The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

physics & astrophysics 2016 applicants

I will be applying for MPhys Physics w/ Astronomy for year beginning 2016 and basically wondered how many girls averagely actually take such a course as currently in my A level physics class there is just myself as the only girl in there with about 16 lads, and with there being only one physics class this year I am definitely at a minority.
Whether it was just me or another 100 girls took the course it wouldn't put me off the course, however I'd rather know what I was getting myself into going into a primarily "male" course.
There is a larger proportion of males, however the ratios are gradually changing as more girls take the subject. I'm just going into my third year and in my year I'd say there was about 65:35, male:female, however in some modules (where there are more NatSci students) there are more girls than that. It's never been an issue though - people are very nice here! Literally wherever you go though there will be more guys but as society changes that will too!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I have applied for BSci Physics and currently at the end of my diploma course in Aerospace Engineering and Physics (which is a VERY male dominated course in my country: ratio of 10:1. I'm always the only girl in everything.). As I'm not local, I can't speak for every girl in such courses in the UK but I can assure you it is not off-putting, even on my case (yeah sometimes it's ****ty af). Just follow through on what you wanna do and don't let things like this throw you off course. I'm sure you'll be fine :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
I think I saw Female to Male Ratio being 1:4 for Physics at Durham. There were above 100 girls, so it isn't as bad as your Physics class. I applied for Physics (MPhys) for 2015 entry. Atmosphere at Durham seem so friendly.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending