The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a Psychology degree?

After reading so many threads of TSR I have finally managed to gain enough courage to ask this question.

Personally I love Psychology. Even before I had studied it for A level I really loved understanding why and how people act the way they do. The human mind and behaviour is an area of interest and I have spent many hours researching different psychologists and different theories.

Having finished my A levels last year and getting an A* in psychology, I honestly could say I love the subject so much and I would be willing to do a masters and even a PHD if I have to. My main interest would be either educational/occupational psychology. I'm looking for volunteer work at a school as a TA as I've done it before and loved it! But having read the threads on here really make me sad! Is a psychology degree really worthless?

Scroll to see replies

Oh babe. You remind me so much of myself when i was 16, i was so fascinated with psychology at A level and then i studied at university which completely killed my enthusiasm for it. I too thought i would be up for a phd. How stupid i was!
My message to you is if youre really going to do this, make sure you know whats in the syllabus first because it barely resembles the stuff you do at A level. Personally i would choose something else.
Reply 2
Original post by alevels.
After reading so many threads of TSR I have finally managed to gain enough courage to ask this question.

Personally I love Psychology. Even before I had studied it for A level I really loved understanding why and how people act the way they do. The human mind and behaviour is an area of interest and I have spent many hours researching different psychologists and different theories.

Having finished my A levels last year and getting an A* in psychology, I honestly could say I love the subject so much and I would be willing to do a masters and even a PHD if I have to. My main interest would be either educational/occupational psychology. I'm looking for volunteer work at a school as a TA as I've done it before and loved it! But having read the threads on here really make me sad! Is a psychology degree really worthless?

A common problem with the Psychology route is that there is usually a lack of understanding career wise, which is fair.
The first thing to consider is that people who think a higher degree is needed to work in psychology related professions are partially wrong, as an undergraduate degree will still allow you to work in a variety of psychology related environments where you may usually be working under supervision of a higher academic, and this can include areas such as teaching roles/assisting in nurseries, etc, or social support environments such as a community councillor, amongst others.
Having higher degrees just mean that more routes are open, such as working without needing a supervisor, much like any other subject pathway.

Even if you don't end up in a clear 'psychology related' career; you are still going to look appealing when applying for other jobs. For example: Business, Media, and Advertisement are some of the highest rate employers, and a Psychology degree (any level) will have strong links to these areas (e.g. the effect of colour in adverts, etc). Psychology can also show that you are a hard working individual with literacy and a keen interest (the topic is heavily research based- showing evaluation and interest along with the ability to write good essays, etc). This in combination with practical abilities from experiments/practical investigations will present a variety of functional transferable skills.

The possible options really aren't as closed as some people perceive them to be, so if you enjoy the course; keep doing it.

No degree is worthless, and finding one that meets your interests can be hard, so it sounds like Psychology will always be a readily available option to you.

What are you specifically worried about? If you do psychology at a good university and get lots of work experience (in the area you are planning to apply for later on) then it can open lots of doors. People who leave university with 2.is in psychology aren't garunteed a job anywhere- but a degree alone doesn't really garuntee many people a job these days (unless you do something like medicine/engineering).
Reply 4
Original post by iammichealjackson
What are you specifically worried about? If you do psychology at a good university and get lots of work experience (in the area you are planning to apply for later on) then it can open lots of doors. People who leave university with 2.is in psychology aren't garunteed a job anywhere- but a degree alone doesn't really garuntee many people a job these days (unless you do something like medicine/engineering).

I guess I'm worried about what jobs are open to me in a sense. Like, I've talked to people who have studied it and all I've heard is negative comments about how it's a worthless subject, it doesn't lead to anything and it's a pointless degree. It worries me because I love the subject so much but I don't want to be unemployed after graduating. I'd really love to become an educational/occupational psychologist. Also, if I was to go to a lower ranked uni and come out with a 1st would I be accepted onto a masters/pHD in a better university?
It's not a worthless degree in the slightest, I love studying it and I've benefitted a lot from the degree in terms of skills and research understanding.

The trouble lies in it's popularity, it's one of the most popular degrees which makes post-graduate places extremely competitive. The competition for clinical/ educational places is so competitive. That's not to say you won't get a place, you just need to get a good degree, lots of work experience and patience :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by TolerantBeing
It's not a worthless degree in the slightest, I love studying it and I've benefitted a lot from the degree in terms of skills and research understanding.

The trouble lies in it's popularity, it's one of the most popular degrees which makes post-graduate places extremely competitive. The competition for clinical/ educational places is so competitive. That's not to say you won't get a place, you just need to get a good degree, lots of work experience and patience :smile:

Hey :smile: if you don't mind me asking, what university are you at? And I think you're correct. Apparently, I've heard that a lot of people don't actually continue to Masters or higher education after doing their bachelors? And also, do you think I'm better off going to a lower ranked university this year and getting a first or waiting a year, going to a good university and hopefully getting a 1st/2:1? I'm really baffled.
Most graduate jobs don't specify a particular subject just a grade so it is far from useless
Hey :smile: if you don't mind me asking, what university are you at? And I think you're correct. Apparently, I've heard that a lot of people don't actually continue to Masters or higher education after doing their bachelors? And also, do you think I'm better off going to a lower ranked university this year and getting a first or waiting a year, going to a good university and hopefully getting a 1st/2:1? I'm really baffled.

I dont understand the question. You cant really plan things like that. Choose the university that you like, and get the best degree that you can. Dont choose a crap uni because you think its going to be easier.

I'm at Cardiff and currently doing a placement year :smile: I really suggest looking into uni's with a placement year because that year of work experience really gives you a head start when you graduate.

I think a large proportion of graduates just don't want to do further study, but due to the high volume of graduates a lot still end up fighting for post-grad places. If you're determined, you will get a post-graduate place, you just need to tick the right boxes and be willing to re-apply if it comes down to it!

Hmm I'm really not sure on that one- depends on what you define as low ranking?
I have more than one psychology degree but if I could go back to 18 I would never have studied psychology. Choose something with an almost guaranteed job instead.
Study it for only 2 reasons:

1. You find the topic interesting; look up the type of things you'd learn and do some reading. If this engages you then brilliant.
2. You'd benefit from having a degree; don't listen to people banging on about "what can you do with this or that degree?" Most people don't directly use their degree for the next step anyway (even if you continue into research) but a degree can open wider doors career wise.
Reply 12
Original post by nicatre
Study it for only 2 reasons:

1. You find the topic interesting; look up the type of things you'd learn and do some reading. If this engages you then brilliant.
2. You'd benefit from having a degree; don't listen to people banging on about "what can you do with this or that degree?" Most people don't directly use their degree for the next step anyway (even if you continue into research) but a degree can open wider doors career wise.

^ this makes sense to me. I definitely find it interesting and I honestly do believe that it's a beneficial degree. I just wanted to know other people's opinion of whether it's seen as being pointless. This is helpful thank you!
Reply 13
Original post by TolerantBeing
I'm at Cardiff and currently doing a placement year :smile: I really suggest looking into uni's with a placement year because that year of work experience really gives you a head start when you graduate.

I think a large proportion of graduates just don't want to do further study, but due to the high volume of graduates a lot still end up fighting for post-grad places. If you're determined, you will get a post-graduate place, you just need to tick the right boxes and be willing to re-apply if it comes down to it!

Hmm I'm really not sure on that one- depends on what you define as low ranking?

That's awesome! That's what I was looking for, a university with a placement year, because experience definitely matters! And I meant a university like Middlesex?
^ this makes sense to me. I definitely find it interesting and I honestly do believe that it's a beneficial degree. I just wanted to know other people's opinion of whether it's seen as being pointless. This is helpful thank you!

You'r very welcome :smile:

There is so much more to learning than "how is this going to help you?". We learn because it's interesting. End of.

Pick up 'Teach Yourself: Psychology'. It's a great introduction to the wide ranging topics encompassed by Psychology. Just keep your mind open. A lot of people who take it get almost scared of the biological aspects which is silly because psychology is a biological science so you can't escape it. There will be a plethora of topics you've never even heard of so just go learn about it all :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by nicatre
You'r very welcome :smile:

There is so much more to learning than "how is this going to help you?". We learn because it's interesting. End of.

Pick up 'Teach Yourself: Psychology'. It's a great introduction to the wide ranging topics encompassed by Psychology. Just keep your mind open. A lot of people who take it get almost scared of the biological aspects which is silly because psychology is a biological science so you can't escape it. There will be a plethora of topics you've never even heard of so just go learn about it all :smile:

I definitely will give it a read. I love the biological aspect! It goes into depth which at the beginning can be a bit daunting, but once you get the understanding it becomes more easier to understand i guess :smile:
I definitely will give it a read. I love the biological aspect! It goes into depth which at the beginning can be a bit daunting, but once you get the understanding it becomes more easier to understand i guess :smile:

It's all one big picture. Behaviour is dependent on brain, genes, physiology, upbringing, evolution, interactions, learning etc :smile:
That's awesome! That's what I was looking for, a university with a placement year, because experience definitely matters! And I meant a university like Middlesex?

whats wrong with middlesex :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by Jeejee95
whats wrong with middlesex :frown:

Nothing aha, it's just not highly ranked for psychology, but I wouldn't mind going there. It's quite near to me, but I'm not sure about the teaching standard. Do you do psychology at middlesex?
I guess I'm worried about what jobs are open to me in a sense. Like, I've talked to people who have studied it and all I've heard is negative comments about how it's a worthless subject, it doesn't lead to anything and it's a pointless degree. It worries me because I love the subject so much but I don't want to be unemployed after graduating. I'd really love to become an educational/occupational psychologist. Also, if I was to go to a lower ranked uni and come out with a 1st would I be accepted onto a masters/pHD in a better university?

Few degrees will garuntee you a job, you normally need lots of work experience and other CV filler to stand out from a crowd. Psychology post-graduate is pretty competetive no matter the field, but if you do a phd you can get paid for it and it will give you more useful skills. Its like a humanities degree in a way because most people who graduate do not go on to be psychologists, but do other graduate jobs.

Getting onto masters courses can be quite easy, especially if they are taught. The main criterion for getting in is paying the tuition fee.

Quick Reply