :biggrin: But take all that away, and there are still many benefits of marriage.
Apricot Fairy

Well, even if all the above reasons apply, even if there are no other reasons on earth why you would ever want to marry, think of the legal benefits. Couples who are married are able to give each other a lot more financial security, particularly if one of them dies. If your partner dies and you're not married, their life assurance and dependant's pension benefits will not go to you. They may go to any children you might have together, but the children will probably not be able to access any lump sum payment until they are either 18 or 21, so while they are still growing up, they might need that money and not be able to get to it. I work in pensions admin at the moment and there's one woman who has been with her partner for 32 years and keeps writing to us to ask whether her death benefits will be granted to her partner, even though he's not her legal spouse. All we can say to her is that it will be at the trustees' discretion, and that there are no guarantees. The only way she can safeguard this man's financial future in the event of her death is by marrying him, and if for whatever reason she doesn't want to, that's her problem. I've seen countless cases of people getting married in hospital, hours before they die of some fatal illness, so that their partner will get that vital extra income. Even gay couples who undertake a civil partnership get more security now than unmarried straight couples..

See that's why there is a thing called a will so u can leave ure money to the person u want. Admittedly todays laws aren't conducive to non-married ppl in long term relationships, but that isn't a reason to marry. These laws just need to change

Apricot Fairy
Also, I think that whatever people might say, being legally married does make couples less likely to split up when things don't go according to plan. Yes, the divorce statistics are pretty bad, but nobody knows how many unmarried couples split up for the same reasons. I bet it's a lot more. Because if you're not married to someone, there is nothing to stop you just walking away. If you're legally tied to someone, you're more likely to try and work things out.

Relationships are based on love, trust and etc and if that doesn't exist there is no point staying in a relationship. "Because if you're not married to someone, there is nothing to stop you just walking away". Why would anyone sane just walk out of a relationship with a person they love just because they aren't married. And if the marriage isn't a happy one and the partners don't love each other anymore, then it's much better to get out of that relationship and find ure happiness elsewhere rather then hoping things will get better for the sake of the marriage. I know plenty of ppl in long-term relationships and no they don't walk out everytime they have a squabble or differences. Isn't that the whole point of love, to not let anything else come between u and the person u love

Apricot Fairy
Furthermore, getting married in the first place demands careful consideration about where the relationship is going and whether both people are prepared to make that emotional and legal commitment. You can just end up in a long term relationship with someone without ever really discussing that, simply because you don't split up. But getting married is an active, rather than a passive commitment, which means that the couple need to think and talk about what they want, and whether they both have the same life plan.

Really don't agree with that. Eventually all couples come to a point where they talk about their future. I mean a simple relationship can't just go on forever without the ppl in the relationship considering where their relationship is headed. If ppl in normal relationships decide that they love their partners and maybe want to have kids, then (in you opidinion they decide to marry. Well, when a couple do realize that they wanna stick to the other person forever and might wanna have kids then why don't they make it clear to the partner instead of just naming their relationship a marriage. U can't really predict how ure gonna fell in the future can u, so why not just avoid the stigma that comes with that dreaded word, Divorce
I have been with my boyfriend for two years and I know I want to marry him. I don't want to have a long engagement though and I don't think I'd like to be thinking about marriage until I was financially secure, so at least a few years after graduating. I'd probably be about 25ish and that seems like a good age to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending