The Student Room Group

Low prediction Grades

My AS grades are as follows:

Photography: C grade
English Lit and Lang: E grade
Creative Writing: D grade

I want to study believe or not Creative writing and English lit.
I plan to resit BOTH AS English Modules and the Creative writing exam.

So far i have 180 UCAS points

all the uni's i am looking at are wanting 240-300.

Kingston University is my dream which is asking for 300.

I want to know if it is likely i will get any offers. Also my teachers refuse to predict me higher grades even though i am resitting three exams and HOPEFULLY going to get better than a CDE. I am worried about getting offers.

PLEASE help me out i am extremely stressed.

(edited 9 years ago)
Why do you say that it's "clear" you'll exceed CDE?
Reply 2
Original post by Chunts
My AS grades are as follows:

Photography: C grade
English Lit and Lang: E grade
Creative Writing: D grade

I want to study believe or not Creative writing and English lit.
I plan to resit BOTH AS English Modules and the Creative writing exam.

So far i have 180 UCAS points

all the uni's i am looking at are wanting 240-300.

Kingston University is my dream which is asking for 300.

I want to know if it is likely i will get any offers. Also my teachers refuse to predict me higher grades even though i am resitting three exams and clearly going to get better than a CDE.

PLEASE help me out i am extremely stressed.

How are you clearly going to get better than CDE? You got that the first time and this time you also have your A2 exams to revise so to be honest your teacher isn't wrong in refusing. Unless you can explain to your teacher that you were just having a bad day or have practice exams in which you got a high grades else I don't see anything changing. Most likely you'll have to apply to other uni's, still no harm in applying too one uni with higher UCAS points.
Reply 3
Ridiculous.
"clearly going to get better than a CDE."....???:cool:
Pull yourself together. Stop being so sure of your self and just prove them wrong?!!! Try harder. Clearly, CDE isn't great. You could've and should've done better in the first place since your so sure.
Reply 5
Original post by TLK
How are you clearly going to get better than CDE? You got that the first time and this time you also have your A2 exams to revise so to be honest your teacher isn't wrong in refusing. Unless you can explain to your teacher that you were just having a bad day or have practice exams in which you got a high grades else I don't see anything changing. Most likely you'll have to apply to other uni's, still no harm in applying too one uni with higher UCAS points.

I know why I didn't achieve the grades i wanted as dose my teacher. Plus i still have my A2 year to do so the likely hood of me getting UUU is very slim.
Reply 6
Original post by Alex347_
Why do you say that it's "clear" you'll exceed CDE?

Because since getting my AS results I began revising the AS course i plan to resit. As well as now that i have gone back to college, i do extra classes and work to help me do the best in my resits. Plus getting 1-2-1 help with A2 Courses.
You don't say what the reasons were for you not getting the grades you wanted.

Presumably they are not ones that are easily overcome or your teacher might have agreed to raise the predictions?

You really need to get a detailed list from him/her as to what you should do to improve and create a timetable for yourself to get through whatever work is recommended over the next months. It'll require consistent effort. Everyday you don't do something to improve your grades you need to be aware that you are slipping further away from your dreams.

Have you got hold of past papers and the examiners' reports? These often give great guidance as to what they are looking for at the higher grades. I guess you have not familiarised yourself adequately with the set texts in English Lit and not learnt the English Lang and Photography syllabuses well enough.

Have you perfected your exam technique? It's important to allocate the right amount of time to each question according to the marks to be given. One of the commonist ways that people fail / get poor marks is because they have not completed the paper but spent far too long on the early bits of it. Practise doing this with past papers. Incidentally there is a limit to the questions that can be asked in any subject so the more past papers you do the better you are likely to do.

Do you have a scheme for how to learn them? how to test yourself ? I don't know how much time you are spending on these subjects at present but often people think they are working when they are looking through the window or drinking coffee or chatting with friends.

Studying is not a sociable activity at all and you need to decide how many hours each day you are going to allocate. Similarly if you think you can get good grades and still go on that family holiday at Easter, go clubbing 5 nights a week etc you're deluding yourself. You are up against people who will be slogging away 6 nights a week and will be word perfect : if it can be prepared you must have prepared it. I would suggest that you don't leave your revision to the few weeks before the exams but start now ie learn each new section as you come across it now and at the same time start your revision of everything else you've done - now.
Reply 8
Original post by pickup
You don't say what the reasons were for you not getting the grades you wanted.

