The Student Room Group

My parents won't buy the prom dress that I want? Can someone help, please?

Okay, my school is having a Christmas dance on the 12th December (it's basically the equivalent of prom), and I found the most amazing dress for it. But when I told my parents, they said they wouldn't buy it for me, even though I promised them that I can pay them back when I get my first part-time job in my first year at uni, and it can be my only Christmas present this year, but they wouldn't listen to me. My mum is insisting on making my dress, but I really don't think that she can do it, and quite frankly, no other dress will be as good as the one I found in the dress shop yesterday, so even if she does manage to make a good dress, I still won't be happy with it because it won't be the dress that I want. I know it sounds like a stupid thing to get upset over, but this is kind of a big deal to me, because my parents have been quite horrible to me these past few years (my mum verbally abused me two years ago and my dad threatened to disown me in May because I'm agnostic), so this dance was going to be the one night when I could forget about everything my parents have ever said or done to me that has upset me, but now they won't even let me have that because they won't get me the dress that I want. I'm thinking of getting my aunt involved, but I don't know if that would stir things up even more, because my parents are calmer today than they were yesterday, when I mentioned it to them, but I also feel that if I don't tell someone else from my family, I might not get a dress for this dance at all. What should I do?
Oh stop being so dramatic, it's just a dress. It won't make any different to your night and definitely not your life. Whatever dress you wear you'll look back in a few years and think it was hideous anyway. There will be many more opportunities in your life to wear your 'dream dress' when you're able to pay for it.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
Oh stop being so dramatic, it's just a dress. It won't make any different to your night and definitely not your life. Whatever dress you wear you'll look back in a few years and think it was hideous anyway. There will be many more opportunities in your life to wear your 'dream dress' when you're able to pay for it.

I just don't see why everyone else can have the dress that they want and I can't, that's all.
Reply 3
When you ask make the face from your profile picture
Original post by Converse&Roses
I just don't see why everyone else can have the dress that they want and I can't, that's all.

Because their parents are prepared to pay for it. That's why.

In so many of your classmates homes they are also being told no to their dream dress

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5

Ah, yes, the "All my friends have it/are doing it" argument. Parents love that one.
Okay, my school is having a Christmas dance on the 12th December (it's basically the equivalent of prom), and I found the most amazing dress for it. But when I told my parents, they said they wouldn't buy it for me, even though I promised them that I can pay them back when I get my first part-time job in my first year at uni, and it can be my only Christmas present this year, but they wouldn't listen to me. My mum is insisting on making my dress, but I really don't think that she can do it, and quite frankly, no other dress will be as good as the one I found in the dress shop yesterday, so even if she does manage to make a good dress, I still won't be happy with it because it won't be the dress that I want. I know it sounds like a stupid thing to get upset over, but this is kind of a big deal to me, because my parents have been quite horrible to me these past few years (my mum verbally abused me two years ago and my dad threatened to disown me in May because I'm agnostic), so this dance was going to be the one night when I could forget about everything my parents have ever said or done to me that has upset me, but now they won't even let me have that because they won't get me the dress that I want. I'm thinking of getting my aunt involved, but I don't know if that would stir things up even more, because my parents are calmer today than they were yesterday, when I mentioned it to them, but I also feel that if I don't tell someone else from my family, I might not get a dress for this dance at all. What should I do?

The bit in bold is basically what it does sound like. Your parents have told you no and that means no. Dragging up what they've said in the past as emotional blackmail, getting other members of your family involved, and using the 'my friends are all getting new dresses' argument will just antagonise the situation. I think that your mum has been rather kind in offering to make your dress and rather than show her the design of the dress which you really like and seeing if she can make something similar, you've thrown the offer back in her face. My advice, welcome to the real world, stop acting like a spoilt brat and work with your parents to achieve an outcome which you're both happy with (i.e. make amends with your mum, ask her if her offer to make a dress is still open and then show her the design of the dress which you want and ask if she could make something similar). Adult life is all about give and take and living within your means. Your parents' attitude to the situation may seem like tough love or even cruel, but trust me, you'll thank them for it later on in life.
Reply 7
Boo ****ing hoo.

If you wanted it you should have gotten a job earlier and payed for it yourself. There are more important things in life than what you wear for prom (which everyone will completely forget three days later).
I'm assuming this dress is ridiculously expensive and they either can't or won't pay for it. In which case you're going to have to just deal with it. You are making a massive deal over nothing though, a dress isn't going to suddenly make your home life any better or magically make the sky **** kittens.
(edited 9 years ago)
How much is it? My WEDDING dress (brand new, made to measure) was only £99, and my sixth-form prom dress was a second hand, but albeit very pretty, black dress that cost my mother about £30...

so I really have no sympathy chuck

You can buy a very lovely dress that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Or you can take your mother up on her loving thoughtful gesture of making you a dress.
Some of the other posters are being a little harsh. We've all been 15/16 at one point. I get you, don't worry. But really, it's not the end of the world. It might suck now, but you'll forget all about this dance and make new memories soon. Just try to enjoy the dance and have fun!

So..... how much is this dress exactly? Is it expensive hence why your mum is making you a dress instead? Maybe your parents don't have much money, try to see it from their side. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't say no for no reason just to be evil. Your mother might be trying to make you a dress instead as she cant afford what you want and obviously is trying her best. Who knows..

Just have fun, make the most of the dress your mum is making you. Try and give input so she can make it in the style you want & get nice accessories (shoes, bag, earrings etc).
Enlighten us, how much does this dress cost?
Either acquire your own money and buy it, or you keep dreaming.
Or just do what I did and don't go -_-

At the end of the day, you're not going to know these people for that much longer(except for a select few) so there is not a real need to impress them at all lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending