The Student Room Group

If you could chose your gender and sex before you were born, which would you pick?

Poll

Which gender would you chose

Knowing what you know about the differences between males and females and the gender norms that come with them which would you pick if you had a choice before birth and why? And what is your current gender? (Note: I am not asking about trans-sexuality really but more about which one you think would be better for your personality and character. (E.g a straight girl could easily have likings that confirm to masculine gender norms and vice versa)

Personally I'm a guy and I'd chose to be a girl if I had the choice.

Because women don't have to prove that they are tough, when men aren't macho they become outcasts. As a geek I'd prefer to be female. Also I like how its socially acceptable for girls to wear more types of clothing and experiment. If a man wore a skirt it would just be seen as weird, even though logically skirts have nothing to do with gender.

Also women tend to be more open with their friends etc and for men like its seen as weak to admit some things etc. As a dude I can't confirm to what society expects from males and have a personaility that matches female gender norms more. Although I am a straight male.

Since I have a lot of female friends, I find that friendships with females are often more genuine and carring about each other although this is not a definite rule.

However as far as careers go I'd still chose a STEM field which are male dominated.

Scroll to see replies

being a girl sounds like hassle so i will stick. childbirth / leaky pipes / instantly viewed in terms of attractiveness by all men and most women. no thank you.
Reply 2
This explains it nicely
Reply 3
Male. I don't really care if it is harder to be a man or a woman. If I were a woman, I would be someone else. I am me, and I am a man.
I don't really feel like gender is that much a part of who I am so I'd probably just be a man again.
Reply 5
Original post by miser
Male. I don't really care if it is harder to be a man or a woman. If I were a woman, I would be someone else. I am me, and I am a man.

THe question was not about wanting to switch its more like which gender norms enforced by society match your personality better.

Gender norms are wrong (IMO) so there is nothing wrong being a male who likes traditionally female stuff and vice versa.
Um ... male.

Unless I can choose what I look like, then I'd go for pretty female.
Reply 7
Original post by kluejay
THe question was not about wanting to switch its more like which gender norms enforced by society match your personality better.

Gender norms are wrong (IMO) so there is nothing wrong being a male who likes traditionally female stuff and vice versa.

I'm wary to think gender and personality can be so easily disentangled.
Original post by miser

This.
I'd rather stay a man - childbirth sounds horrific and cba with monthly periods/PMS. It's more ok to be unattractive as a man and I can pee standing up. Wouldn't give up my dick for anything.

Men don't automatically have to be macho, especially these days. I'm not macho at all and I'm doing fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd still be a girl so I can continue loving musical theatre without judgement
Female. I imagine being a guy would require too much effort.
Girls have it easier.
**** being a woman lol:

Periods
Pregnancy
Menopause
Significantly more likely rape target
Having to wear make-up

Who wants that?
Reply 14
I would stay male. Just because being "man" is harder doesn't mean it is worse. I actually love the fact that the things are harder for me, because they form the person I am, and I wouldn't be the person I had worked so hard to be.
I'd rather be male. Life just seems so much more simple that way.
Original post by Marky Mark
Girls have it easier.

in getting laid

Men do not have to wear makeup
Men do not have a fear of getting sexually assaulted or raped
Men have a better chance of dating at an older age
Men have a greater chance of earning more money
List goes on
(edited 9 years ago)
Your poll is public so I had to vote "other", naturally.

Original post by Blue_Mason
in getting laid

and everything else.

As a girl I don't have to even find a career I can just bag myself a husband and start building a nuclear family where I'm not even expected to work.
Reply 18
Female. Although I imagine periods and labour would be pretty ****ty
Men have it easier getting a good job and high salary.

Women have it easier getting laid.

Pick one.

Quick Reply