Presumably they are not ones that are easily overcome or your teacher might have agreed to raise the predictions?

You really need to get a detailed list from him/her as to what you should do to improve and create a timetable for yourself to get through whatever work is recommended over the next months. It'll require consistent effort. Everyday you don't do something to improve your grades you need to be aware that you are slipping further away from your dreams.

Have you got hold of past papers and the examiners' reports? These often give great guidance as to what they are looking for at the higher grades. I guess you have not familiarised yourself adequately with the set texts in English Lit and not learnt the English Lang and Photography syllabuses well enough.

Have you perfected your exam technique? It's important to allocate the right amount of time to each question according to the marks to be given. One of the commonist ways that people fail / get poor marks is because they have not completed the paper but spent far too long on the early bits of it. Practise doing this with past papers. Incidentally there is a limit to the questions that can be asked in any subject so the more past papers you do the better you are likely to do.

Do you have a scheme for how to learn them? how to test yourself ? I don't know how much time you are spending on these subjects at present but often people think they are working when they are looking through the window or drinking coffee or chatting with friends.

Studying is not a sociable activity at all and you need to decide how many hours each day you are going to allocate. Similarly if you think you can get good grades and still go on that family holiday at Easter, go clubbing 5 nights a week etc you're deluding yourself. You are up against people who will be slogging away 6 nights a week and will be word perfect : if it can be prepared you must have prepared it. I would suggest that you don't leave your revision to the few weeks before the exams but start now ie learn each new section as you come across it now and at the same time start your revision of everything else you've done - now.

Since getting my AS results I began revising the AS course i plan to resit. As well as now that i have gone back to college, i do extra classes and work to help me do the best in my resits. Plus getting 1-2-1 help with A2 Courses. I know what i have to do, i have been to many meetings with my teachers.

However thank you for your response but it dosen't help me with my problem.
If you get good grades you can always contact the admissions tutors of places you fancy after results are out. Preferably immediately.
Reply 10
Original post by pickup
If you get good grades you can always contact the admissions tutors of places you fancy after results are out. Preferably immediately.

Will do.
Hi there Chunts,

Great to hear that Kingston is your dream uni. Unfortunately the course you are looking at is quite competitive, which does mean that the grades get pushed up and you may struggle to be offered a place, however it is up to you if you want to take a gamble and apply. If you do, try and use your personal statement to sell your other strengths and demonstrate why you have the interest in studying the course. As someone above mentioned, there is also the opportunity to try and get a place through Clearing/Adjustment - if you find you do manage to do much better than expected in your A Levels then you can always call us and see if there is a place available, although this is always dependent again on your grades and places available.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do
Kind regards
Kerrie
Reply 12
Original post by Kingston University
Hi there Chunts,

Great to hear that Kingston is your dream uni. Unfortunately the course you are looking at is quite competitive, which does mean that the grades get pushed up and you may struggle to be offered a place, however it is up to you if you want to take a gamble and apply. If you do, try and use your personal statement to sell your other strengths and demonstrate why you have the interest in studying the course. As someone above mentioned, there is also the opportunity to try and get a place through Clearing/Adjustment - if you find you do manage to do much better than expected in your A Levels then you can always call us and see if there is a place available, although this is always dependent again on your grades and places available.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do
Kind regards
Kerrie

Thank you Kerrie,

I still plan on applying to Kingston. But i was wondering if i do and the uni knows i am resitting to improve my grades will they consider giving me a offer? If my personal statement and everything is perfect an ect.
Original post by Chunts
Thank you Kerrie,

I still plan on applying to Kingston. But i was wondering if i do and the uni knows i am resitting to improve my grades will they consider giving me a offer? If my personal statement and everything is perfect an ect.

Hi,
Unfortunately I can not answer this question as I do not work on admissions, you could try contacting them - or maybe come along to an open day before you apply and try and have a conversation with a member of the admissions staff.
Good luck though and I hope you get made a offer!
Kind regards
Kerrie

Quick Reply

Latest