The Student Room Group

Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

The current voting age as you all know is 18. My question is, with the voting age being lowered to include 16 and 17 year olds for the Scottish Independence Referendum, should the voting age be changed to the criteria 16 and left secondary school across the UK?

A lot of 16 year olds are interested in politics, and lowering the voting age could allow for a more politically aware population across the board. Stating that they must have left secondary school also ensures that it does not interfere with their GCSEs.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

You can join the army/leave school. So yes.
Reply 2
Raise it to 21.
I don't think there's a "right answer" here, it's just a judgement call. I would prefer the current voting age of 18 to be kept.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't think there's a "right answer" here, it's just a judgement call. I would prefer the current voting age of 18 to be kept.

True. But out of curiosity, what's your reasoning?
I got an idea. Why not raise it to those 40+ and have massive amounts of wealth/property. Like the good old days. Also no women voting please.
Most 16 year-olds I know don't know what the policy behind any party is, never mind voting one them. If 16 year olds were allowed to vote, they would just vote the party their parent's vote.
So no, 18 is fine. People start moving out, find a job and go to college, they explore new ideas and develop their own concept of what political party they want ruling the country.
As a 16 year old in under a month, I would say no.
There has to be a balance of giving power to the people and giving the vote for people who actually care about these things.
I suspect about a quarter of my year would vote and going through all this trouble for about 25-60% of a demographic seems like too much of a struggle.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
You can join the army/leave school. So yes.

They are changing it though, so you have to remain in full time education until your 18 so you can't leave school, not sure where that leaves the army.
But as it stands, I agree with you.

Original post by Simes
Raise it to 21.

Why? It would just completely disillusion everyone under that age.
No, it should stay at 18 because 90% of 16 years olds I know do not care about politics at all and most of them would be incapable of making an informed decision.
Yes.

I'm Scottish and having the vote meant that politics was talked about in the school for the first time, whether people went out their way or not they were hearing what the policies and consequences were. Most people my age were more informed than the old people.
Reply 11
Voting age should be raised if anything.
YES! I as a 16 year old probably know more about politics and the government than some of those already voting.
I can and would make an informed choice on who to vote for an why

Should defianitly be lowered

Politics is discussed by 16 year olds a lot more than most people think! Even people who dont take the subject at A-level (like i have) have more of an understanding than some if not most adults
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by luckylaurax
No, it should stay at 18 because 90% of 16 years olds I know do not care about politics at all and most of them would be incapable of making an informed decision.

Like most of the voting population. To be honest being 16 makes little difference. If you a politically aware then you will be a politically aware adult, and vice versa.

At 16 you are capable of making just as an informed opinion as anyone else imo.

Also poeple beocme more politically involved when they feel like they can make some kind of difference and what they are voting on matters. See Scotland.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Most 16 year-olds I know don't know what the policy behind any party is, never mind voting one them. If 16 year olds were allowed to vote, they would just vote the party their parent's vote.
So no, 18 is fine. People start moving out, find a job and go to college, they explore new ideas and develop their own concept of what political party they want ruling the country.

I disagree with you there. Though some people are completely disinterested, those people will just not vote, or will vote for the true protest party (Monster Raving Loony).
But lots of 16 year olds are interested in politics and are angry that they are locked out. There is a youth parliament, there is a youth wing of practically every party. I don't think they would just vote for what their parents vote for either, as they can make up their own minds and come to their own conclusions.
No.

Have you seen the maturity of some 16 year olds today? :lolwut:

Edit: I'm not suggesting that all 16 year olds won't make informed choices but we won't know how many are actually taking their choice seriously. I guess you could say this for some young adults and adults too. :erm:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Carterj09
YES! I as a 16 year old probably know more about politics and the government than some of those already voting.

Politics is discussed by 16 year olds a lot more than most people think! Even people who dont take the subject at A-level (like i have) have more of an understanding than some if not most adults

Sorry but I think you are most definitely in the minority. Plenty of 16 year old would end up voting for the people who promise them the best lies.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple

If that's the logic then it should be raised higher than 18. Most 18 year olds are still at home and the ones that have moved out won't have been gone long enough to have developed their own decision.
Original post by Aria Enoshima
As a 16 year old in under a month, I would say no.
There has to be a balance of giving power to the people and giving the vote for people who actually care about these things.
I suspect about a quarter of my year would vote and going through all this trouble for about 25-60% of a demographic seems like too much of a struggle.

That is a good point. But you said that 60% might vote, so is it really fair to with-hold the vote just to please the remaining 40%?

Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Yes.

I'm Scottish and having the vote meant that politics was talked about in the school for the first time, whether people went out their way or not they were hearing what the policies and consequences were. Most people my age were more informed than the old people.

I agree, politics should be talked about as it affects all of us, and lowering the voting age would allow for more open discussions. At the moment, politics is rarely talked about between age groups, lowering the voting age would remedy this.

Original post by Carterj09

Completely agree with you.
The simple fact is at 16 few people have a clue. It will just lead to populism. The reason Salmond wanted 16 year olds to vote wasn't based on some democratic improvement its because he's selling a pipe dream of promises and wants a many idealistic young dreamers to be able to vote for it as possible. 71% of them voted yes compared to the overall of 45% , gives a hint as to why it was done. It takes until you're early 20's to properly figure out where you stand politically I think, you need a good period following politics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending