The Student Room Group

HAT 2015 thread - historians, gather here

Discuss in this thread the HAT if you're doing it this November.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, I can't seem to find a copy of the Oxford HAT 2005 anywhere online, does anybody know where I can download a copy or post a link to a site which has a copy for me?

If anybody knows the questions that would also be helpful, even if I don't have the source I can have a go at the essay questions.

Thank you :-)
Reply 2
Original post by SlickNick
Who's taking it, and what are you doing to prepare for it?

I've done the 2004 and 2005 practice tests, and by self-scoring based on the guidlines they put out, I'm doing pretty well.

Not to sound ignorant, I'm American so forgive me. :smile:
How do you find material to study for the HAT?
Reply 3
Original post by ssswims
Not to sound ignorant, I'm American so forgive me. :smile:
How do you find material to study for the HAT?

You need to follow the OP link above and scroll down. I have seen broad discussion of stats and what they do with the results but it seems to have moved. Also try the Merton College website (history).
Reply 5
Original post by Pars12
You need to follow the OP link above and scroll down. I have seen broad discussion of stats and what they do with the results but it seems to have moved. Also try the Merton College website (history).

More links:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2159966&p=40026282#post40026282
(hat 2012)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2389724&highlight=history+aptitude+test+2013&x=9&y=8
(hat 2013)
Reply 6
Anyone know what a good HAT score would be? Just so I know what I should aim for on my tests

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ssswims
Anyone know what a good HAT score would be? Just so I know what I should aim for on my tests

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by can'tbeleftblank
Generally the cut-off is 50-55. A score of 55+ is your safest bet. Depends on how easy the paper is and how well people do on it - last year was 57 I think? :smile:

Joining up two quotes.
Reply 8
Pars12 --

Thank you very much! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm both excited and nervous for the HAT - I feel like it plays to my strengths fairly well so hopefully it'll all be okay!
Scavi2008 - are you from the UK? I'm from the US so I'm wondering, are you or any of your classmates doing any studying for the HAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ssswims
Scavi2008 - are you from the UK? I'm from the US so I'm wondering, are you or any of your classmates doing any studying for the HAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I'm from England! At school we have an Oxbridge history group where we're working on interview skills/the HAT - this is quite unusual it's just my school has quite a good record of sending people to Oxbridge. (I go to a public school by the way)
Wow you're quite lucky! Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by intheTSRspirit
Discuss in this thread the HAT if you're doing it this November...

Sorry, but this is going to bother me. Aren't you the HAT 2014 thread?
Original post by OXHATHUME
Hello, I can't seem to find a copy of the Oxford HAT 2005 anywhere online, does anybody know where I can download a copy or post a link to a site which has a copy for me?

If anybody knows the questions that would also be helpful, even if I don't have the source I can have a go at the essay questions.

Thank you :-)

I have it, because it was still online when I took my HAT. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you :smile:
Original post by Pars12
Sorry, but this is going to bother me. Aren't you the HAT 2014 thread?

2015 entry is what is meant. . .
Is there a reason why the 2005 HAT paper is so much in demand? I've got it from my History teacher but it's nothing particularly special from what I can see.
Anyway, here it is:

Spoiler

Marking scheme:

Spoiler

Reply 17
Original post by intheTSRspirit
2015 entry is what is meant. . .

Yes, but it won't follow on smoothly from last year (2013) or the year before (2012). Let's hope next year don't call their HAT "2015" as well!:biggrin:
Reply 18
Looking forward (in a weird way) to sitting this. Handed in a past paper to my teacher yesterday and was criticized by my teacher for having cited multiple different historical periods (she told me I should use just one) in the 'own knowledge' essay question; does anyone know if it is actual Oxford policy to mark down such essays? I don't see why it would be, but I'm very keen not to make such an error.
Original post by saea96
Looking forward (in a weird way) to sitting this. Handed in a past paper to my teacher yesterday and was criticized by my teacher for having cited multiple different historical periods (she told me I should use just one) in the 'own knowledge' essay question; does anyone know if it is actual Oxford policy to mark down such essays? I don't see why it would be, but I'm very keen not to make such an error.

Based on the fact that they mark you down if you go over the word limits on the first three questions, and if you don't follow the questions exactly, I would say it's very likely that they would mark you down for such a thing.

To be absolutely clear, the teacher is correct - you should be citing a single historical period in significant depth, rather than multiple periods. That's what they are expecting.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending