The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Comparing 3 maths and physics related courses

Hi,I am planning to apply for a physics course in Edinburgh.
I am interested in 3 courses:
mathematical physics
maths and physics
theoretical physics
I have had a brief look on the course content.Imo they all appeared to be the same.Personally I hate experiments and what excites me the most is the application of mathematics into the physical field
I would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me some advice on my choice.
Original post by davon806
Hi,I am planning to apply for a physics course in Edinburgh.
I am interested in 3 courses:
mathematical physics
maths and physics
theoretical physics
I have had a brief look on the course content.Imo they all appeared to be the same.Personally I hate experiments and what excites me the most is the application of mathematics into the physical field
I would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me some advice on my choice.

Maths and Physics will contain a fair amount of pure maths. You will cover the core of Maths and the core of Physics. This would involve more practical work than the other two choices.

Mathematical physics and Theoretical physics seem to be the best two options for you. TP has a lot more options. You don't have to do certain mathematical modules, whereas for MP you have to. For example, you don't have to do modules on the introduction to linear algebra nor Calculus and its Applications; with MP you have to. If you do TP, you CAN still do these modules, but you just have fewer options.

You're really just doing it for the title. TP is much more well known, but MP does sound cool. If you did TP and did all the same modules as MP (which it looks like you can do), then you'd need only show your transcript to postgraduate people, or employers.

If I'm honest, I really don't know which one you should choose...I err towards TP, as you can do the same as MP, but the name in and of itself is better known. This doesn't make it more respected, per se, but at least more recognisable. On the other hand, MP sounds cool. :P
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Thx.I would probably choose TP or MP.
I wonder if someone who is studying these courses currently could give some comments on them.
e.g.work load,difficulties of exams...

Quick Reply

Latest